PDA

View Full Version : Rome: Total War - FOR FREE!!!!

Chalex4
20th December 2008, 12:45 AM
arcticstoat writes to tell us that despite the many game download sites already available, another one has decided to give it a go; only this time, with a twist. UK-based Game Domain International is launching their AWOMO service that will allow you to play the game before it's done downloading (http://www3.custompc.co.uk/news/605356/download-aaa-games-in-a-few-minutes-with-awomo.html). As an added incentive to get people to sign up, you can try out the beta now and get Rome: Total War for free (http://www.awomo.com/?q=node/19).

"The trick, according to GDI, is its 'unique technology' that 'lets you start playing before the game has finished downloading, meaning you can be up and running, jumping and fragging in minutes rather than hours.' Although some other download services allow you to start playing a game before it's fully downloaded, you usually still have to download a big chunk of data before you can start, and GDI reckons that it's cracked this problem. According to GDI, AWOMO takes a look at your PC's spec and connection speed, and then hooks you up with a sufficient buffer to stop your game stalling during gameplay. The company is confident that 'the delivery system accurately predicts the data you require next and ensures it's already there waiting before you need it.'"

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08%2F12%2F19%2F1835247&from=rss

You need to install the program and create an account then you can download the game :).

I am installing now. Also, it is a limited beta trial so get downloading now!!

Calneon
20th December 2008, 01:14 AM
I don't see how you can install only a fraction of the game and still play on it. I sort of understand with singleplayer games like HL2 where there are only a few models and textures and maps at the start, and download as you go. However, say you were downloading TF2, surely you'd need all the data if you wanted to play online at all.

But yeah, nice deal with the free Rome: Total war, though I don't really want it.

Target
20th December 2008, 01:33 AM
already got like 3 copies of this game....somwhere :P

Chalex4
20th December 2008, 01:46 AM
Wow, this thing is totally crazy. I had downloaded only about 10% of the full game and I played a custom battle and everything. There were very few pauses where it had to download some extra content.

Vicious Horizon
20th December 2008, 11:46 AM
Awesome o.o

Pretty awesome tech :)

Calneon
20th December 2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah, it does sound very clever. Shame I don't mind waiting the extra few hours for it to download, or it might be of more use to me.

VoX
20th December 2008, 02:36 PM
Me and ez have 1337 connections, we don't need this :p.

I would give this a go but the Total War games never really appealed to me.

Chazlene
20th December 2008, 03:10 PM
Lohl, Valve must be annoyed now since they're giving R:TW away for free if you preorder Empire: Total War, which is a bit pointless now then.

Everyone should DL this, having massive online battles with like six of us would be awesome. Although going onto R:TW will be a bit of a step back for me, after abusing M2:TW ever since I got it. :p

D_K_Head
20th December 2008, 05:00 PM
heh, didn't someone make a short in one of the TW games, scare tactics?

Bloo
20th December 2008, 05:55 PM
Everyone should DL this, having massive online battles with like six of us would be awesome. Although going onto R:TW will be a bit of a step back for me, after abusing M2:TW ever since I got it. :p

From my perspective, M:TW 2 was a bit of step backwards from R:TW. :P

Trigger
20th December 2008, 06:16 PM
I got the Barbarien Invasion expansion lol, waiting for Empire now though :D