PDA

View Full Version : ATK Podcast

Vicious Horizon
27th May 2009, 07:07 PM
Shouted this in the shoutbox, Chalex told me to make a thread about it, so hey:

Me and a friend have had an idea to create a gaming podcast, a mix of gaming news, reviews and just idle chitchat, and I thought, since we talked earlier about an ATK product, this could be one, just wondering what you guys thought and if you had any input. My friend thinks it's cool and is all for putting the ATK stamp of approval on it, I guess Chalex could host the audio, possibly even a video if anyone can be bothered. It could bring some serious traffic to the site.

Whaddayathink?

Target
27th May 2009, 07:13 PM
Like a podcast version of atk radio, but with no music just you talkin about new games and stuff?

Vicious Horizon
27th May 2009, 07:29 PM
Pretty much, I don't recall the ATK Radio containing anything like reviews etc. but I didn't listen to it alot.

Target
27th May 2009, 07:46 PM
Im sure it had some anouncements to new games and stuff, but obviously it was mainly music, dunno if i wuld listen to podcast, but always worth a try.

Vicious Horizon
27th May 2009, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I should be getting on with a pilot that I can show you guys when it's finished, make a final judgement then =)

Chalex4
27th May 2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks for posting about this Vicious. Overall I'm happy for this to become an official ATK podcast, although I would appreciate it if your friend could also sign up to the forums and take part in this discussion too.

In regard to the hosting, it looks like I'm going to have to upgrade our hosting package now :). I think we should steer clear of video for now though, until this podcast properly takes off.

However, I do have some VERY important points that you should take into account:

Keep it short - no-one is going to listen to more than 30 mins (at this stage)!

Personally, I would keep it under 10 minutes with maybe a couple a week - then people would be more inclined to try it out and I could make a MP3 play section on the site for it.

I hope your voice has broken too, although even if it hasn't, some software could sort that easily.

Make sure your microphone is REALLY good, otherwise noone will listen, not even me.

So yeah, good luck with it and I think a pilot is a great idea so that we can fine tune the setup before you get properly into the swing of it.

Target
27th May 2009, 08:24 PM
Yeh you really need a pilot so we can get a feel for the subjects and how well you cover them and quality content and sound. Think we should re-open the polls when the pilot has been made and heard

Trigger
27th May 2009, 10:48 PM
Meh, not into that sort of thing unless its very specific but good luck with it anyway

Calneon
27th May 2009, 10:48 PM
Make sure your microphone is REALLY good, otherwise noone will listen, not even me.

This please :D. Good points made by Chalex overall though. I'd definately listen to it as the only podcast I have at the moment is PCGamer which is awesome but only once a month :(.

D_K_Head
27th May 2009, 11:32 PM
Could be fun... Could write up some fun stuff. Ten minutes isn't too bad... audio only...

Hell, the only reason we (me and oric) tried commentating on the TF2 matches was for the lulz.

ez64
27th May 2009, 11:59 PM
I think honestly not a total yahtzee thing but having it in a video format with just quick funny pictures illustrating what your saying sometimes is needed and having the whole thing on youtube embeds creates a far wider intial audience.

D_K_Head
28th May 2009, 12:02 AM
yeah, but it'd take a hell of a lot longer to put even the most basic pictures in.

ez64
28th May 2009, 12:38 AM
Even in windows movie maker sure it will take more time but could be done only with an extra 30 minutes on total production after the first few times.

Colonel Mitch
28th May 2009, 01:36 AM
Chalex4 Videos: 10 min talking with interspursed images....

Estimated creation time, 2-3 working years.

Vicious Horizon
28th May 2009, 10:34 AM
Chalex4 Videos: 10 min talking with interspursed images....

Estimated creation time, 2-3 working years.

LOL!

And yeah, my voice has broken/is breaking, it's deeper than it used to be anyway. I'll ask Oric and DK: Is the mic I have atm any good? Or am I buying a new one?

DK your help would be appreciated if that's what you're offering =)

D_K_Head
28th May 2009, 12:48 PM
Heh, dead on Mitch...

and yep, you have my help, if you want it.

Isphera
28th May 2009, 04:02 PM
As of now, I am voting no. But if it can be proven that this can be done well and with decent content, and with presentation that will not force me to switch over to the other podcasts I have for tech and gaming news, I would consider changing it. The main opposition I have is the lack of optimism I have for this being done well. Having made a podcast in the past, it is not easy, and I don't think the community as a whole can pull this off.

Target
28th May 2009, 07:14 PM
Lol mitch spot on :D Yeh I like EZ idea and think it could defo keep the interest of the listener. Any way we will see when the pilot is made :D

ez64
28th May 2009, 08:22 PM
And maybe for another auidence plus, a build up to multiplay lans over the months before as a brief part of each podcast could be a nice idea.

Vicious Horizon
29th May 2009, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about talking about the iSeries stuff a little.

Me and DK have decided on "Noob of the Week", No guesses who it will be for the pilot >.<'

Target
29th May 2009, 10:00 PM
I hav a good feeling about this, so long as everyone in the community contributes ideas and articles for VH to think abowt or research it could work well

Vicious Horizon
30th May 2009, 10:22 AM
Well said Targ, it'll be a community project, so everyone is welcome to help out a little.