PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Spec

Isphera
18th December 2008, 06:56 PM
OK, before I start, I AM NOT GETTING A NEW PC. I just wanted to make a spec and see if anyone thought it was good. Because I have nothing better to do :D

OK, this doesn't include a case, but everything else is accounted for. Please note there are supposed to be 2 HDD's and 2 CD Drives, forgot to do it on thing, and CBA to change it.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/9418/scanfg1.png
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5592/ebuyerap2.png

Calneon
18th December 2008, 07:20 PM
Looks nice, though the power supply is TOTAL overkill. I run a higher spec on a HW520 Corsair PSU. I also got my GTX280 for £210 but that was a while ago xD.

VoX
18th December 2008, 08:03 PM
You forgot the RAM....

Not to bad otherwise, but yeah, PSU is total overkill.

EDIT: My bad, didn't see the second image lol.

EDIT2: Why do I have a feeling we are all going to be "Surprised" when this arrives for you for Xmas? :p.

Target
18th December 2008, 08:10 PM
lol oric meant he had nothing better to post on the forum so he did this :P

Isphera
18th December 2008, 09:40 PM
You wont. £1.3k is a bit out of reach ATM. If my budget was £400, then maybe, but some of that is budgeted for Minneapolis trip.

lol oric meant he had nothing better to post on the forum so he did this :P

Kinda. Although it is partially for that, I wanted a basis to keep updating every two months or so, in order to have a template for when I do want a new one.

EDIT - 1.2 to 1.3 - I cant add.

VoX
18th December 2008, 09:49 PM
I'm just looking forward to mid Feb/early March when I will hopefully get my new comp :D.

Target
19th December 2008, 12:46 AM
Yeh i need a comp that i can have at uni, laptop is pretty useless tbh, i just wanna build a pc that will play all games with easy nothin too fancy, already got ma gfx card sorted it just findin a mobo and processor that i struggle

ez64
19th December 2008, 12:59 AM
Yeah that Could run on a 400w solid power supply easy, 1kw power supply's are more of a gimic in nearly all gaming PC's these days unless you have a silly amount of things plugged in and running PSU's at half there capacity gives a bad power conversion rate.

The Nvidia route is also at the moment the money wasters market at the high end ATI cards all the way.

Would have got a pc upgrade this month but the car has stolen all my moneyz :( £130 a tyre aint fun.

Colonel Mitch
19th December 2008, 01:04 AM
Yeah that Could run on a 400w solid power supply easy, 1kw power supply's are more of a gimic in nearly all gaming PC's these days

Dont forget i got a 650 W psu for my pc when i had my dual 2900xt (1gb s) in crossfire, and it literally exploded. big bang, sparks flying out the side, blew the 13 amp fuse in the plug :O

i found out that they use over 500 on their own without any other system components :P

gogo 1.1 KW psu that cost less than orics choice and is normal size so it will fit in cases unlike the enermax

Colonel Mitch
19th December 2008, 01:05 AM
Also WTF oric??? 1.3 grand pc and its on ddr2 ram and has 1 Grafics card :|

Colonel Mitch
19th December 2008, 01:05 AM
And your getting 4gb ram with a 32 bit os....... POINTLESS

EDIT: also WTF £65 for a normal laser etched keyboard with backlights????

EDIT2: and whats the 2TB storage about, i assume your gunna raid it but if u want it for speed get 1 1tb drive and 2 faster smaller ones

EDIT3: Just noticed... in your 1.3k gaming dream machine... you dont even have the top card nvidia produce! (and you shuda gone with ati)

Basically LOL

Calneon
19th December 2008, 01:08 AM
Yeah WTF ORIC?

Colonel Mitch
19th December 2008, 01:10 AM
OH - and also.... I assume your gunna run it on your bench... COZ U DONT HAVE A CASE

ez64
19th December 2008, 01:12 AM
Dont forget i got a 650 W psu for my pc when i had my dual 2900xt (1gb s) in crossfire, and it literally exploded. big bang, sparks flying out the side, blew the 13 amp fuse in the plug :O

i found out that they use over 500 on their own without any other system components :P

gogo 1.1 KW psu that cost less than orics choice and is normal size so it will fit in cases unlike the enermax

The ATI cards are always power hungry but that wouldnt happen in a normal system,

We run a 250w shuttle C2D 3.0ghz 1333fsb 4gb DDR2 ATI 4850 80gb sata2 hdd, CD/DVDRW sata2 drive, Fans perfectly,

People wayyy over estimate power supply needs due to the marketing these days.

In normal system's a under powered PSU will just cut out and restart under a stress test/OC something must have broken/stopped those saftey trips.

Target
19th December 2008, 01:15 AM
LOL ORIC EPIC FAIL, clearly put no thought and effort into this thread oric and it hurts, just tryin to make us all more active, at least put something pointful up, like this http://www.alienware.co.uk/product_detail_pages/ALX_x58/alx_overview.aspx?SysCode=PC-EU-ALX-X58&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT
clearly its worth the money, not a huge rip off at all :P

Marshy
19th December 2008, 01:22 AM
Yeh let's all shout at oric GTFO NUB

It's been a long time comming.

Isphera
19th December 2008, 01:25 AM
This is why I posted it up, what would you guys recommend I do. One thing before you say anything, I have a massive prejudice against ATI. I dont know why, but I'd prefer nVidia.

EDIT - Knowing how much of a collection whore I am, I probs would need 2TB eventually :S But your right, it is a bit excessive

EDIT2 -

OH - and also.... I assume your gunna run it on your bench... COZ U DONT HAVE A CASE

I said at the beginning I wouldn't include a case yet, my opinion is confused.

Calneon
Woah Seven ARGH Thirty-seven, that is SO worth everthing because it's so shiny!

Colonel Mitch
Try this on for size -
http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t333/piers1989/pwnage.jpg

So its barely more than orics and doesnt include an os... but lets be frank... were you really going to buy that?

Where do we start....
fastest consumer grafics card in teh word, comared to a 260gtx.... maybe 3rd or 4th fastest
6Gb ram compared to 4
High speed, low latency DDR3 tripple chanel comapred to DDR2 dual channel
Brand new intel i7 processor(which i believe hyperthreads to 8 logical cores) :O, compared to normal quad core
A good enough power supply thats normal size and half the price
A half decent case... compared to... err.. NO CASE
2 750Gb drives which you can still raid and wont cost you the extra for the extra 500Gb you wont use
BLU RAY DISK BURNER compared to 2 dvd-rw (when do you burn 2 disks at once?????)
and a reasonable set of keyboard and mouse that youll play jsut as well with, that also includes a webcam so you can look at yourself on your awsome pc, speakers (that'll b shit :P) and a headset - oh and there BLACK.

so, for about the same price as oric if u give his build a case.... i think the words ROFLPWNED come to mind ;)

EDIT: Also the moterboard is read for tripple crossfire with 2 16x pci-e slots and 1 8x pci-e slot
EDIT2: if you add the price for the second drives onto orics its actually more than this one :D

Isphera
19th December 2008, 01:30 AM
Ok, I see this is turning into the long desired 'bash oric while you can' thread. :D What would be an idea spec for a bugdet of £1k (assuming no case inc. and nVidia card)

Colonel Mitch
19th December 2008, 01:32 AM
What would be an idea spec for a bugdet of £1k (assuming no case inc. and nVidia card)

Let me, and the rest of the community make this simple...

DO NOT BUY AN NVIDEA HIGH PERFORMANCE CARD AT THIS TIME!
IT WILL BE EASILY OUTPERFORMED BY AN ATI 1 THAT COSTS LESS!

ez64
19th December 2008, 01:50 AM
Ok, I see this is turning into the long desired 'bash oric while you can' thread. :D What would be an idea spec for a bugdet of £1k (assuming no case inc. and nVidia card)

Do I get a wiffle bat :D

Marshy
19th December 2008, 11:36 AM

oh... My new computer has a gtx 260

Calneon
19th December 2008, 11:53 AM
GTX260 is good value, about the same as a 4870. Mitch, your spec also doesn't have a monitor which Oric did, and to make use of the 4870X2 you're gonna want a 24"+ which will cost £200-300.

Also, keyboard, mouse, speakers, headset, webcam, all for £24? Talk about cheap, seriously, everything will break two days after you get it. I also don't like the PSU, you need something hefty for the 4870 but also from a reliable brand which I don't think that one is. It looks cheap. The Blu-Ray drive is a waste unless you watch DVDs on your PC. And you don't have an OS, are you seriously suggesting he pirates an OS?

Isphera
19th December 2008, 12:42 PM
Can I just say, who's the noob now Piers :D

VoX
19th December 2008, 02:31 PM
Nice one Phantom lol.

ATI Card = Cannot play Mirrors Edge. It uses PhysX and the min requirements are an GeForce 6 series with 256MB of VRAM, no mention of ATI.

SOURCE (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169704).

Isphera
19th December 2008, 02:44 PM
Check most games, some do include an ATI requirement, but not all. Games which one of them back is likely not to have a requirement for the other, although it will work fine.

Chalex4
19th December 2008, 03:16 PM
Well, I was going to post a reply disagreeing with almost everything you put in your original spec., but that seems to have already been done!!

Colonel Mitch and Phantom seem to have said what I would have said (ish). You want an i7 processor, 280 or X2 GFX card, reliable power supply (personally I like corsair and antec), decent ram (> 4GB these days would be good - probably GSkill, corsair or OCZ), not a ripoff keyboard (I still love my G15), bluray drive (if I was building now, I would buy one (if I had spare cash)), and there aren't many i7 mobos anyway right now, so either an Asus or Gigabyte for now I think. For an OS, I would still go with something 64 bit, so probably Vista 64 since XP 64 sucks balls. The case is always subjective, but you want something with enough space, and perhaps a removable mobo tray.

Isphera
19th December 2008, 03:57 PM
Can you explain the diff between 32 and 64 bit?

VoX
19th December 2008, 03:59 PM
64-bit allows you to use all of your RAM, 32-bit limits you to just over 3GB. That is ofcouse if the application supports 64-bit, if not it is run in 32-bit and you simply only use 3GB of RAM on that App.

Check most games, some do include an ATI requirement, but not all. Games which one of them back is likely not to have a requirement for the other, although it will work fine.

PhysX is only nVidia.

Isphera
19th December 2008, 04:22 PM
Ok, here is the updated one. Just saying again, I am not getting a PC, I just wanted to form a basis to begin to start about thinking. I am at least a year or two out. I have stuck with nVidia, I havent included a monitor - unsure which one, and I might change the case.

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/9195/scannh0.png
And headset is; http://www.ebuyer.com/product/111651

EDIT: Case change - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Thermaltake-Armor-Jr-VC3000BWS-Black-Window

Target
20th December 2008, 01:21 AM
some one put a decent pc spec on here for bout £300 quid, i already have gfx card

Chalex4
20th December 2008, 01:22 AM
some one put a decent pc spec on here for bout £300 quid, i already have gfx card

Create a new thread Target, then I am sure you will get loads of suggestions.

Target
20th December 2008, 01:35 AM
Fine and since when were u at the computer this late :O