PDA

View Full Version : Using correct spelling and grammar on the Forums.

Chazlene
7th March 2007, 04:28 PM
Using correct spelling and grammar

As the community pulls in more and more 10 year-old Counter-Strike playing zombies and Scandinavians the spelling and grammar in each topic on the Forums is becoming extremely bad. This tutorial will show all you illiterates here how to make the ATK Community Forums look like a respectable place.

The first thing that I have to say here is all of you should download Mozilla Firefox. This is for two reasons, firstly Internet Explorer is rubbish and Firefox underlines in red anything you have spelt incorrectly, so now you have no excuse.

Do not use abbreviation's which are not in the English Language such as 'u' instead of 'you'. Doing this is only just acceptable with messengers such as MSN and Skype, since your messages are not permanent, but on a forum where whatever you post stays there, you should make the effort to use the full words.
Other examples of this includes 'pls', 'y' and 'sry'.
However, if you really must have to use them, acronyms are acceptable. This include well-known Internet Jargon such as 'BTW', 'FFS' and 'TBH'.

Capitals - Capital letters should always be used at the beginning of sentences, with a name of someone or something, or when you say words such as 'I' or 'I've'.

Full stops and commas - A full stop ends a sentence, and should be followed by a space then the start of a new sentence. Commas are necessary if you want people to understand what you are saying, since a continuous stream of words will get confusing. Use them to break up parts of a sentence.

Apostrophes - The apostrophe should always be used when quoting, unless you are using the Forum's quoting tags. This is so people will understand easily where the quote you are making begins and ends.
For example: You said 'you don't know how to spell' to me.
Not: You said you don't know how to spell to me.
Apostrophes are also used in the Genitive, meaning a possessive noun, i.e. 'Chazlene's Avatar' instead of 'Chazlenes Avatar', without an apostrophe.
However, if someone's name ends with an 's' then you only put an apostrophe, for example: 'Jesus' spliff', not 'Jesus's spliff'.
Using the apostrophe then 's' can also be used as an abbreviation for 'Chazlene is'.
The apostrophe can also be used to combine two words into an abbreviation, such as turning 'do not' into 'don't'.

Your - This is a big Grammar error lots of people make. 'Your' is followed by noun which belongs to you, for example, 'Your signature'.
many people use this when they actually mean 'You're', short for 'You are'.
So 'Your gay' does not make sense, instead it should be 'You're gay'.

Same word, different spelling - many words in the language are pronounced the same, but are spelt differently, for example, there is 'two' (the number), 'too' (as in TOO much) and 'to' (such as I went TO the brothel). So don't make the mistake of quickly typing 'to' when you mean 'two'.

Now go and post in the rest of the Forums and do not put the English Language to shame.

D@rw!n
7th March 2007, 06:17 PM
Really good Chazlene! I already know the most of it, but it will be useful for many users. Thank you for taking your (not you're ^^) time to do this. It will help.

Hutch
7th March 2007, 07:06 PM
Now we need Bad-Boy to read this and post something with no meaning at all.

BaD-BoY
7th March 2007, 07:16 PM
If you wanna know, I have done it!! Great work Chazlene and Hutch....

EDITED BY HUTCH TO IMPROVE GRAMMAR AND REMOVE GALLONS OF SMILIES AND EDITED BY CHAZLENE AS WELL TO CHANGE HIS NAME SO IT HAD A CAPITAL.

Chalex4
7th March 2007, 10:02 PM
Very good tutorial, let's hope this has an effect on the quality of peoples' posts.

VeNom
7th March 2007, 10:05 PM
Using correct spelling and grammar

As the community pulls in more and more 10 year-old Counter-Strike playing zombies and SCANDINAVIANS the spelling and grammar in each topic on the Forums is becoming extremely bad. This tutorial will show all you illiterates here how to make the C2G Community Forums look like a respectable place.

What do you mean with "scandinsvians" Not every scandinavians are bad in engish!! Peephole, Darwin and me are scandinavians:mad: and atleast peephole got good grades in it.. ^^

I'm With Stupid
7th March 2007, 10:25 PM
:( :D :mad: :) :rolleyes: :confused: ;) :( :mad: :mad: :p :p I have one Thing to say. :o :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :cool: RAINBOW!!!!!

VeNom
7th March 2007, 10:33 PM
...not funny...:rolleyes:

BaD-BoY
8th March 2007, 04:34 PM
...not funny...:rolleyes:

Dont spawn...and if am to BAD for u guys, so just say to me i must go from the community!!!! (But i will be here);)

Shadow
9th March 2007, 11:22 PM
Oh no! It's starting already!

spawnofebil
26th June 2007, 01:46 PM
omg i cant belief u r srs.

Chazlene
26th June 2007, 02:02 PM
Translation: Oh my God! I cannot believe you are serious!

spawnofebil
26th June 2007, 05:59 PM
t3h innernetz iz srs bsns

Midge
26th June 2007, 07:16 PM
What do you mean with "scandinsvians" Not every scandinavians are bad in engish!! Peephole, Darwin and me are scandinavians:mad: and atleast peephole got good grades in it.. ^^

Well, for a start, its scandanavians. Next, english and it should also be Peephole, Darwin and I..... contradict yourself in the post why don't you!

VoX
26th June 2007, 09:19 PM
But you have to understand Midge, VeNom is a nab thus he is banned, BaD-BoY will always do a post with no meaning whatsoever that is full of the :D smilie and if you would have seen that post before it was edited then you would agree.

Peephole on the other hand is good at English, and has anybody noticed that all the Scandinavians (thank you Firefox spell check, and Midge you forgot the capital S!) have gone inactive?

CILLIT BANG
4th July 2007, 08:49 PM
suk mi ft hairie balles mie spelin is pro!!!!!!!!!!!!

Qu1f
5th July 2007, 06:17 PM
suk mi ft hairie balles mie spelin is pro!!!!!!!!!!!!

FREEZE! Grammar Police!

spawnofebil
5th July 2007, 06:33 PM
Peephole on the other hand is good at English, and has anybody noticed that all the Scandinavians (thank you Firefox spell check, and Midge you forgot the capital S!) have gone inactive?

Bloody Vikings, always nicking our bloody spam and running off.