PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Pricing & Preorder Discussions!

Chalex4
29th June 2009, 05:48 PM
Dates:

Release date: 22nd October 2009
Preorder period: July 15th 2009 until 9th August 2009

Pricing (retail versions):

|Home Premium|Professional|Ultimate
Preorder|£49|£99|n/a
RRP|£149.99|£219.99|£229.99

How many can I preorder? 3
Am I elegible? You need to be running a genuine copy of the Windows XP or Windows Vista operating systems.
Differences between versions: http://www.intowindows.com/difference-between-windows-7-home-premium-professional-ultimate-editions/
Upgrade options / IE

No upgrade editions of Windows 7 E will be sold in Europe. Microsoft says this is because it would port across Internet Explorer from the previous OS and put it on shaky ground with the European Commission.

This is due to competition allegations against Microsoft, so they are no longer allowed to ship IE with their retail produts in Europe unless the manufacturer packages it with the OS.

Minimum Spec:

1GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1GB RAM (32-bit) / 2GB RAM (64-bit)
16GB available disk space (32-bit) / 20GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

More Info:

Official preorder site: http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/offers/pre-order.aspx
Want to see if your PC can run W7? http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/upgrade-advisor.aspx

I for one will almost certainly be grabbing a professional version, a discount of this scale cannot be ignored, and I'm still on XP at the moment!

Fill out the poll and let us know what you'll be getting!

ez64
29th June 2009, 05:59 PM
I dont see much point in upgrading from the final RC beta release which is infact the finished version.

Chalex4
29th June 2009, 06:02 PM
The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you'll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010.

You could probably get around that, but it would still be a bore. Also, since there will only be support for the final product, I think it's well worth the £50 or £100 for something you will use every single day.

ez64
29th June 2009, 06:17 PM
The beta with a certain patch does not expire and all the updates work for it as it would the retail version.

Calneon
29th June 2009, 06:20 PM
I think it's a good upgrade from XP, but I'm definately going to hold off until I see what difference it makes, if any, in gaming. Most of the features to me look purely to do with the GUI and i'm fine with what Vista offers.

Colonel Mitch
29th June 2009, 06:30 PM
From trying 7 and my friend using it day to day, ive summarised:

It comes with an ability to "KDE 4.1" your tasbar, to make it shiney and harder to use.
It is (aparantly) slightly less demanding than vista, though if your bothered about the tiny % you'll stick with xp.
It has the libraries feature, which is like normal folders aka music, pictures, etc, but all in one place.

Other than that i couldnt see any real change from vista so for now at least ill be sticking with vista, and even if its £100 if you pre-order rather than £lol, thtas still £100 when you could "aqquire" it for free, or for £15 through an educational/NHS license.

VoX
29th June 2009, 06:59 PM
I'm with Mitch and Phant. On a good PC there's no problems in Vista (well, at least problems that would be solved with Windows 7)

D_K_Head
29th June 2009, 07:31 PM
I hate vista... but i'm used to it, and i'm fine with it until the next total upgrade... No real point in upgrading and getting dissapointed over nothing. I'll wait.

Mr.Big
29th June 2009, 09:22 PM
i had windows 7 on this pc, loved it, don't think its worth £50-100, as Mitch said, but i went back to xp since fucking creative doesn't support it with drivers for my audio card... stupid fkn creative wont support beta, but when it goes full they will make the driver and then i will definitely get windows 7

VoX
29th June 2009, 09:26 PM
Lol, seeing that then seeing your sig. <3 Mr. Big for being himself!

Colonel Mitch
29th June 2009, 11:28 PM
Ill see how much i can get it from my old school for after youve bought it chalex :D - its usually around £35 for ultimate or £15 for pro, and through NHS is even cheaper and chrises mum i believe has access to NHS licences :P

Trigger
30th June 2009, 12:17 PM
Those discounts look crazily cheap when comparing to the really expensive retail prices.

But i wont be changing anytime soon, got other things my money needs to go towards

Vicious Horizon
30th June 2009, 12:54 PM
Got it, In love. Much better than Vista and XP, and it's not even out officially yet =D

Though I'm used to running release candidates, so it may get even better come October.

Colonel Mitch
30th June 2009, 02:21 PM
Got it, In love. Much better than Vista and XP, and it's not even out officially yet =D

Though I'm used to running release candidates, so it may get even better come October.

What you find better than vista?

Vicious Horizon
30th June 2009, 03:45 PM
What you find better than vista?

Well, by looking at the topic, I'd say Windows 7..

Darkeagle
30th June 2009, 04:33 PM
I think he meant what features of 7 do you like better than vista, noob

Colonel Mitch
30th June 2009, 04:59 PM
Well, by looking at the topic, I'd say Windows 7..

What do you SPECIFICALLY like more than vista?

Mr.Big
30th June 2009, 06:01 PM
Lol, seeing that then seeing your sig. <3 Mr. Big for being himself!

Eheheheh hehehe mahahahah, i was trying to put a link to the you are a pirate song on the windows 7 :P but it always put the stupid youtube window itself...

Vicious Horizon
1st July 2009, 10:31 AM
Oh ok :P

The way it's much easier to move files to one folder to another, ie using the thing where you drag a window to the side, and it resizes to fit half the screen, the way there's a sort of tab thing going on at the bottom. It's much much quicker than vista on my computer, though that may just be because I formatted everything.

Plus the way it has decent support for the tablet PCs, such as what my dad has, and I sometimes use. The interface is more friendly imo, aswell as UAC being off by default rather than trudging through things which I couldn't be bothered to on Vista.
(I know UAC isn't actually off, but it's less intrusive :P)

Plus, it takes roughly 30 seconds to load up from shut-down, whereas Vista used to take 3-4 minutes (yes, that's not a pisstake).

That's my opinion of Windows 7, questions? xD

Calneon
22nd September 2009, 01:47 PM
Necro

Microsoft is doing a student discount on Windows 7, where you can get it for £30 if you have an educational email (one you get at uni or college) and you're running a legal copy of XP or Vista.

ez64
22nd September 2009, 02:41 PM
I got my full edition completly free from uni.

Colonel Mitch
22nd September 2009, 04:35 PM
I got my full edition completly free from uni.

If I wanted it i could get it through my old school for £15

Vicious Horizon
22nd September 2009, 04:40 PM
Got it for free. No piracy involved.

VoX
22nd September 2009, 04:54 PM
Release Clients and Betas don't count VH lol.

Vicious Horizon
22nd September 2009, 05:23 PM
I have the full version of W7. For free.

Chalex4
23rd September 2009, 10:28 PM
I'll make sure I ask the engineering block at uni about grabbing myself an ultimate key :).