PDA

View Full Version : Should i buy an xbox 360?

Zealous
28th November 2008, 12:35 AM
The question is in the title :).

ez64
28th November 2008, 12:54 AM
Dont bother I've got 2 and I cba paying for the live subscription, get a PS3 with free online play and it wont be gathering dust after 6 months.

Saying that ive just got dreamspark enabling me as a XNA devloper from my uni so I get free xbox live subscriptions :D

Isphera
28th November 2008, 08:53 AM
get a PS3 with free online play and it wont be gathering dust after 6 months.

Exactly what I would say.

Chalex4
28th November 2008, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I always recommend the PS3, especially because it can playback Blu-ray movies!

Mr.Big
28th November 2008, 05:21 PM
for the sake of one of our community member we call it Bloo-Ray

VoX
28th November 2008, 06:07 PM
360 is great for the price, and the online community is massive, but that doesn't warrant the price. Also, the 360 isn't true HD, the disks are just standard definition.

PS3 is great, I've had mine a year and still use it, still play online and have a good laugh, plus you can get free demo's from the PS Store so you don't have to go and get them disks.

D_K_Head
28th November 2008, 06:17 PM
Despite that, PC still > than Console

Has to be said. Any console game can and will be emulated eventually

VoX
28th November 2008, 06:20 PM
I'd like to see an attempt to emulate Skate.'s Flickit controls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbu4wSnsW3I

Calneon
28th November 2008, 06:32 PM
DK is right, though I don't think it's because every console game will be emulated eventually. I think PCs are better than consoles because PC games are awesomesauce.

D_K_Head
28th November 2008, 06:33 PM
Simple, just use a controler with sticks. I'm fairly sure that somewhere, somehow, someone's coded it. PC modding is, after all, very popular

VoX
28th November 2008, 07:56 PM
You can use a 360 controller with a PC easily and you can download drivers for using PS3 controllers.

Chalex4
28th November 2008, 10:26 PM
I only recommended the PS3 because I assumed a PC was definitely out of the question.

A decent PC will give you much more pleasure than any console imo.

VoX
28th November 2008, 11:38 PM
But what about WiiFit or Rockband?

D_K_Head
29th November 2008, 01:30 AM
wiifit is a slightly different version of the wiimote... which works for PC. I'd assume some smartarse has managed to code that by now. Rockband probaly wouldn't be too hard either. But think of it this way.

If you were to get an Xbox, or PS3, and enter an FPS match... What would happen if you had a keyboard attached to the system? (providing you could get one to work)

The console controls just don't work. The stick method is way out of date, with most games, (cod4 and L4D being two examples) using auto aim features (aimbots, basically) to assist with the aim of gamers. Keyboard and mouse is still the best way to play, and chances are there won't be until someone comes up with a way to put our thoughts into games, (which could be fairly soon)

Target
29th November 2008, 04:14 AM
If u can get a pc then do it, u get so many more games and its so much easier to play on + u can play online for free and use other programs to chat, Xbox gets more games than ps3 and a bigger online community, but u have to pay for it and you will end up with a few little kids, but the money you save on the xbox is probably worth it. But at the end of the day the ps3 is a cheap blu ray player aswell. It really just comes down to wot u can afford... i just hope Santy Claus brings me an xbox or ps3 and a nice flat screen tv :D

Vicious Horizon
29th November 2008, 08:01 PM
I was considering a 360, but only because almost everyone I know in my humble little village and local town has a 360, but a PC is well worth the extra £300, so my answer is No.

Calneon
29th November 2008, 09:12 PM
Zealous, I think the consensus is to get a PC, or if you must have a console get a PS3, although I would rather have a 360.

Hope that clears things up.

Zealous
30th November 2008, 12:30 AM
Zealous, I think the consensus is to get a PC, or if you must have a console get a PS3, although I would rather have a 360.

Hope that clears things up.

I will get a Wii then, lol, joke :p. I don't realy want to get a computer, because i am a bit fed up of having to upgrade it all the time or buy a new one. Even thought most of you said to get a ps3, i still preffer the 360 because i like the games that are coming out on it, the community, and i don't mind paying for xbox live that much.

Target
30th November 2008, 12:32 AM
Yeh games for the 360 are generally better than the ps3 ones but its kinda like the Fifa vs Pro evo, its just your preference at the end of the day

D_K_Head
30th November 2008, 01:22 AM
The whole idea of PC shopping is to buy one that has

a) won't need upgrading for a good five, six years (slightly less than the lifespan of a console, i guess, but think of the variaty)

b) An upgradable comp, that would only need little bits every few years to keep up. High Detail isn't a requirement, after all. Since most console games seem to get themselves ported or cloned sooner or later, chances are you'll be fine. (halo 1+2 good example here... not that many PC gamers were impressed with them.)

Target
30th November 2008, 02:36 AM
Yeh but some games are mean't for consoles and others for pc's... like GTA is so much better on console it just doesn't feel rite on pc and RTS games are for pc they wuld be sooo much harder to play on a console

D_K_Head
30th November 2008, 02:41 AM
GTA feels FINE on PC, just requires a few camera adjustment to get rid of the clunky feel required to make a game console compatible. turning off mouse smoothing is always useful too, seems to be a pile of steaming whale for ports.

Calneon
30th November 2008, 02:39 PM
Spend £500-600 on a good PC now and you won't have to upgrade it for at least three years. Considering that we get a new generation of consoles every three years, and PCs are probably always a generation ahead of the latest consoles, PC is the way to go, plus you have no friends on 360 or PS3.

D_K_Head
30th November 2008, 03:49 PM
yeah, and good fucking luck using the hunting rifle on Xbox