PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7?!

Chalex4
24th October 2009, 12:40 PM
Windows 7 was released on the 22nd October and thank god we're away from Vista at last :).

I'm interested to know how many of you are going to install the new Windows 7 OS and which versions you'll get? I've got 3 versions of Pro x64 (legal) from:

PC world retail preorder: £90
MS Student discount: £30 (used on gaming rig)
MSDN:AA: £0 (used on laptop)

Of course each time I thought I wouldn't get it any cheaper :p. Ah well, it retails for £150 and the only one I'm not using is the retail preorder so I might make some quick cash on that one if I can.

VoX
24th October 2009, 12:50 PM
Why does everyone hate Vista? Providing your spec is half decent then it runs perfectly fine!

Am going to be avoiding 7 at least until an SP or two come out, but with DX11 apparently coming to Vista (http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,667894/DirectX-11-confirmed-for-Windows-7-Microsoft-revised-statement/News/) aswell as 7, I see no major point in going to 7.

ez64
24th October 2009, 01:13 PM
Got my free MSDN AA one but dont use that :D

It's quite nice but there are many retail bugs which are to be expected although thanks to the long beta since last dec most of the problems have been fixed.

Calneon
24th October 2009, 01:13 PM
I'll probably install the free MSDNAA version when I next format, though I don't plan on that for a while. I'm perfectly happy with vista.

Chalex4
24th October 2009, 01:50 PM
I've tried windows vista, and don't get me wrong it works alright these days but on release had a huge amount of issues. Also, it just never felt as quick for me as XP/Win7 does.

Windows 7 installed all drivers on both my systems automatically (including crazy little things), and has never given me any stress :). I really like some of the new features as well like homegroup, the snap thing and new media centre.

ez64
24th October 2009, 02:01 PM
Does annoy me though as most of the time I use to spend on making customers pc's was driver hunting :D

Target
2nd November 2009, 04:24 PM
Has anyone started using win7 yet...my cod4 clan peeps have started usin it an thinks its amazin, but am not sure. Some review it NOW!!! :D

Colonel Mitch
2nd November 2009, 07:12 PM
Has anyone started using win7 yet...my cod4 clan peeps have started usin it an thinks its amazin, but am not sure. Some review it NOW!!! :D

Personally I don't think its anything like its hyped up to be.

Its just vista with some minor tweaks. Only reason you'd get it in my opinion is if you have a computer that barley runs vista and u want something less demanding but not XP.

I didn't like the button style taskbar when KDE did it 2 years ago (Linux) and i DON'T LIKE IT NOW. You loose the ability to use dream scene and cant quickly right click and move 1 pixel up/right to close things on the taskbar.

In terms of stability / compatibility there aren't any problems with vista now that wont be made worse on 7.

Vista had a bad launch and was slated for it through its whole life. In my opinion 7 is just vista re branded with very slight changes, but very noticeable so the general public sees its different and doesn't think they're paying for nothing.

I'm not denying its less resource hungry, but these days you've got a damn shit computer if it cant handle vista... and if your computer can, I cant see any good reason to change.

EDIT: Also note I can get it for free legally and would torrent it if i wanted it so i'm not bitching because its expensive.

D_K_Head
3rd November 2009, 04:40 PM
if you want valid reasons to hate vista, I've got a few.

User Account Control.

Data Execution Prevention

Windows "fucking" Firewall.

No bloody sound drivers

This is why I hate vista. It is also an opinion, so if you're going to tell me i'm wrong again, up yours.

That said, I really CBA to upgrade again. If possible, I'll try to get back to XP with my next rig.

Calneon
3rd November 2009, 05:05 PM
User Account Control.

You can turn it off.

Please explain what this is, and why it's annoying.

You can turn it off.

No bloody sound drivers

That's what drivers are for...

I know you don't care what I think but i just thought i'd say it.

Colonel Mitch
3rd November 2009, 05:21 PM
if you want valid reasons to hate vista, I've got a few.

User Account Control.

No bloody sound drivers

This is why I hate vista. It is also an opinion, so if you're going to tell me i'm wrong again, up yours.

That said, I really CBA to upgrade again. If possible, I'll try to get back to XP with my next rig.

You hate vista because of those things - as phantom said you cant turn off UAC and Firewall, Data Execution Prevention (DEP) can also be turned off in advanced my computer settings.

And if you mean you dont have a stereo mix thats not vistas fault.

All of these things listed are in windows 7...... so all you've done DK is try to divert the thread.

ez64
3rd November 2009, 06:02 PM
Im pretty sure DEP was in XP as well.

D_K_Head
3rd November 2009, 06:35 PM
Why does everyone hate Vista?

Providing my reasons, and firewall/DEP won't stay off, keep's messing with my games

Vicious Horizon
3rd November 2009, 06:56 PM
Lol, Windows Firewall ftw.

I use it purely for the lols, it doesn't interfere with anything I ever do online, and it sort of does its job.

VoX
3rd November 2009, 06:59 PM
Providing my reasons, and firewall/DEP won't stay off, keep's messing with my games

User error tbh, stays off for perfectly fine, I've just told Vista to leave me alone.

Colonel Mitch
3rd November 2009, 07:43 PM
User error tbh, stays off for perfectly fine, I've just told Vista to leave me alone.

lets be honest vox.... your (multiple) firewalls stay on max protection mode 24/7 :P

VoX
4th November 2009, 05:05 PM
Haha, only got the AVG one, is all I need :p.

Colonel Mitch
4th November 2009, 06:36 PM
Haha, only got the AVG one, is all I need :p.

No, all you need is none ;)

ez64
4th November 2009, 09:09 PM
with NAT unless your torrenting (and need a ip filtering service not firewall) you do not need a software firewall unless you have loads of people on your internal network like a school etc.

The avg one is next to useless and horrific on system resources.

Colonel Mitch
5th November 2009, 04:33 AM
with NAT unless your torrenting (and need a ip filtering service not firewall) you do not need a software firewall unless you have loads of people on your internal network like a school etc.

The avg one is next to useless and horrific on system resources.

Yes but this IS vox were talking about ;)

Chalex4
5th November 2009, 02:54 PM
AVG is terrible now imo, it used to be so good. Nowadays I'm using a mixture of Comodo, Kaspersky and Avast on my systems.

ez64
5th November 2009, 03:59 PM
AVG is terrible now imo, it used to be so good. Nowadays I'm using a mixture of Comodo, Kaspersky and Avast on my systems.

What.....

Colonel Mitch
5th November 2009, 06:07 PM

What.....

lol giles did you not realise that vox and chalex are the people that insist everyone on the internet wants to hack into their pc to gain the very very valuable information they have. Multiple anti spyware/anti viruses/ firewalls are all completely necessary for them. The couldn't possibly just be sensible and not download the viruses and realise nobody wants the data on their pc :P

Target
5th November 2009, 11:27 PM
Lets be honest if someone really wanted to hack into their pc they could prob get past your free anti-virus and firewalls :D