PDA

View Full Version : A New TF2 Public Server: Darkeagle's Rise

Chalex4
20th May 2009, 09:56 PM
http://www.atkcommunity.com/banners/news/servers.png

As you all know, the state of our public servers right now is rather dire, and it has been for quite a while.

Thankfully, someone has taken the initiative to set up a new public server - Darkeagle. He has bought a 24 slot public TF2 server with Darkpidgeon and Vox, and it will become part of ATK's lineup shortly.

Phantom and I have tried and tried to make our other servers popular, but as we all know, it never really worked out. The problem always was that I always vanish and don't have time, and Phantom had too many servers to deal with. We had many great suggestions from others, but no-one was FOCUSED on making TF2 popular again in ATK.

This is why I am so pleased Darkeagle has sorted out a new public server, because he has taken the responsibility upon his shoulders and really wants to make it work. It also helps that he can now sort everything out himself, because the server software isn't complicated at all and I'm not blocking him ;).

So, with the waffling aside, I would like to award DARKEAGLE with a new responsibly: TF2 Manager. This position allows him moderator access to all TF2 related forums, as well as the deciding vote over (with me - but I'll agree most of the time :)) all TF2 decisions, whether they are to do with new features on the site, or the servers.

I hope I've explained everything clearly enough, and I'm sure this has been long-awaited news by many. Here's to ATK's servers being popular once again!

Colonel Mitch
20th May 2009, 09:59 PM
Chalex didn't sound so happy about DE's initiative eariler :P

Darkeagle
20th May 2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks, I hope i can really Kick the TF2 Side of the community back into shape. I am hoping to get enough funding to buy a Match server Soon, and then in the near future maybe even a arena Server.

If you CAN donate, then please do, Talk to me or Chalex, the good thing about donating now is, you can ACTUALLY see what the money will be spent on, aka, match servers, new TF2 public servers etc.

Anyway, I hope I dont screw up Too badly. When you have a hour or two, just go on the new public server and play for a bit.

Regarding admin on the server, we may be able to give admin to active members, but It would really help, just to give a couple of pounds a month.

Thanks

Darkeagle

Chalex4
20th May 2009, 10:20 PM
Just as Darkeagle said, the payment side is also really important.

What I expect will happen now is that Darkeagle will sort out a match server, then we will hopefully start to see more people joining ATK from the public server. More TF2 players would then be able to help out with the TF2 server costs, and I would (possibly) take over in terms of payment since everyone would just be on some type of TF2 subscription.

One type of TF2 subscription could be paying for admin on the server. Darkeagle and I have both seen that many other servers pay for whole dedicated machines using this method, and I can easily see that working well to get the TF2 area even better.

If we get to this stage without a hitch, it's likely that we'd sort out a sponsorship deal with INX (who I was talking about before in the other thread) so that we could get our other servers up to speed as well. That's the plan at least!

Calneon
20th May 2009, 11:21 PM
This should work great, hopefully we can populate it every evening like today, and get it popular.

Zealous
21st May 2009, 01:07 AM
Just had a great game with 6 people on it :D. I got them all to add it to their favourites, but I didn’t know whether or not to say anything about ATK so I didn’t. The server has had like 20-24 people on it all the time since it went up!

Vicious Horizon
21st May 2009, 10:39 AM
If we get to this stage without a hitch, it's likely that we'd sort out a sponsorship deal with INX (who I was talking about before in the other thread) so that we could get our other servers up to speed as well. That's the plan at least!

INX are a very good company, but from experience, we need to get on the server ourselves when it's empty and try to create activity, rather than waiting for randomers.

Calneon
21st May 2009, 01:02 PM
The server should have ATKCommunity in the title somewhere otherwise we won't be attracting anybody to the website. Call it something like "ATKCommunity Gentleman's Club - INX-Gaming.com" or whatever.

Chalex4
21st May 2009, 03:33 PM
The server should have ATKCommunity in the title somewhere otherwise we won't be attracting anybody to the website. Call it something like "ATKCommunity Gentleman's Club - INX-Gaming.com" or whatever.

Yeah, it's not quite as elegant as "ATK's Gentleman's Pub" but definitely gets the message across better. What does DE think?

I think we've got adverts as well on the server, so that people know the full URL.

VoX
21st May 2009, 04:34 PM
Adverts and stuff will be sorted by DE today.

The server IP and details can be found in mine, DE's and DP's sigs.

Darkeagle
21st May 2009, 04:37 PM
I Personally think that the name was getting people on, i would like to keep it at ATK's Gentleman's pub, I think people wouldnt ever go on the website without going on the server, and adverts in the server will be saying the full URL

VoX
21st May 2009, 05:00 PM
I Personally think that the name was getting people on, i would like to keep it at ATK's Gentleman's pub, I think people wouldnt ever go on the website without going on the server, and adverts in the server will be saying the full URL

QFT .

Target
22nd May 2009, 12:43 AM
Most important thing is making sure you guys all play on that server as much as possible, if u guys can arrange a common time each evening to go on together then at least you can build up a good public following.

Calneon
23rd May 2009, 11:50 AM
It would be good if we could replace the current Game-Monitor stats on the homepage with GameTracker ones, eg.

http://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/85.234.148.39:27015/b_160x400_T1_F-1-2-3.png (http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/85.234.148.39:27015/)

And also remove the Sigurd servers from the list.

Darkeagle
23rd May 2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah They look epic, Defo Would be better than our ones at mo!