PDA

View Full Version : The NAVIsis EZ-Canvas.

Chazlene
23rd December 2008, 04:39 PM
Just saw this on the Gadget Show on TV, a device that turns any monitor into a touch screen by attaching a perspex sheet over the top of your screen, designed to be useful for drawing in programs such as Adobe Illustrator, but just imagine using it in an FPS. ;)
http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/excanvas.jpg

EZ-Canvas, developed by Korean-based company, allows you to turn your LCD monitor to function like a touch-screen tablet.

Simply attach the EZ-Canvas sensors to the upper corners of your display then you can write, edit and even draw directly onto your display. NAVIsis handwriting recognition technology is also featured in EZ-Canvas so you're free to scribble your notes onto the screen and they will be automatically translated to legible text.

http://uk.gizmodo.com/Navisis.jpg

I think it costs around £80, I may eventually get one when the price has gone done since of course I do a lot of art-farty stuff will Photoshop and shit. For me I think I'll prefer it to a standard graphics tablet, since they can still be confusing with running out of room on the tablet, lining up the pen correctly, etc...

Calneon
23rd December 2008, 05:01 PM
Nifty, although I can't write on vertical surfaces for shit.

Vicious Horizon
23rd December 2008, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't think touch-screens would be good for FPS imo.. I tried it with my graphics pad once... Wasn't a good ending.

VoX
23rd December 2008, 06:59 PM
Same here Phantom.

What sizes do these things come in, I'm tempted for Photoshop :p.

Chazlene
23rd December 2008, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't think touch-screens would be good for FPS imo.. I tried it with my graphics pad once... Wasn't a good ending.

Yeah I know a graphics tablet would be rubbish, I tried it once and it was EXTREMELY sensitive. My point was that with a touch screen you could basically just poke people on the screen and not have to worry about aiming.

Vicious Horizon
23rd December 2008, 07:27 PM
:o good point! I never thought of that. You'd get done for hacking though, wouldn't you?

Target
23rd December 2008, 07:41 PM
poking the screen wuld work at a longer range or when u had time but when summet jumps out in front of you and u stab the screen an put a hole in it..not so good.

Calneon
23rd December 2008, 08:37 PM
Imagine if you were spectating somebody using a touch screen, it would SO look like they were using an aimbot. Also, wouldn't you fire a few shots whenever you wanted to turn around?

Vicious Horizon
23rd December 2008, 08:42 PM
I was thinking about the first problem, and I agree tbh, but I'm sure you could explain ;D

Second one is a good point, but you still have a mouse, don't you?

VoX
23rd December 2008, 08:56 PM
Touch screens work much like Smart Boards used in schools AFAIK, so u touch to click and hover over to move the mouse.

Vicious Horizon
23rd December 2008, 09:10 PM
Much like a graphics pad. But Would the screen thing work at a short range?

Colonel Mitch
23rd December 2008, 10:07 PM
Ive used 1 before, they do work the same as smartboards, but cant detect hover. For an fps they can be very good for sniping, coz u just tap the enemy and they die, but ptherwise you have to hold your finer down near the centre and adjest it slightly to turn, but while your doing this you wont stop shooting. there ALOT better for RTS games where you click and drag alot. had hours of C&C Generals and UT GOTY at my old college on the smartboards running off my laptop.

ez64
25th December 2008, 04:35 PM
To be fair these kits have been around for donkeys years but they always have been around £300 for 17", looks very good if thats the retail price and building a screen into the desk would be good.

Calneon
25th December 2008, 08:18 PM
I want one of those touch screen monitor desk things they had on that TV program where they had a team trying to win a virtual historic battle. Trigger will know what I mean.

On second thoughts, I don't really want one, I just want that program to come back :D.

Vicious Horizon
26th December 2008, 11:57 AM
I know that program! Where they were playing ROME: TOTAL WAR? That was some good shit.

VoX
26th December 2008, 01:59 PM
I know what you're on about Phantom, looked pretty fun :p.

Chazlene
27th December 2008, 11:47 AM
Ah yes, Time Commanders... did any of the players actually ever win a battle on it?

ez64
27th December 2008, 11:56 AM
I dont think they used touch screens, I think it was just a projector setup and added cgi later.

Vicious Horizon
27th December 2008, 12:00 PM
If I get one of these things, (getting back on topic ;D) I'll use it on ATK all the time :P So don't bother kicking me XD

Wont it also look like a no-recoil hack?

VoX
27th December 2008, 02:10 PM
One thing you guys have seriously forgotten about using this in an FPS situation, is that when you click to fire, you guy will turn and hit them, but will then CARRY ON turning the whole time that you have the pen anywhere near it.