PDA

View Full Version : How big will we be?

Vicious Horizon
10th May 2009, 02:33 PM
How big do you guys think ATK will ever get? Will we, in the end, have 1000s of active members who are active almost 24/7, with Chalex "borrowing" some money from donations for his new computer, or will we always stay a relatively smaller community with 20 or so active members? Just thought it would be an interesting idea.

I personally think that ATK will one day be quite big, maybe 100-250 active members, but in the future, maybe a couple of years on or so.. Thoughts?

ez64
10th May 2009, 02:43 PM
How big do you guys think ATK will ever get? Will we, in the end, have 1000s of active members who are active almost 24/7, with Chalex "borrowing" some money from donations for his new computer, or will we always stay a relatively smaller community with 20 or so active members? Just thought it would be an interesting idea.

I personally think that ATK will one day be quite big, maybe 100-250 active members, but in the future, maybe a couple of years on or so.. Thoughts?

Chalex is already borrowing money for his low rider and PC so were a bit of both :p

For ATK to get really big though theres no other way but to be selling a product whether it be game hosting/Lan partys/Gaming editorials/comedy videos etc but thats a long old way down the line if it ever did happen.

Trigger
10th May 2009, 02:53 PM
Honestly i dont ever see ATK getting much bigger, maybe more members may join but nothing major.

If im going to be painfully honest after 2 or 3 years i dont see this community being active at all :(

I think to ever reach more members we would have to focus on some specific aspect of gaming, albeit a certain game or what EZ said

Chazlene
10th May 2009, 03:20 PM
For ATK to get really big though theres no other way but to be selling a product whether it be game hosting/Lan partys/Gaming editorials/comedy videos etc

That's exactly what I've always said, ATK really needs some form of product. I guess I've tried with the few comics I've made, but I can't really dedicate myself to that. Unless we produce something regular then I can't really see ATK getting much bigger at all. Chalex keeps going on about how many more hits we're getting every month and how many people visit the site, but the problem is none of them are staying. I'll suggest to him to advertise our reviews on the homepage or something, or perhaps get them recognised on other sites.

ez64
10th May 2009, 03:22 PM
Sounds like the way forward :)

Calneon
10th May 2009, 03:27 PM
I'd just like to point out being the tard that I am, that all your poll options are incorrect (except the first one).

10 is not greater than 50
50 is not greater than 100
101 is not greater than 250

xD

Apart from that, i'd like to think in the 100s.

D_K_Head
10th May 2009, 03:28 PM
Machinima, Chaz?

Target
10th May 2009, 07:40 PM
The community won't expand unless we start playin games competitively so we can recruting members to other teams and then they will play others games and become part of the community, thats the easiest way forward. The other is as EZ a product, but at the current rate i think the community might be dead in a few years, maybe less :O

Vicious Horizon
10th May 2009, 08:30 PM
I'd just like to point out being the tard that I am, that all your poll options are incorrect (except the first one).

xD

Shush you :P

You get the point, and it looks roughly right, they should just be the other way around xD

I'm thinking that the Comic and Review is the best way to go, the Machinima needs to be outstanding to even shine in the darkness....

And yeah, we get tonnes of hits, but who stays? Our latest "new" and active member is DK? Maybe Zealous? Something needs to draw people in really =/

Bloo
10th May 2009, 08:47 PM
Perhaps we should re brand ATK as a small revolutionary militia intent on taking over an African country? I know a guy who can get us railguns!

Or err, a serious suggestion, but I can't think of one of those, so I'll ramble a bit to pad out this post and then end much later than I should, infact I'll end it now. Right done.

EDIT: Also, why isn't their an option for 10 or less? :p Just saying, ATK could shrink as well.

D_K_Head
10th May 2009, 09:13 PM
oh, and in before Mitch's "as big as your mother" comment.

VoX
10th May 2009, 09:17 PM

xD

Fixed :p.

I reckon 10<50, unless we really try hard.

Calneon
10th May 2009, 09:45 PM
Fixed :p.

I reckon 10<50, unless we really try hard.
It didn't need fixing, i was making a joke about it. He should have used a hyphen if you're being pedantic because the answers have nothing to do with whether one number is bigger than another, it's simply stating a range of numbers.

Target
10th May 2009, 10:39 PM
i think this thread should just be deleted we all clearly know that its not going to expand much, prob just stay around the same with a few new members joining and older members leaving

Chalex4
10th May 2009, 11:13 PM
It's actually quite an interesting thread. You're all right about the fact that, although we are receiving thousands of extra individuals visiting ATK every month, we aren't capturing all those that we could.

Showing off our reviews isn't a bad idea, and if we go down that route, we'd definitely need to purchase a better system to do it with. Comics and machinima could also be key to getting more registrations. It's always difficult to decide what to invest our money in, and when I can I will probably post up a poll with some different options. For example, we could either buy a review system, or an SEO system (search engine optimisation) which would bring a huge amount more people here. However, what's the use of that if we can't capture the audience?!

In terms of ATK vanishing in the next few years, that will ONLY ever happen if it isn't financially viable any more or if I'm the only one here :p.

Colonel Mitch
11th May 2009, 01:34 AM
For ATK to get really big though theres no other way but to be selling a product whether it be game hosting/Lan partys/Gaming editorials/comedy videos etc but thats a long old way down the line if it ever did happen.

If by gaming editorials you mean like an online gaming magazine thats something we could really look into doing, though once again I cant see it making a large impact on active members (maybe on forums but not on many games).

LAN Parties is an interesting one. Ive hosted small ones at my houe / nans hours with up to 14 people before very succesfully. If we could find a venue realistically there isnt anything stopping us from hosting our own so long as we know an exact cost to know a minimum required attendance. This really would be a good way to build members.

If this is something people would aggree to id be more than happy to lead a lanparty, wherever in the UK it is.

Vicious Horizon
11th May 2009, 07:20 AM
@ Phant: Actually, In Maths nowadays you're taught to put the values "10<50" like that on a survey/poll, which is what I've got drilled in my head atm :p

I think an online Gaming magazine is an awesome idea, seeing as I'm thinking about going into an editorial job, that would look pretty awesome on a CV, no? xD
I think that alot of the ideas are viable, and we could at least try some of them out and see the results, couldn't we?

D_K_Head
12th May 2009, 01:52 AM
I think you're surposed to use the little < with the line on the lower section...

Vicious Horizon
12th May 2009, 07:38 AM
Pah, you can see what I mean, I didn't fuck up that badly xP

Calneon
12th May 2009, 01:21 PM
I think you're surposed to use the little < with the line on the lower section...
That just means less than or equal to. You'd use it on one side of the statement. VC, if you wanted to use > and < in a poll, you'd put:

10 =< x < 50
50 =< x < 100
100 =< x < 250

etc.

PS. sorry for the thread hijack xD.

Vicious Horizon
12th May 2009, 03:36 PM
That's the one, and np, people like Target didn't seem all that interested anyway..

Though I think it's interesting the fact that less people voted 50-150 than 151-250, seems we're either optimistic or dont think it's going to change =)