PDA

View Full Version : Advertising on ATK

Chalex4
21st April 2009, 06:49 PM
http://www.atkcommunity.com/banners/news/general.png

I have seen a little confusion about adverts over the last few days, so I thought I'd create this thread to tell you what's happening!

Since no-one has subscribed or donated in a very long time now, I am trying my best to sustain the community through just its adverts. However, since it is just too much work trying to find individual companies and websites to advertise in certain areas, I have added ourselves to Project Wonderful (http://www.projectwonderful.com/). Using that website, ads are sold through an Infinite Auction system. This is where you bid on an advertising slot, and for as long as you are the high bidder, your ad is displayed.

You bid for the daily price of putting your advert on ATK, and some of these prices are displayed below the banners here on ATK. Just in case some of you can't find all the adverts, I will point them out for you: the navbar (half banner size), above the footer (leaderboard size), to the right of the forum (skyscraper size), and below every first post (leaderboard size).

I have the minimum price of $0.1 a day on 3 of the adverts, and $0.05 on the one to the right of the forum. If these are met throughout a month, we will have enough money to pay for our current Teamspeak server and part of our hosting costs, not bad I say!! Of course, we could well receive more money a month, and so then we can start up the prize draws again and more!

Anyway, I hope this has informed you of our new money-making schemes, and if you have any suggestions let me know!

D_K_Head
21st April 2009, 07:31 PM
Slavery. Sponsered Slavery.

If it worked for britain all those years ago, it'll still work I say.

Trigger
21st April 2009, 07:38 PM
Adverts in middle of threads = Baaad

Chalex4
21st April 2009, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I have decided to make the in-thread adverts ONLY appear to guests and banned users now :). They are now a great perk to registering!

Thanks DK, I think I'll also have to consider slavery too!

Trigger
21st April 2009, 07:42 PM
Ah nice work!

Jeez 100% activity im doing a Phantom and spamming these threads too much :D

Vicious Horizon
21st April 2009, 07:46 PM
Hm, cool. Good you got rid of the annoying in-thread ones, they annoy me dreadfully.

Calneon
21st April 2009, 09:21 PM
Tee hee hee I don't see any ads at all, anywhere.

Trigger
21st April 2009, 09:28 PM
Tee hee hee, *winks knowingly at Phantom*

Darkeagle
21st April 2009, 09:41 PM
lol, dont get it

Chalex4
21st April 2009, 09:47 PM
You can do what Phantom is doing if you really want to (if you can figure it out!), but they really aren't that intrusive now.

Calneon
21st April 2009, 11:13 PM
It's really obvious lol, and it works for every site. No more ads ever :D.

Darkeagle
22nd April 2009, 06:47 AM
TBH i dont really care lol. I quite like them

Vicious Horizon
22nd April 2009, 07:13 AM
I just generally can't see the ads :o

Isphera
22nd April 2009, 05:32 PM
Everyone can stop bitching about it now, because I think they are all fine. So shut up and get back to killing people in game.

Deri
22nd April 2009, 05:59 PM
Tee hee hee I don't see any ads at all, anywhere.

Feels good bro!

Chalex4
22nd April 2009, 06:45 PM
I decided in the end to remove the in-thread ad altogether, since it probably would have made people less likely to be a guest on ATK.

Instead, I have just upped the cost of advertising above the footer :).

Target
23rd April 2009, 01:17 AM
add more ad space then get more money, theres plenty of little gaps you can get adds :P

Calneon
23rd April 2009, 01:10 PM
Indeed, add loads of ads and get everyone to use adblock.

Chalex4
24th April 2009, 07:11 PM
True, but I don't want to put off the guests who visit the site. However, if we get a new site design one day there will be loads of locations for ads that don't get in the way but have the potential to get lots of cash :D.

D_K_Head
24th April 2009, 09:18 PM
who does web design again?

Colonel Mitch
24th April 2009, 09:34 PM
who does web design again?

Vbulliten xD

its a standard forum frames page layout.

D_K_Head
24th April 2009, 09:40 PM
Vbulliten xD

well tell him to pull his finger out and redo the site then!

/Sarcasm

Chalex4
24th April 2009, 10:36 PM
You two are mixing yourselves up lol. The site runs on forum software called vBulletin, which has been modded by me a huge amount over the years.

However, assuming we kept our current setup on our new site, we would simply need a new vBulletin style that I would get a professional coder and graphic designer to do for a few hundred quid. Of course, should that time ever arrive, there will be many discussions on ATK about what features we need etc.