PDA

View Full Version : Car sub install

ez64
5th September 2008, 04:55 PM
Just wrote a nice big summary copy and pasted a image link then lost it all when I said "allow popups", any who.

I decided I needed some punchy bass from my car audio as the current wasn't too fun. As most of you know I'm not into d&b but It's still good to have decent sub's on any kind of music.

So I had a trip down to car audio security in Hayes's a proper audio place not the shite that you get from halfords and got 2 15" 1200 watt subs. Decided to install it all my self not really for the saving money but its actually fun to do. So I got on with it and it took pretty much 2 days skirting all the wire's and drilling a hole from my engine bay to my glove box then trying to blindly guide wires though and then try and get them to the back of the head unit for the RCA connections.

Got it all done then went down the route of wall mounting the amp and power capacitor to keep them out of the way. The end result is awesome and makes it hard to breathe at certain bass lines :D

I should have really taken pictures of the install but I was in the zone and powering through the install finding whatever shitty tools were lying around the house to complete it. Finally got round to taking some when its all done on the camera phone.

Main dual 15" 2400watt total subs in the same box
http://img37.picoodle.com/data/img37/3/9/5/f_1808081002m_bc7c605.jpg
Power capacitor for when the big bass lines hit for quite a bit and the battery cannot take it.
http://img37.picoodle.com/data/img37/3/9/5/f_1808081003m_b0676d7.jpghttp://img37.picoodle.com/data/img37/3/9/5/f_1808081004m_1ed2963.jpg
Main amp that lights up with blue neons when turned on, Will neaten up the wires at some point but need a rest now.

VoX
5th September 2008, 05:07 PM
CHAVVV!!!!

Lol, joking. Glad you did it properly and got a capacitor in there so you wouldn't have to deal with the headlights dimming when a bass note hits lol.

Is that a Vauxhall Astra?

ez64
5th September 2008, 05:20 PM
1.6 vectra although on my insurace under the reg plate im insured for a 2litre vectra :S

Ill probably go for a astra/320d old BMW or something similar for my second car later this month as I get my 1 year's no claims in a couple weeks :D *do not crash*

Calneon
5th September 2008, 05:54 PM
You just put that in and you're thinking of upgrading? Nice job on it anyway, bet your neighbors are most impressed.

ez64
5th September 2008, 06:16 PM
haha I never run it down our road only when im coming back is it on.

I can just transfer the parts and just get new cable's.

Chazlene
5th September 2008, 06:21 PM
Nice job, but Vox is right, a tad Chavvy. :p

And TBH, I'd rather have the space so I can put the shopping somewhere.

Calneon
5th September 2008, 08:14 PM
Nice job, but Vox is right, a tad Chavvy. :p

And TBH, I'd rather have the space so I can put the shopping somewhere.
That's what the back seats are for :D.

ez64
5th September 2008, 09:15 PM
Ya 3 back seats are more than enough, and they flap down if needed also theres still a hell of a lot of space in the boot enough for at least 4 bags.

Now I just need a nike cap ^&^

It was a really really fun project like a pc install but better and well worth the money.

Calneon
5th September 2008, 10:54 PM
:O how can you say better? xD.

Colonel Mitch
7th September 2008, 12:09 AM
how much'd all that cost you - and how much difference does a cap make? (i had a dual sub in my car till i blew em out xD and i neevr sued a cap n didnt notice a problem at full - thoguht i do ahve 2 car batteries)

ez64
7th September 2008, 01:08 AM
only £190 for the lot brand new with warranty but it was from a proper audio shop not overmarked halford's.

Since I havent got 2 battery's, I havent had the amp/speakers full yet to wear them in but the head lights have not dimmed yet with the car shaking like mad :D

Ive also heard the cap protect's the electrics the other side of the battery since your not ragging the battery every time a bass line hits.

VoX
7th September 2008, 12:23 PM
The cap is just there as a voltage smoother when a big bass line hits, just to stop it draining the battery.

ez64
7th September 2008, 12:26 PM
We all know ^&^, It will for a short time stop massive power drain's from the battery but im starting to think it's not worth it having it in there due to the insane amount of danger of having a large capacitor in your boot. even just having a service will be a nightmare as you will have to shout to the engineer not to dissconnect the battery then reconnect or BOOM Boot Shot :(

Thank you WikiVoX :p

VoX
7th September 2008, 12:34 PM
Lol, wasn't Wikipedia though, was just electronics work :p.