PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu (Linux) - The Hardy Heron

Colonel Mitch
14th October 2008, 11:14 PM
I've got my pc dual booting (well its actually like quintruple booting to 4 versions of winows as well) ubuntu 8.04 now and its mighty shiney.
We've also put it on 3 pcs at work for internet use.

The pcs at work have nvidia 6800 XT's and my pc has an ATI 4870 x2.

On all of them I have compiz fusion running for teh 3d cube-age and nice effects.

I also have wine which im pretty impressed with how well that works.

Unfortunatley I ahve to disable desktop effects because of the current ati drivers interaction with the kernel if i want to use any 3d app, whereas this needn't be done at work.

I was gunna ask if anyones ever used it before what cool stuff i should install, and if anbody knows how to get a 4870x2 to succesfully render games:P. (WOW comes up with everything being very shadowy as its obviously not rendered most of the stuff and cs:s runs smooth but has spikes and artifacts everywhere and all you can see is the gun....)

ez64
14th October 2008, 11:39 PM
Had a couple problems with a 4850 but sorted it via installing CCC and forcing the settings through there and not letting the APP handle it.

Colonel Mitch
15th October 2008, 12:23 AM
tried that didnt help :(

VoX
17th October 2008, 05:14 PM
For some reason this thread never showed up for me...

I run Ubuntu 7.1 in a virtual machine and it wasn't bad, but I had no option for the 3D effects as a VM simulates rubbish hardware (expect to see my current system appearing on there within the next year) however I love the way that 2 desktops are loaded on start-up, a very nice touch.