PDA

View Full Version : Idea! New Server!

Colonel Mitch
25th October 2009, 04:47 PM
I have finally managed to come across (thanks to some creativity on my part ;)) the files necessary to run a DOD Source Gun Game Extreme edition Server. (GGEE)

There was a community that ran this for a while and it was VERY popular ( 24 man server always queuing to get on at peak times).

Their community folded about a year ago and took the mod with it so there aren't any servers running GGEE.

Chances are Me / Gary (Paper Tiger) got you to join us at least a couple of times, but if you didn't it works like this:

Round starts, you get the first weapon (which can be the lowest gun as you'd expect, reversed, or random weapon order - same order for everyone though).

This may get old fast on CS but if you played it on DOD on the large orange gungame maps they used you'd probably change your mind :P

With the real variety in weapons in DOD it is a lot more interesting for Gun Game.

Anyway, I'm proposing chalex gives me one of the servers to look after, which I will change to a new DOD Source Gun Game Extreme Edition server!

My hidden server I still run and if you look at the game tracker it continues to be ATK's most popular server by % full / time we've ever had since we've been ATK :D (The current stats are an average of 4.1 players over the last month, and considering its a max 9 player game.... ;))

If you don't like dod please don't object based on that. As some of you may know, I HATE day of defeat, but can happily spend hours on GGEE. All I ask if you give it a go, and for now at least I think you'd all agree that having a working (hopefully) popular, unique, server is better than having servers lets simply not even switched on!

Anyway, post your thoughts =]

Darkeagle
25th October 2009, 04:48 PM
Great idea, and their is no reason not to - 100 percent agree

Vicious Horizon
25th October 2009, 06:03 PM
Other than he who must not be named is the biggest fan of DoD:S ever.

Lol, but I'm up for it, don't see why we shouldn't, not like we use any of our other servers.

Trigger
25th October 2009, 06:42 PM
Me and Phantom used to spend quite a bit of time on a decent GG server, is quite fun, Ur version sounds exactly the same (extreme, dont think so) but it got quite repetitive, though go for it

Calneon
25th October 2009, 09:47 PM
Me and Phantom used to spend quite a bit of time on a decent GG server, is quite fun, Ur version sounds exactly the same (extreme, dont think so) but it got quite repetitive, though go for it
Yeah that was very fun, definately go for it Mitch.

Chalex4
26th October 2009, 12:03 AM
This sounds like a great way to try and resurrect our servers, I've always loved gungame on CSS so it should be great on DODS. Thanks for proposing this idea Mitch.

I've changed a 16 slot CSS server to DODS and you should have all the access you need :). Let us know when it's ready!

Colonel Mitch
26th October 2009, 12:07 AM
This sounds like a great way to try and resurrect our servers, I've always loved gungame on CSS so it should be great on DODS. Thanks for proposing this idea Mitch.

I've changed a 16 slot CSS server to DODS and you should have all the access you need :). Let us know when it's ready!

Good Good.

Cant do it tonight, but will make sure i get it done either tomorrow night after i get back from my 2 hour drive back from uni or will do it on my free day on Tuesday :)

D_K_Head
26th October 2009, 12:09 AM
heh, I've been getting back into DOD lately... this could be fun...

and "he who must not be named"?

Target
26th October 2009, 02:29 AM
ZOMG DOD is awesome sauce :D and gun game is sooo addictive, sounds like a plan :D

Vicious Horizon
26th October 2009, 12:00 PM
Don't worry about it DK, before your time :p

Darkpidgeon
26th October 2009, 10:28 PM
Well here we go :D

(insert funky name here)

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7821/24177706.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6807/11782901.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/46/21135331.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8748/22442915.jpg

took me about day on and off, fixing small tweaks and general issues. almost complete just need to get spawns fully working/balanced and will be ready for testing :p

D_K_Head
27th October 2009, 12:02 AM
...thats...
is that a map?

holy shit... nice one DP. Looks pretty awesome

Target
27th October 2009, 02:40 AM
noice there loads of awesome orange maps for dods anyway, cant wait for xmas now to get this on 100% activity seems as MW2 is gunna epic fail unless the greedy robbin
fix it

Colonel Mitch
27th October 2009, 02:05 PM
UPDATE:

Started on the server today but getting the "No data received" error in the INX control panel. Sending a support ticket and should have it up asap ;)

Trigger
27th October 2009, 02:36 PM
Give me a message on steam when its up and ill pop on

Chalex4
27th October 2009, 05:17 PM
Yeah same, I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like.

Darkpidgeon
27th October 2009, 07:03 PM
*update*

added more ramps/higher places

I have added a minefield below on the grass to encourage people to actually move across the higher platforms. But i'm not too sure if it would work, mainly because if you trigger one it counts as suicide and on GG loses a level.

but it does come with its bugs, at the moment u step on one it triggers the lot :D

so if people realy want a minefeild below just say and ill fix that bug. or I'll delete them all

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6594/hammer2d.jpg

if you couldn't guess the orange boxes are mines :p

Trigger
27th October 2009, 07:34 PM
Make sure there clearly marked areas of minefield otherwise id get so pissed so fast

Darkpidgeon
27th October 2009, 08:17 PM
:( aww to fix it i have to name each trigger block another name and change the explosion entity to match it.

the reason why they all explode is because their all have the same name due to me copy and pasting :p

was kinda waiting for a reason to delete them :D but if people want them ill waste some time getting it working

how about cone-ing the area off :p

EDIT: DONE, 70 individual mines named uniquely and 70 explosions tied to them. also placed many cones around the area, just in case :p

EDIT2: well its fun running into the mines and the cones flying everywhere :p . but I MAY/MAY NOT of made a mine with damage which is OVER 9000!!! ( 9001 to be precise :) ) and this kinda makes you crash

Colonel Mitch
27th October 2009, 10:04 PM
UPDATE: Chalex needs to tell INX to fix the server as they cant change server stuff on a server now owned by me.

Chalex4
27th October 2009, 10:08 PM
Lol DP, I quite like the idea of mines as long as it's easy enough to know where you shouldn't go :).

EDIT: Just raised a ticket with INX.

Darkpidgeon
28th October 2009, 12:26 PM
I think its done now. just need to play test it with others. will upload it to the Download section a little later so you lot can view it in game.

As for marking out the mines...

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2878/hammer3.jpg

only a fool would run past traffic cones :p
also their Prop_physics so have fun blasting them around with grenades :D

Colonel Mitch
28th October 2009, 01:24 PM
Lol DP, I quite like the idea of mines as long as it's easy enough to know where you shouldn't go :).

EDIT: Just raised a ticket with INX.

Any luck getting them to fix this?

Chalex4
28th October 2009, 09:14 PM
I've been trying to talk to you on steam, they want to do a clean install of the server and I was wondering whether you'd be ok with this?

Colonel Mitch
28th October 2009, 11:38 PM
I've been trying to talk to you on steam, they want to do a clean install of the server and I was wondering whether you'd be ok with this?

that's fine i haven't changed anything as it wasn't working :)

Chalex4
30th October 2009, 03:50 PM
Ok Mitch, the server has been reinstalled :).

Chalex4
30th October 2009, 05:52 PM
Oops, just got an update:

Sorry, the reinstall is still running- STEAM is running incredibly slow

Colonel Mitch
31st October 2009, 12:56 AM
Ty chalex good work :)

Just checked the panel and its finally up :D

Will get it up and running asap, possibly even tonight =] but tomorrow at the latest.

Colonel Mitch
31st October 2009, 03:45 AM
okay, spent a few hours trying to get GunGame Extreme Edition to work, but then found out that eventscripts no longer functions correctly on the Orange Box engine.

So until mattie fixes eventscripts that's not going anywhere.

But until then I have installed and set up basic DoD gungame.

Its very similar, just lacks the sounds "knife level" "nade level" etc and doesn't randomise weapon order / turbo mode at round start. also doesn't display the welcoming messages about the settings that GGEE does at the start.

All that remains until eventscripts is fixed is to upload some decent orange maps for gungame :) will put DarkPigeon's on of course and will look for more tomorrow :)

EDIT: You might want this :P
85.234.148.39:27015

Also ill give you admin when you come on.

Trigger
31st October 2009, 11:51 AM
Awesome. i say we find a conveniant time for everyone today and all jump on

Target
31st October 2009, 06:08 PM
I should be home next weekend, so that would be a great time for everyone to join :D

Colonel Mitch
31st October 2009, 07:48 PM
Indeed.

Done some play testing with oric and DP and seems to work fine.

Its a bit repetitive with standard weapon order every round and turbo mode fixed on, so still looking forward to getting Extreme Edition once mattie gets eventscripts running again :)

But untill then all that remains is to setup the fast download url and get some more maps on :)

Currently the rotation is the standard maps and DP's minefield.

Seen any good orange maps for gungame? Let me know!

Darkpidgeon
31st October 2009, 08:45 PM
Seen any good orange maps for gungame? Let me know!

Yes, my other one :D

all i need is some amazing idea to fall out of the sky and hit me.

but if anyone else has got an idea :)
can make almost anything, moving objects, bottomless pit..... ( yes I combined those two a while ago and it wasn't pretty)

Vicious Horizon
1st November 2009, 07:50 PM
all i need is some amazing idea to fall out of the sky and hit me.

There's your inspiration.

Blitz? Or other bomb-related traps?

Darkpidgeon
1st November 2009, 08:14 PM
hmmm explodie thingies that cause high amounts of rage....

I like it but I doubt others will :D I could get away with the mines cus they were clearly marked out but I've kind of got an idea off of DK for my next one but hey the more the better :)