PDA

View Full Version : Google's new email - Google Wave

Calneon
29th May 2009, 09:05 PM
Ever the innovators, google look to reinvent email with Google Wave. It's an amalgamation of email and instant messaging, and it looks really really cool. The video is from Google I/O, and is about 1.5 hours long but you get an idea for what it is in the first 15 minutes.

http://wave.google.com/

Coming later this year apparently.

Target
29th May 2009, 09:53 PM
Google are awesome, always coming up with some pretty cool ideas

Chazlene
29th May 2009, 10:38 PM
Why are they making a new e-mail service? Seems weird since they already have G-mail...

Calneon
29th May 2009, 10:43 PM
Why are they making a new e-mail service? Seems weird since they already have G-mail...
Did you watch the video? It's how e-mail would have been if it was made in 2009 and not 40 years ago (words from the video).

D_K_Head
29th May 2009, 10:46 PM
I think the whole point is somthing along the lines of: Who uses E-mail anymore? It needs to be redone

Chazlene
29th May 2009, 11:29 PM
Did you watch the video? It's how e-mail would have been if it was made in 2009 and not 40 years ago (words from the video).

Yeah, couldn't be arsed to watch it. :p

Target
30th May 2009, 01:05 AM
lol, loads of people still use email in like business and especially at uni, but the idea is to kinda combine instant message and email, so that if ur both at the pc talkin its kinda quicker than email but if one goes away for a while its more like normal email, but like you have like amassive tree of a convo using a wave by adding like anyone at anytime but you can send them other private messages, the messages that are instant can show the other person typing which saves time but u can also keep it private. This really could replace facebook and other email services, its also been made so that other developers can add apps to it, so it kinda like facebook,msn and forums rolled into one program. TBH watch the video it explains a lot although the people are a bit lame :P

Chalex4
30th May 2009, 01:35 AM
Wow, I ended up watching the whole keynote and it was actually really enjoyable to watch, especially because it's obvious that this is going to be one of those "next big things" - like Google maps was in 2005.

I just love how Google has really left the book open, so that Google Wave can be used for so many different things. Yes, there's the usual bog standard email and instant messaging stuff, but the integration of images and video, as well as the whole collaboration aspect will make this really interesting.

So many times in the past I have wanted to edit a document with someone online while at home, and while there are solutions, they're all bloated with rubbish and aren't well enough maintained. What's most exciting though, is that any developer can take the API, create their own stuff just like with the addons in Firefox, and not only do that, but create their VERY OWN wave service. So companies will use this as their company messaging service with full control, blog sites will use the embed code to make everything linked to Google wave, and twitter will become even more mad.

Basically, thanks Phantom for posting this. Over the summer I seriously think I'm going to attempt to code something for it. Perhaps wave integration on ATK :p?

Vicious Horizon
30th May 2009, 11:53 AM
Sounds good Chal, looks very innovative from Google... again

D_K_Head
30th May 2009, 06:20 PM
heh, be nice to have a wave instead of a shoutbox. At least be more interesting.

VoX
30th May 2009, 07:50 PM
That's pretty cool.

Target
30th May 2009, 07:57 PM
As if you watched whole vid chalex lolz, its definately going to be the next big thing, think you should sell your house and invest in google shares, they'll fly up after this is launched coz its just sooo easy to use and anyone can add things too it to taylor it to there needs