PDA

View Full Version : Forums Back Online

Chalex4
10th January 2009, 05:42 PM
http://www.atkcommunity.com/banners/news/general.png

Without me even touching the database this time, we had a catastrophic database failure. Because of the severity of the data loss, and the database being somehow overwritten or corrupted, we had to revert to the 8th January because all of our backups from after then were also corrupted.

There are many possible reasons for the failure, but I feel the best way to reduce the risk of future problems is to update vBulletin and all the modifications I can. I will probably be doing this next weekend, so hopefully we won't experience more problems before then.

Also, those problems you mentioned Mitch were probably related to the database errors. Is everything OK now?

Finally, if you had an account that you signed up for on the 9th you will need to re-register. Sorry for the inconvenience everyone, but UKWSD did the best they could to find a more recent backup!

EDIT: looking around the forums I am still finding things that don't quite work, like quick edit. I may take the forum down soon to take another look.

EDIT #2: clearing my cookies/cache fixed the problems. I recommend trying that if some parts of the website look strange!

Let me know in this thread if anything starts going wrong, and I will try my best to sort it before we have to restore!

Isphera
10th January 2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks for getting it up as quick as possible.

Calneon
10th January 2009, 11:48 PM
Good job, hope it doesn't happen again.

Chalex4
10th January 2009, 11:51 PM
No worries. I am experimenting with making full database backups twice daily (3PM and 4AM), so that should reduce the amount of forum activity lost if it ever happens again.

Calneon
10th January 2009, 11:56 PM
Nice.

ez64
11th January 2009, 12:33 AM
Good to hear everything is back, Just wondering though why the site has very recently (in the last day) taking a lot of resources and mainly when scrolling the page its like when people dont have graphics drivers installed everything is 1fps. (This has been on 6 systems Ive seen so far)

Calneon
11th January 2009, 01:24 AM
Hmm ez64, I haven't encountered that before. It's fine for me.

ez64
11th January 2009, 01:37 AM
Saying that it now seems perfectly fine under IE7 and FF.

Target
11th January 2009, 04:33 AM
lol the forum was well screwed up :O, almost back but some posts are in strange areas or were from weeks ago but im sure we'll cope

Chalex4
11th January 2009, 10:56 PM
Just wondering though why the site has very recently (in the last day) taking a lot of resources and mainly when scrolling the page its like when people dont have graphics drivers installed everything is 1fps. (This has been on 6 systems Ive seen so far)

I use Firefox, but have always had this issue when using the site on IE. Since noone else mentioned it, I assumed it was my IE being broken.

Just a few minutes ago I remembered that our background image for the site was rather large, since it was only repeated in the horizontal direction and just very tall. I replaced it with a solid colour and now my IE is working perfectly again with swift scrolling like Firefox.

If Chazlene can make the old background repeatable vertically by just making one section of the changing gradient, I will try it again. Let me know if the fixed has worked for those of you with the problem.

ez64
12th January 2009, 01:46 AM
Yup that has done it, it's now 100% perfect with the solid colour.

Damn those CSS repeating image arrays :D

Vicious Horizon
12th January 2009, 05:01 PM
Fixed my IE too =)

Target
13th January 2009, 04:41 AM
omg chalex actually solved a problem???