PDA

View Full Version : The ATK News Bot

Chalex4
13th May 2009, 08:24 PM
http://www.atkcommunity.com/banners/news/general.png

After the success of the RSS ticker, I thought we should continue further along that track. The idea is to have a forum bot which creates threads relating to updates from our favourite news sources (using RSS).

I was thinking that we should have two or three separate forums for this, like:

Technology News
Gaming News
New Game Releases

I would of course make sure that the amount of posts the bot could make per day were limited - this would prevent spammage!

So, I would really appreciate it if you could post below links for your favourite RSS feeds (for the topics above), or any other suggestions that you have!!

Colonel Mitch
13th May 2009, 08:54 PM
In principle, its a good idea.

However for people (like me and chris) that browse the forums simply by the 10 most recent threads on the homepage, it could push things that are still "active" off the list.

If you would give it a different location, perhaps beneath the existing ten most recent threads entity, then I can see this being really useful :)

Chalex4
13th May 2009, 09:01 PM
That's a good point, and if I could, I would certainly try and split the homepage's recent threads into sections like that :).

D_K_Head
13th May 2009, 09:18 PM
it'd give me somthing to read at school at least...

Calneon
13th May 2009, 10:44 PM
Meh, I don't like it. If I see something good i'll post it, I don't want a bot doing it for me. The bot also wouldn't be able to start a conversation in the way a human could. Usually i'll state my opinion when I make a thread which people can comment on, a bot wouldn't do that.

Chalex4
13th May 2009, 11:25 PM
The problem is that although you may do that, many other forum members (right now anyway) probably can't be bothered. It's likely that you'll still have plenty of stuff you can create threads on too, since it will only post in generous time intervals.

Remember as well that the bot may well find stuff that others may not have heard about (which you may have thought everyone knew). This would definitely help with the activity on the forums.