PDA

View Full Version : Monitor for Xmas

Trigger
12th November 2008, 10:19 PM
Wondering if you guys will help me. Xmas is fast approaching and i want a new 24inch (ish) monitor but i have no idea where to start. :o

So if you could enlighten me on any good brands, prices and monitors it will be much appreciated :D

ez64
13th November 2008, 12:12 AM
tbh 22" is still where the money is at, I got my brother 2 weeks ago a 22" LG screen that is lush for £129.

If you really do want 24" with 1920*1200 which is also tasty go for a quality dell screen,

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-029-DE&groupid=703&catid=17&subcat=510&name=Dell%20S2409W%2024"%20Widescreen%20True%20HD%20LCD%20Monitor%20-%20Black

£200 odd for a very good quality monitor.

But remember the higher the resolution mainly at 1920*1200 it's an idea to have a 512mb graphics card or above.

Colonel Mitch
13th November 2008, 01:02 AM
This one isnt bad either: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(37741)LG-24-W2452T-monitor--Black-widescreen-5ms.aspx

Its about the same price as the dell one but its 16:10 like most computer displays. Its basically fullHD with a bit on top and bottom. The description is a tad inspecific and seems to suggest it doesnt have hdmi support, but for computer use only thats fine. Also its brighter than the dell and i believe LG are still the market leader in flat panel display technology. Also the dell does not state if it supports dynamic contrast ratio stuff. I know this technology has avry avried results ranging from the nothing to the noticable but if it doesnt then the 800:1 ratio on the LG boosted by that will come out (no where near the stated 10,000:1 mind you) at visibly greater than 1000:1 if we trust LG to give us decent displays, which i know i do.

Also I think the LGs more stylish :P

(and i hate dell, though there monitors are ok)

Colonel Mitch
13th November 2008, 01:04 AM
Also if your looking to save as much as possible as far as budget options go this one looks great.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(37564)Edge-10-24-W243H-monitor-Widescreen-8ms-Black.aspx

At only £199.74 its a steal - and it has the best brightness of the three and speakers built in. Still no HDMI but if you dont need it its not an issue :D

Calneon
13th November 2008, 01:06 PM
I really wouldn't go budget on something like a monitor, spend £300+ on something really good. Definately get 16:10 ratio, 16:9 just has too little verticle space. Also avoid anything with rediculous contrast ratios (5k+).

Colonel Mitch
13th November 2008, 01:36 PM
Id say the exact opposite really. Ive always gone for budget everything including monitor and ive never had a probelm and have had an extra wad of case after:P

sure they may lack features but if i just want a monitor i dont need HDMI support or ultra wide view angles.

Our old crt was 19" from aldi, still works perfectly now after 5 years and is damn good for a crt. My old 19" flat panel i got when tehy were hideously expensive about 4 years ago from aldi for £199 and i never looked back. DVI support, supplied with cable, nice and bright, no dead pixels and good contrast 2.

My samsung i have now was the cheapest 22" i could find at the time, from tesco, and ive never had a problem at all with that. also here at work we have digimate budget 20.1" screens and tbh there brilliant. they have glossy screens (which collect fingerprints like hell, but are easy to clean) and make images look stunning.

Oh and the stupid contrast rations are "dynamic" which pretty much means made up :P but so long as the true contrast ratios ok itll be fine.
To sum up if i was going to buy 1 id by the budget 1 and save the money on something else.

Colonel Mitch
13th November 2008, 01:45 PM
1 thing i should point out is aldi buy wholesale from big companies like LG and rebrand so if u buy a tevion, medion or gericom display your likley getting an LG. I know my plasma tv and my nans LCD's are all LG's really even though there branded Tevion. So you should expect something good from aldi on that front, not sure about other makes but we have severak different generic monitors here and there all fine.

Calneon
13th November 2008, 03:40 PM
I know about dynamic contrast ratios, theres a monitor on OCUK that boasts 50,000:1 contrast ratio, but they never show the 'true' contrast ratio in the specs. By all means go with a budget monitor, and you probably won't ever know the difference unless you put them side by side. But seeing as you aren't buying it Trigger, I'd stay away from 24" monitors that cost £150, unless it has good reviews.

Colonel Mitch
13th November 2008, 04:12 PM
If you use microdirect or scan they show the ture contrast ratio normally

Trigger
13th November 2008, 07:51 PM
Allright guys thanks for the help, ill take a look at some of the ones mentioned,
Even though i didnt understand half the points you were making :D
Ill have to see how much my parents want to spend xD