PDA

View Full Version : Your top five favourite game endings.

Bloo
13th May 2008, 05:49 PM
I'm just curious about this, what are your top five favourite endings? Why do you like them? What does a good ending mean for you? I myself can't describe why I like certain endings, other than perhaps that they're "just amazing". I also find some amazing games can have crappy endings, take the ending of all the Half Life 2 games, for me (FOR ME! Please people, if you're going to post in this thread, remember everything is subjective..) they never do it right, it's all rushed and sudden at the end usually, it makes me feel that they just tacted it on and justify it by saying "Well it's to continue the plot!".

But anyway, my top five endings, with the best till last of course. ;)

5) Jade Empire. (Good guy ending). No one here except Squizzel has played this buut, the ending for it is a masterpiece, you're the only guy who can save the world etc... and the ending lets you meet a goddess, and rather than them make you all-powerful or whatever, you and her, simply bow like in a martial arts film. Thats it. You meet a god, and you act humble. Perfect good guy ending for me.

4) World in Conflict. So the entire last mission is the usual "We have no other choice" kind of deal, and after an intense and epic battle you win. Then you have the two enlisted soldiers who's story has been played in cutscenes throughout the game, in the ruins of Seattle, listening to a cd player. What are they listening to? Whitesnake. THE GAME FADES OUT WITH WHITESNAKE PEOPLE!

3) Call of Duty 4. Any other FPS would do the fucking boring ending for this. Gaz or someone will be yelling "TAKE OUT THE HIND!" and you have to run for cover from it's bullets while finding RPG's to take the bitch down. You do it, it explodes everyone is happy. But nope.
Someone yells "the tanker is about to blow, move!" It explodes and everyone is knocked down. You look about in distress as everyone around you is shot and killed by the badguys, and you're next, buut, you aren't, your captain with his last breath slides a pistol across and you take everyone down. Perfect. Then the choppers come and the music plays, the recurring Russian St. tells you that you're going to be alright and it fades out. It fits the game perfectly.

2) Bioshock. (Goodguy ending). It fits the game as well, Bioshock throughout deals with many things, political philosophy and the cost of genetic engineering to name a few, but it deals with family, and your own family infact. Suffice to say, this being Bioshock you have none by the end of it. Except you do now. You in the ending do an unthinkably selfless thing with no reward in it what-so-ever as the narrator says, except it ends that you do have a reward. A real family. It made me cry. (As with anything in Bioshock, you'd actually have to play it to understand it).

And the best ending ever (for me and for now)...

Mass Effect. It is pure cheese, you're in the biggest space station in the galaxy, there is a space battle against an amazingly powerful enemy going on outside, and you're fighting it's last ditch pawn and plan. You win, the fleet outside blows up the enemy and everything is perfect and heroic. Except, a stray piece of spaceship hurtles towards where you and your team are, your character only has time to yell "Go!" before it hits, the music implying it's bad.
Then in the wreckage of where you are, some really sad music plays, a search and rescue team though, finds your companions and the leader of it/your characters mentor asks "Are you alright? Where is the commander?" to which you're companion only shakes their head, it looks like you're dead. Everyone thinks you're dead... including you the player, it's a really sad moment, then the music begins to change, there is some movement from the rubble and BAM! Your character comes running out with only a broken arm epically posing for the camera. As they stride towards the group your character gives a big "I really am an arrogant tosspot" grin, in a good way. What a way to play with the players emotions.

So thats my top five game endings, so say your ones!

Vicious Horizon
13th May 2008, 06:01 PM
OMFG! I just typed it all out, and then firefox refreshed the page!?!? GRR

Darkeagle
13th May 2008, 06:06 PM
I dont have 5 but

THE PORTAL ENDING!!

VoX
13th May 2008, 06:38 PM
5. Call of Duty 4 - Although a very short game, the ending at first dissapointed me, it seemed too rushed and I tend not to like games where everyone dies, but having played it a few times it's a great ending level to play and I can see why they did it, how it ties into the story especially with the news reader, and it is not a good victory or a bad victory.

4. Portal - Although the game seems rushed due to the small story line, the ending level and the actual ending is quite frankly awesome, it again leaves a sequel open. "This was a triumph..."

3. GTA: Vice City - You (Tommy Vercety) and the other guy standing over the one guy that fucked your life over, one of you holding a Desert Eagle, the other one a Magnum, you have the view from the badguy and they just lean over and say "This is the end pal..." and both shoot him in the face.

2. Tony Hawks American Wasteland: You finally get the dream skate park and it fades out to Filthy Gourgeous by the Scissor Sisters.

1. Ratchet And Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - You kill the badguy, all is happy etc etc (might I add that the first time round the final battle is f**king hard!) but then just as you are enjoying yourself, clank gets taken away, it's really sad. It's great because it majorly opens up for Secret Agent Clank coming out on PSP.

Calneon
13th May 2008, 07:06 PM
I can't really put these in an order, been so long since I finished most of them. I wouldnt be able to say one is better than the other, and you can't really judge by going through a second time. Ill try my best though.

5. Bioshock
4. Half-life 2 (still waiting for THE END)
3. Call of Duty 4
2. Warcraft 3 (The whole Warcraft 3 story is abdolutely stunning, the end just tops it off, both vanilla and the expansion)
1. Legend of Zelda (Legend of Zelda is my favourite videogame franchise ever, Ocarina of time, Wind Waker, Link to the Past, Phantom Hourglass, all pure genius)

Bloo
13th May 2008, 07:18 PM
Ahh true, the Zelda endings are wonderful, but I think it's more the story throughout rather than the ending that does it. The WC storyline is also an epic, Arthas on his throne beats the World Tree sequence every time though...

Chazlene
13th May 2008, 07:50 PM
Portal, COD:4, etc. all go without saying, But one of my favs is when you complete a campaign on M2:TW. Although it doesn't end any sort of storyline, it is really powerful, seeing your king being crowned by the Pope as the ruler of your nation's empire, with some booming narrator's voice, flags and trumpets of your nation everywhere, and hordes of people outside the castle cheering as well as fireworks. The picture of the king and his wife then fades to a book drawing, which then closes and some monk guy puts it on the shelf, finishing your nation's greatest period in history.

And I can't be bothered to think of anymore right now.

Snerfs
13th May 2008, 11:23 PM
im sorry i have no order, but any cinematic ending of Final Fantasy for the playstation series is unbeatable in ANY standard. In any game of theirs, it leaves lots of oppertunities for other games as well as the great graphics and attention to detail for each little spec.

Final Fantasy imba

5 - Final Fantasy

4 - Final Fantasy

3 - Final Fantasy

2 - Final Fantasy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 -

You Guessed It

Final Fantasy

Bloo
13th May 2008, 11:45 PM
The only FF that I liked was FF7, me and most people probably because that was the height of the series.

Marshy
14th May 2008, 09:33 PM
I loved the normal halo 3 ending the servise for the lost men and scratched on the ship wing 117

ez64
14th May 2008, 09:52 PM
Im going with Warcraft 3 as the world/story spawned something so massive its now unreal.

spawnofebil
15th May 2008, 05:52 PM
I don't really have a favourite, because the games I usually play are all online...

Hmm...

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. That game had the coolest ending ever, and it even referenced Plato and Aristotle! How cool is that!

Bloo
15th May 2008, 06:28 PM
Ahh yes, Civilisation games (And Alpha Centuri) usually have great endings, mainly because the achievement of bringing your nation from the dawn of time to space is truly outstanding.

Which ending may I ask spawn are you talking about, the human ascension one?

spawnofebil
15th May 2008, 06:37 PM
Yeah, the Ascent to Transcendence, when you overcome the limitations of the human race and all that crap.

Nietszche is win (even if he was a bit of an emo philosopher).

CILLIT BANG
15th May 2008, 07:16 PM
World of Warcraft has the best ending as there is no end :O think about it

sloat
12th July 2008, 12:42 AM
Let's see...

Final Fantasy VIII
Diablo 2
Portal
Planescape Torment

And... uh... Man, I thought this would be easy. I guess it just shows how many video game endings suck.

Calneon
12th July 2008, 08:46 AM
Heh, or that you haven't played many of them :D. Welcome to the site Sloat btw, haven't seen you around before.

Nicknack
12th July 2008, 11:04 AM
5)F.E.A.R
4)COD4
3)halflife 2
2) (i know the game was really short and simple but) GUN
1)(probably) Portal

sloat
15th July 2008, 02:07 AM
Heh, or that you haven't played many of them :D. Welcome to the site Sloat btw, haven't seen you around before.

Heh, just registered.

I think part of the problem is that I tend to think of games in terms of their gameplay rather than their story, so I'm kind of at a loss to come up with really memorable endings.

Calneon
16th July 2008, 08:14 PM
Yeah same here, but some do just stand out as great endings. Also, the ones that have the best storyline overall usually have the best ending too :D.