PDA

View Full Version : Armed Forces

Trigger
12th October 2009, 10:35 AM
Ive just finished my Officer Territorial Army weekend selection, my muscles are hurting and i havent slept 3 days but had an awesome time and passed.

Was curious if anyone else in ATK is in any sort of armed forces or interested in the Armed forces as a job?

Isphera
12th October 2009, 05:42 PM
My physical size and my desire to live forever prevent me, plus I am not too interested in a military career. But mega props if thats the career you want to follow.

VoX
12th October 2009, 06:02 PM
Congrats! Much respect for the career (though like Oric, wouldn't go near it myself)

For Army guys, the PR forums have a few, plus most of the DEVs are/have been in the armed forces at some point.

What you planning on doing in the forces then?

Vicious Horizon
12th October 2009, 06:06 PM
I spent a loooong time in the ATC, so after going to Mexico in 2012/13 I'll be back and in the RAF, either in the Air Crew or Ground Forces, whichever they decide I'm more suited for.

Trigger
12th October 2009, 06:50 PM
Me personally im looking to go into the Intelligence service, probably the Raf but even into SIS if things change.

I wont have to enter combat as im in University, so i get all of the Training and qualifications without any of the risk. Though for me it requires travelling 3 hours every week to get into london but i read etc on the way oh i can also leave at any time

Im also hopefully going away for 2 weeks skiing getting instructor training with the help of tax payers, plus a swap into the american army for a month in the summer sounds like one hell of an experience

I can also join a particular detachment if i wish to get further experience and the like.

Its Tiring as hell somtimes but rewarding (depending on the type of person you are)

Vicious Horizon
12th October 2009, 07:11 PM
Sounds great Trig, hope you have alot of fun with the training etc.

Perhaps you'll be telling me where I should be bombing in a few years eh?

Colonel Mitch
12th October 2009, 09:27 PM
complining about 3 hour travel / week trig... ;)

I have to travel 2 and a bit hours to uni and the same back 3/4 times a week :P

Im nowhere fit enough to join any of the forces, have a friend whose been in the army a few years now, been deployed in Cyprus for the past good while, spent some time in Afghanistan right after training, and another friend whose joined the navy and about to go to it in a couple of weeks.

Vicious Horizon
13th October 2009, 04:00 PM
Doesn't take much to get fit Mitch ^^

Colonel Mitch
13th October 2009, 04:10 PM
Doesn't take much to get fit Mitch ^^

Depends how you define fit.
Im not overweight but im not fit as in strong. Also being tachiocardic (Ventricular tachycardia) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachycardia) i don't have the endurance to get through training for any of the forces.

Also Its not really my thing though i did once think about joining the navy as a tech guy, but no more than that.

Chazlene
13th October 2009, 04:31 PM
No fucking way I'm joining the forces... I've seen Jarhead, no one's gonna cut my hair off.

Vicious Horizon
13th October 2009, 07:35 PM
Lol, noone can touch Chaz's hair.

Target
14th October 2009, 01:53 AM
lol Chazlene, if i had to it would def be the RAF wuld be awesome to be a pilot or if it had to be army then really would want to somehow be sniper and sit miles away :D

Lol mitch get fit, it wuld probably requiring him having his taste buds removed so he could eat something that would allow him to exercise for more than 2mins :D

Bloo
14th October 2009, 11:28 AM
The only way I'd join the army is as a surgeon, and I can't do science for shit, so becoming a medic is off the tables.

Trigger
14th October 2009, 01:24 PM
Well ill inform you of recent developments, because the TA is now being shut down for 6 months - year this means that im also fucked, i will no longer get payed and my travel arrangements may not be reimbursed.

I have went from 100% payed to 0% in under 2 days, that has got to be some sort of record

Oh well at least some poor bastard in afghanistan may get a kevlar vest now

VoX
14th October 2009, 04:30 PM
No fucking way I'm joining the forces... I've seen Jarhead, no one's gonna cut my hair off.

This. lol.

Trig, if you still end up in London, after recent event, give us a shout, could meet up with me and DE if you fancy a laugh.

Trigger
14th October 2009, 04:51 PM
Trig, if you still end up in London, after recent event, give us a shout, could meet up with me and DE if you fancy a laugh.

Definately, id love to catch up again

Target
16th October 2009, 01:51 AM
I was gunna say abowt teh TA gettin shut dwn for 6months it was on the news a few days ago but wasn't 100% it was gunna happen :O
Like you say at least the peeps on the frontline will get the gear they need :D