PDA

View Full Version : Insurgency

Vicious Horizon
8th October 2008, 09:01 PM
Anyone who has Half-Life 2 will have noticed that Steam has added official HL2 engine mods to the 'My Games' list, Insurgency is one of them, and it's awesome! It's like a Free CoD 4/Battlefield 2, but in an Afghanistan/Iraq setting, and based around the war that was around but the battles are still going on right now. Check it out, it's a short(ish) download of 1 GB, so gogogo!

(Btw, i'll update about gameplay etc in a bit)

Calneon
8th October 2008, 09:08 PM
Me and Trigger have been playing this loads, and it's definately one of the best mods i've ever played, very polished and great gameplay, different from everything else i've played. Zombie Panic Source is also a very good mod, though less polished, it seems to lag a bit and you get stuck when crawling through places. Me Trigger and Zealous were playing this earlier and we were the only 3 left with 20 zombies trying to eat us, great fun!

EDIT: Vicious, I dont have you added on steam, what's you nick?

Vicious Horizon
9th October 2008, 03:44 PM
vancepuppet is mah nick.
I cant get ZP: S as my mum's laptop has only 2GB left, which is a real shame :(

Calneon
9th October 2008, 05:37 PM
Get a PC of your own!

ez64
9th October 2008, 07:15 PM
Anyone who has Half-Life 2 will have noticed that Steam has added official HL2 engine mods to the 'My Games' list, Insurgency is one of them, and it's awesome! It's like a Free CoD 4/Battlefield 2, but in an Afghanistan/Iraq setting, and based around the war that was around but the battles are still going on right now. Check it out, it's a short(ish) download of 1 GB, so gogogo!

(Btw, i'll update about gameplay etc in a bit)

Bit of a scam really since you used to be able to create a steam account then install these free mods.

Now your forced to buy a source game and then play these games :(

fu steam.

Vicious Horizon
10th October 2008, 07:26 AM
Bit of a scam really since you used to be able to create a steam account then install these free mods.

Now your forced to buy a source game and then play these games :(

fu steam.

I thought you needed a source-based game to play it, like Gmod 9?

/

@ Phantom: I have my own computer, which is SUPPOSED to be better, it runs source engine games like a butcher in a farm it's that Choppy (This is minimum graphics too), my Mum's 3 year old mega-old ati card with the same drivers as it was bought with run it on max graphics sexily.. >.<

(Gonna try stealing the family's eMac, put something on it to play windows games ^^,

Calneon
10th October 2008, 09:54 AM
Erm, Ez64, the whole point of a mod is that it's a MODIFICATION of a game, based on the game engine. That engine is the source engine, and oviously Valve don't want their engine being given out for free. You could never play any source mods without a source game anyway...

ez64
10th October 2008, 11:01 AM
You can have the source SDK in the background and thats all you used to need, there engine is not being given out for free.

Its free for anyone to mod unless they have commercial interests which all these mods dont.

Calneon
10th October 2008, 02:30 PM
But you get Source SDK when you buy a source game...

ez64
10th October 2008, 03:06 PM
No you get source SDK free whatever.

Calneon
10th October 2008, 04:38 PM
Oh, well I only got steam after I got a source game :P.

VoX
10th October 2008, 04:47 PM
I played this when it first came out and back then I loved it, mainly because of what they have done with the Source engine, 3D sniper scopes is just insane and it wasn't full of "0mfgwtf" 10 year olds from CSS.

In my opinion, this is just Project Reality but for the source engine. The 2 mods balance each other out due to this having ALLOT less engine limitations, however PR is awesome because of the vast amount of vehicles that you can use, and also the large (and growing) amount of factions you can play as.

I'll give this a download when I have the time now my net doesn't time out every time my phone rings, would be fun to have a community match of this.