PDA

View Full Version : University plans (if you're in final year A2)

Calneon
18th October 2008, 05:07 PM
I just thought it would be interesting to know what and where other people are applying for, and maybe share thoughts about universities you've been to. I've been going to many open days over the last few months to study Computer Games Design (yeah cliche I know), and I've looked at Oxford Brookes, Coventry, Worcester, Royal Holloway, Portsmouth, and today I went to Brighton.

My favourite at the moment is definately Portsmouth as the area is great, the teachers are proper people who work in the industry and make games, and they have great facilities (like a whole room full of GTX280 PCs and a GTX280 SLI water cooled beast xD). Second is probably Brighton, they focus more on the very bare bones of computing, whereas Portsmouth teaches you to build games on engines such as Unreal and Quake, they actually go deeper and work with the GPU and CPU directly to build a system from scratch.

What about everyone else?

Trigger
18th October 2008, 05:58 PM
Well im going to be studieing "War studies" :D
Probably at either Birmingham and kent (Might be something to do with them being the only ones that do it :p)

Birminghams top really, good campus, course and all the other things that go into it and their professors routinely do history television programs, so i guess they know there stuff ;)

Chazlene
18th October 2008, 06:54 PM
Next year I'm going to go to either Oxford Brookes or Farnham for a year to study Foundation Art, then after that I'll go and do Graphic Design, probably at somewhere like Falmouth where in my free time I can doss about on the beach as a lifeguard.

Chalex4
18th October 2008, 07:03 PM
I am going to study Electronic Engineering at either Southampton, Warwick, Bath, Nottingham or Birmingham (snap Trigger!). The first two are my favourites, but all of those unis I really like. Last year around this time I was thinking of Computer Science, but decided against it because of the lack of variety and creativity. Games design sounds very interesting Phantom, do you have programming knowledge?

The grades are also pretty reasonable, ranging from AAB to BCC, and since there is a lack of electronic engineers, I might stand a chance :D.

Isphera
18th October 2008, 07:40 PM
As soon as I get my predicted grades finalized at AAB, I'll let you guys know.

Calneon
19th October 2008, 01:26 PM
I hardly have any programming knowledge xD. I'm also going to see Southampton next week at the open day (I think it's next week), it looks promising. My courses range from 240-300 UCAS points.

Isphera
19th October 2008, 01:41 PM
Don't go to Oxford Brooks by the way, it is a complete shithole.

I am going to study Electronic Engineering at either Southampton, Warwick, Bath, Nottingham or Birmingham

The first three are now struck from my list of 'to check out' :D.

Honestly though, I have decided on three out of the five so far. I will be studying Business Management (or whatever each university calls it), and the three I have so far are KCL, Cass Business School (part of City University) and Exeter. The ones I need to check out are Warwick, Bath, Southampton, Imperial, Lancaster, Reading and possibly Brunel (as a desperate final option, its BCC)

Trigger
19th October 2008, 02:52 PM
Any of you thinking about studieing abroad for a year or 2 whilst at uni?

Im thinking about going to Cananda/America for my second year.

ez64
19th October 2008, 09:20 PM
If your going for a top university though remember its all about the interview.

Should be moving to a top 5 on my Msc.

Calneon
19th October 2008, 10:18 PM
Any of you thinking about studieing abroad for a year or 2 whilst at uni?

Im thinking about going to Cananda/America for my second year.
I can see that would be great for something like War Studies, but I don't think it would help with Computer Science. Year in industry definately though.

ez64
19th October 2008, 11:18 PM
I'd definatly move abroad if I had the choice theres a lot more than studies.

Isphera
20th October 2008, 07:43 AM
I am thinking of doing a year in the states.

Zealous
20th October 2008, 11:36 AM
I am going to study History:D, Probably at Aberystwyth but i don't know. I have not visited Aberystwyth yet but have been told it's really good, should be going next week to see it. I might also go see Southampton to see what it's like.