PDA

View Full Version : Looking For a New Headset

VoX
14th August 2008, 06:28 PM
Some of you have heard my kinda buggered mic on Teamspeak, so I've decided I'll have a look round for a new one, this ones stayed with me for about one and a half years, but I can't find one like it.

My budget is £20 but I'm willing to stretch further to about £30 if it is the headset of ultimate awesomeness.

No idea what my on-board sound is but a standard stereo headset would do me fine.

I've been looking at this (http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/5889171/Sandberg-USB-HeadSet/Product.html) one, however I have never used the USB interface for a headset so I don't no if the sound quality is good and if it is compatible with my motherboard (my mobo is really weird.)

What are people's suggestions? I would preferably like one that is quite substantial as in quite large as I find smaller headsets to have a tinny sound.

EDIT: I wear my headset allot, so comfort is also an issue.

Paper Tiger
14th August 2008, 06:55 PM
hmm... On a £20-£30 budget... Ask Giles (ez64) what his Creative Fatal1ty is like... It's £28-£30, so just within your price range.

Toxic
14th August 2008, 07:09 PM
I have the Creative Fatal1ty :P I've had it for about a year and a bit now. It's good quality and really comfy (makes you look like a bit of a wierdo xD). My mic broke because I stood on it :( But apart from all of that, it's a great headset and is a really good buy :).

VoX
14th August 2008, 07:11 PM
I saw a Fatal1ty headset and it looked pretty good and it was only £18 on Play, but it didn't say how it connected so I assume it is the standard 2 prong thingie.

What's it like ez64?

Paper Tiger
14th August 2008, 07:20 PM
I'm asuming by two prong "thingie" you mean 2 x 3.5mm jack plugs? :)

I'm guessing it is, unless otherwise stated as USB. However, there is a USB version available, at a greater price may I add.

VoX
14th August 2008, 07:21 PM
Yeah, them things :D.

I was reading reviews and they all praise the sound quality and comfort, however most say that the build quality isn't really there, but they look a lot better than my current ones.

Paper Tiger
14th August 2008, 08:02 PM
We'll have to wait for Giles to give his opinion on 'em. He brought a pair at i34

VoX
14th August 2008, 08:04 PM
Oh god, a review says if you have longish hair, it is likely to get stuck in them =/.

Paper Tiger
14th August 2008, 08:22 PM
:S How? On what?

VoX
14th August 2008, 08:42 PM
Not sure, probably the mechanism that extends the headphones down.

ez64
14th August 2008, 08:44 PM
I saw a Fatal1ty headset and it looked pretty good and it was only £18 on Play, but it didn't say how it connected so I assume it is the standard 2 prong thingie.

What's it like ez64?

The headset is just cheap tat but its got a mic so I use it for TS, dont buy it for anything else as its just shite.

Poor quality build
Horid to put on your head for more than 10 minutes
Ok Mic
The "velvet" is utter tat

VoX
14th August 2008, 09:01 PM
Lol, thanks for the input, any recommendation for a decent headset then?

EDIT: Am now tempted by these (http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3469734/Maxell-MXL-5002-Skype-Stereo-Headset/Product.html).

EDIT2: Only just noticed I have the exact same velvet thingie on my current headphones and I find it pretty comfy, so again I'm tempted by the Fatal1ty ones. A re-buy of my current ones (http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3361142/Creative-HS-600-Gaming-Headset-Microphone/Product.html) would just be too expensive, even though they are completely awesome.

Paper Tiger
14th August 2008, 09:12 PM
If you could extend your budget a little, I'd recomment the sames ones I have...

I would HIGHLY recommend these (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-024-SN&groupid=702&catid=1058&subcat=&name=Sennheiser%20PC161%20Pro-Gaming%20Headset%20(500927))

Good points

Very comfortable - However, they do hurt a little with glasses, but what can you expect. You'll get that with damn near every headset
Very good sound quality - Great for music, games, TS. Can hear footsteps on CSS and locate due to the 360* sound
Mic quality is also very good

Bad points
Main one is just the glasses thing. Not had any others yet...

VoX
14th August 2008, 09:36 PM
Good thing I don't wear glasses then, I'm very tempted by these ones.

Paper Tiger
14th August 2008, 09:49 PM
I really would suggest them! Just don't get them from Play.com. WAY more expensive.

I'm having a look round some of the sites I've used (Sounds so bad in my mind) and trying to find the cheapest for you.

VoX
14th August 2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the thought :D.

(And yeah, it does sound slightly dirty.)

VoX
15th August 2008, 06:46 PM
Right, I've just ordered the Sennheiser PC161 Pro-Gaming Headset and it's due here on Tuesday, bugger paying an extra £18 for Saturday delivery on Overclockers.

Paper Tiger
15th August 2008, 10:42 PM
Nice one. Good choice. You will be happy :)

IMO, worth the extra pennys

VoX
16th August 2008, 11:57 AM
I honestly feel like crying, I just bought that one and my current one is working now :(.

Anyone want to buy a Creative HS-600 headset? lol.

Toxic
16th August 2008, 12:41 PM
It's always good to have a spare, or just one to change to if you want :D.

VoX
16th August 2008, 01:02 PM
Yeah, all the padding is wearing down on my current and one of the headphones is super-glued in place.