PDA

View Full Version : Mac Vs Windows - Your opinions?

Paper Tiger
1st June 2008, 04:31 PM
Just wanted to know what you lot think about Mac, like it's advantages over windowsm stability etc. Anything you can think of!

I'm now considering a Mac over a PC, as I'm fed up of the problems with Windows OSs.

Thanks.

ez64
1st June 2008, 04:47 PM
I'm now considering a Mac over a PC, as I'm fed up of the problems with Windows OSs.

With a mac its the other way around they have far worse problems. thats all im going to say on the matter as there are too many google results you can look at.

Paper Tiger
1st June 2008, 04:48 PM
Well, I'm finding Windows unreliable at the moment. Have done for a while.

Chalex4
1st June 2008, 05:31 PM
You can't play any of the decent games on a Mac, without installing Windows again!

What reliability issues are you having?

Isphera
1st June 2008, 05:35 PM
Guitar Hero 3 is on Mac.
World of Warcraft is on Mac.

What else do you need? But no, seriously, Windows > Mac

Paper Tiger
1st June 2008, 05:46 PM
The school where my dad works have Windows and OS X on a dual boot.

I'd do that so I can play games when I want, or when I'm not, use Mac. When was the last time you lot saw me in a server? Not very often...

I'm not having MAJOR problems, but it was really frustrating when someone asks can do you something for a party later, you say yes, then to find out that actually, you can't 'cos something isn't working right/won't work.

I also fancy a change too, want to learn new things. Work on a system that has a lot more features (OS X Vs Vista [imo, still more features, more reliable OS and looks better]).

You guys being majorly into gaming will prefer XP/Vista is you really like, but I'm not REALLY into it all like you are. I'll play them from time to time, when I have nothing else to do, but now I have other stuff, like playing guitar, working and a training course in web design. I don't have time for games like I used to.

Just want to try something different and want something that works well straight from the box!

[PERSONAL OPINION!]

Calneon
1st June 2008, 06:16 PM
I've had Vista for the best part of 6 months, and XP for a long long time before that, and I've never (from what I can remember) encountered a problem that a little thinking couldn't solve. What sort of problems are you having?

Paper Tiger
1st June 2008, 06:18 PM
it was trying to convert a video file format. Every time I did it (a 3.6GB file) it lost audio!

I also have problems with opening files people send me. They come up as unknown file types ALL the time.

Calneon
1st June 2008, 06:25 PM
Hmm, well I don't know anything about video converting, but it seems to me that it's the editing program and not the OS that's at fault.

When people send you files, you need to make sure you have the program that opens that file. Look at the extension and google it if you're unsure.

Paper Tiger
1st June 2008, 06:27 PM
What program would I need to open a .jpeg? Windows Picture and fax viewer... Doesn't work.

Open a .doc file, OpenOffice.org (latest version), doesn't work.

Chalex4
1st June 2008, 06:28 PM
Just as Phantom said, a Mac isn't going to convert a file any better. What is the extension of the file you are trying to convert and what programs have you tried? Some file types can be a real bitch to do, on any OS.

What are the file extensions of the files you can't open?

EDIT: see post below for answers.

Chalex4
1st June 2008, 06:30 PM
Those programs should be able to open those files. What are the errors you are getting?

Paper Tiger
1st June 2008, 06:32 PM
Unrecognised file type

Chalex4
1st June 2008, 06:34 PM
Are you sure that this is all the .jpeg and .doc files you try to open? They could be corrupt.

You could always have a crappy Windows installation, so it might be worth re-installing Windows.

Paper Tiger
1st June 2008, 06:41 PM
I have x64, which speaks for itself.

The files aren't corrupt either, Most of the .doc files are being used right before they send it to me as they've just been created.

Isphera
1st June 2008, 09:51 PM
I like the fact that Chalex instantly came to the aid of Phantom. I don't know what I am implying by that, I am just saying. They know each other in RL too. Hmmm.

Again - Hypocrite - I'd do the same for a Team Lush member.

Calneon
1st June 2008, 10:25 PM
What makes you think he came to my aid? What made you think I was in trouble?

ez64
2nd June 2008, 12:11 AM
I have x64, which speaks for itself.

The files aren't corrupt either, Most of the .doc files are being used right before they send it to me as they've just been created.

If thats xp x64 its not stable enough for normal end users, if your not a tech head go for vista x64 only the 64 bit xp has so many problems its untrue and unless you know what your doing and beyond its not worth using.

Isphera
2nd June 2008, 07:40 AM
What makes you think he came to my aid? What made you think I was in trouble?

I didn't say you were in trouble, I just said that because he always seemed to post the same as you and at the beginning put 'Just as Phantom said' a bit. And was within 5 minutes of each other.

Bloo
2nd June 2008, 09:25 AM
Oric is just trying to spam to get his posts up in a thread he can't really help out in. :P

--- Woo i'm doing the same! Woo! woo! ---

Calneon
2nd June 2008, 12:36 PM
I didn't say you were in trouble, I just said that because he always seemed to post the same as you and at the beginning put 'Just as Phantom said' a bit. And was within 5 minutes of each other.
Soooo, what are you suggesting?

Isphera
2nd June 2008, 01:19 PM
Nothing. I promise :D

If anything, it's not about you :)

VoX
2nd June 2008, 05:32 PM
I also fancy a change too, want to learn new things. Work on a system that has a lot more features

Daemon and I are using Ubuntu Linux 7.1 in a virtual PC for a change, although this takes away most of the risk of anything going wrong and affecting our Windows OS, it does restrict allot of things, however a dual boot of Windows and Ubuntu would allow you to use all the features, and it does have some pretty nice 3D effects that could make Vista jelous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyl_dEO8KkI

The 3D cube is not fancy editing, it is a way of cycling through the different desktops the Ubuntu gives you (You can switch between several workspaces as if you had multiple monitors) however it is running a Vista Aero skin and Compiz Fusion.

Might I also point out that Ubuntu is COMPLETELY FREE and there are very little viruses for Linux.

See me if you want a link to the free .iso file that I used (not the newest release.)

Calneon
2nd June 2008, 06:00 PM
Nothing. I promise :D

If anything, it's not about you :)

Paper Tiger
2nd June 2008, 06:59 PM
I've pretty much decided I'm gonna go for a mac, with OS X Leopard on it. BUT run Windows XP 32 from inside Leopard itself as if I'm running any normal application. So I can run it like a Mac and a PC at the same time. If it's possible, I'd use a dual screen set-up with the spaces (I know Dual Screen is possible, but not sure how it'll work with spaces) and have both running side by side... Which also, is apparently very easy to set up and there is actual software you can do it with.

:) Thanks for the help guys!

VoX
2nd June 2008, 07:07 PM
My mum uses a Macbook for work and has a runs WinXP on it through VMWare and it runs smoothly and unlike some virtual machines, it recognises your real processor and GFX Card.

Paper Tiger
4th June 2008, 02:18 PM
VMWare Fusion...
You can also use Parallel desktops to do the same thing. I might use VMWare fusion though as it supports multiple (up to 60) OSs.

Vicious Horizon
4th June 2008, 06:40 PM
Have you seen the video of a Mac computer running windows? It's Half-Life 2, full graphics, and even with three grenades going off at the same time, the computer doesn't go under 60fps ^^

I prefer Macs because I use alot of graphics programs. (I'm not saying I'm good with them mind.)

VoX
4th June 2008, 07:10 PM
Ah VMWare Fusion, that's the one she uses.

ez64
4th June 2008, 08:12 PM
Have you seen the video of a Mac computer running windows? It's Half-Life 2, full graphics, and even with three grenades going off at the same time, the computer doesn't go under 60fps ^^

I prefer Macs because I use alot of graphics programs. (I'm not saying I'm good with them mind.)

what?

what?

sorry I nearly bust a lung, a "mac", theres not just one mac.

any mac pc can be bought as a pc with the same hardware as -£400 pretty much everytime and a lot more on high spec hardware, install OSX if you really want it but anything a mac can do a pc can do better. :) sorry its just I dont want to get into this arguement again when its started and finished on oh so many thousands of sites.

Oh and you didnt just try to justify buying a mac for its gaming potential did you ?

Paper Tiger
4th June 2008, 10:00 PM
I never asked for an arguement, I just wanted opinions. If you think it's gonna get into the arguement state, request it to be locked!

As I said, I won't be gaming THAT much, I'm getting it more 'cos I want a change and something that's reliable. (Now that's gonna start something as someone's gonna say it's something I'm doing that's causing the reliability problem!)

aarathy
7th August 2008, 07:54 AM
Personally i like windows. It is very user friendly. I did not use MAC at any time.

Paper Tiger
7th August 2008, 09:53 AM
I'll let Oric deal with this... lol

Isphera
7th August 2008, 10:42 AM
Two things
DO NOT NECRO

and

DO NOT ADVERTISE OTHER HOSTING COMPANIES

Calneon
7th August 2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah seriously, who is this guy? He's necroing everything.