PDA

View Full Version : Avatar Discussion

Chalex4
21st December 2009, 02:35 PM
We really need a thread on this film, as I think it's truly brilliant. Of course the visual effects were stunning, but I also think the way the story was executed was original and just amazing to watch. The 3D also adds some real depth to the experience. The last film the director (James Cameron) made was Titanic - Avatar is just as good, if not better :).

Trailer (in my opinion, the trailer doesn't show how awesome the film really is):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRdxXPV9GNQ

So who's seen the film? If you haven't yet, I definitely recommend 3D or IMAX. GO SEE IT NOW!!

Target
21st December 2009, 02:44 PM
Awesome, hopefully going to see it on Wednesday :D

Chalex4
21st December 2009, 02:53 PM
Nice, I'm going to see it again on Wednesday :D. This is seriously my favourite film of all time now lol.

EDIT: Just like when Celine Dion sang the Titanic theme, Leona Lewis sings "I See You" in Avatar. You can find the music video on the ATK Cinema here (http://www.atkcommunity.com/?page=atk-cinema#avatar1) (shows more avatar clips too).

ez64
21st December 2009, 05:12 PM
watched it yesterday and yes its a kids/american version of Pocahontas but it's still a good watch if only for the CGI.

Would be good if they left the film at Avatar and thats it not Avatar 5: EARTH INVASION IN SPACE

Chalex4
21st December 2009, 07:55 PM
I'm not sure about your kids comment, but yes there is the typical American army bit :p.

As to a franchise/sequels being created, James Cameron himself said he knows where the story goes after this film so there is that potential. However, I don't think it'd be called Avatar any more and would probably just be related the the evolution and progression of the Na'vi - perhaps exploring their planet?

Isphera
22nd December 2009, 10:12 PM
It relies on CGI, therefore I won't watch it, because every film that does has a crap plot, and thats the primary reason I watch films for.

ez64
23rd December 2009, 12:06 AM
The plot is good because its somebody else's so it isn't dire like transformers:Tool play set

Chalex4
23rd December 2009, 12:07 AM
Marcus I would have agreed with you 100% before watching the film. However, since Cameron filmed it using a completely new motion capture technique (with a camera attached to the actors' faces during filming), the characters are indistinguishable from real humans. You really get the actors performance, not some crap animation. I actually came to love the new race, unlike EVERY other CGI/alien race I've seen before.

Most people (including me) are saying this is the best film of the decade. That says something :).

Bloo
23rd December 2009, 12:20 AM
That the quality of films of the past decade has degraded rapidly? :p

D_K_Head
23rd December 2009, 12:53 AM
That the quality of films of the past decade has degraded rapidly? :p

this +1

Avatar looks pretty good actually...

Target
23rd December 2009, 03:00 AM
The scipt quality maybe, but its made up for with amazin special effects and cgi + HD ftw and soon they might make 3d feasable

Colonel Mitch
24th December 2009, 01:35 AM
Just come back from cinema with chris.... and though it pains me to say it, I AGREE WITH CHALEX!

Movie was amazing... going to chckout when i could go see it again, this time at imax, right now...

Chalex4
24th December 2009, 01:56 AM
Glad you loved it Mitch, I saw it again today and became an even bigger fan :D.

What did Chris think? Charlie (Chazlene) and Harry (Bloo) saw it today as well, hopefully they'll post their opinions here at some point.

D_K_Head
24th December 2009, 01:56 AM
Avatar has received the colonel's approval. This is a rare honour.

Colonel Mitch
24th December 2009, 01:58 AM
Chris im sure will post after he comes off CoH demo. I think he enjoyed it too tho.

Cant wait to see it at imax, not open cristmas day tho so probably go tomorrow to see again.

EDIT: On topic with the thread, that trailer chalex posted doesn't anywhere near do the film justice.....

and Oric - i think it was you who said you wont watch it coz its CGI. Go see it anyway. The cgi really is amazing, for the most part your not aware of it at all, and the story in my opinion wasn't bad either - its not a movie just about explosions.

Target
24th December 2009, 03:19 AM
Yeh this film was amazin, actually wana watch it again rite now, mite be one of the films i mite actually buy :D Really worth watchin and if you can go to Imax or see in 3d think it would be well worth it TBH :D

Calneon
24th December 2009, 12:16 PM
This film was a masterpiece.

Bloo
24th December 2009, 01:36 PM
Storytelling was decent, it did make great use of Checkov's Gun (something small at the start of the film becomes more important at the end) but at the same time was nothing special. Storyline itself was about every tale of white man ruining a beautiful native homeland, and struck me as incrediably rubbish. I'd have liked it more if the humans weren't all evil (unless they sympathize with the goodie aliens, where the only bad alien is just a jealous boyfriend). Oh well.

It may be Dances with Smurfs but it looked very pretty and the actual ecology of Pandora is pretty well-realised and like I said, it is very very pretty. But definately not the masterpiece or the best film of the decade like some people are saying.

Calneon
24th December 2009, 01:45 PM
Storytelling was decent, it did make great use of Checkov's Gun (something small at the start of the film becomes more important at the end) but at the same time was nothing special. Storyline itself was about every tale of white man ruining a beautiful native homeland, and struck me as incrediably rubbish. I'd have liked it more if the humans weren't all evil (unless they sympathize with the goodie aliens, where the only bad alien is just a jealous boyfriend). Oh well.

I don't understand what you're saying.

Target
25th December 2009, 08:16 PM
I don't understand what you're saying.

Does anyone :D

Colonel Mitch
25th December 2009, 08:43 PM
Going to see it again at IMAX 3D tomorrow night with 2 other friends :D

Colonel Mitch
27th December 2009, 03:25 AM
Just got home from seing it in 3D at IMAX.

Unfortunately i spent a good bit of the film marvelling at the 3D as id never seen it before, playing with what each eye could see, what i can focus on what i cant etc.

But on the battle scenes it was mindblowing - there was a piece where they were blowing up the tree i actually raised my hand to stop a splint of wood hitting me in the face xD.

Also the sound made a huge difference over normal cinema here. each explosion that sent the Na'Vi flying towards the audience was felt through the floor in a powerful yet not overly loud drone.

The 3D definitely detracted from the detail of a normal IMAX showing, but it was more than made up for once we got out of the station and into the CGI world where everything is rendered by computer properly in 3D.

I noticed watching the real people you could actually tell they were recorded on camera, and not rendered in 3d themselves, and in parts with the lab coming toward you and computer displays having depth, the people were like looking at a cardboard cut-out, thankfully tho, with 90% of this film being stunning CGI, after the first 20 mins or so of scene setting, it was simply amazing.

As i said before, for the value of the movie itself, the masterpiece it is (in my opinion), I would not reccomend 3D for the first watching, as it really did take my mind off the movie and what i was watching, but as a re run after you've absorbed the story, it sure makes for a brilliant addition.

When this film comes out on blu ray i will be purchasing a blu ray drive for my pc.

ez64
27th December 2009, 03:41 AM
Nice will go to watch it again in the london imax then :)

Vicious Horizon
27th December 2009, 11:13 AM
My dad's having a look at IMAX showings.

Calneon
27th December 2009, 09:15 PM
Just got home from seing it in 3D at IMAX.

Unfortunately i spent a good bit of the film marvelling at the 3D as id never seen it before, playing with what each eye could see, what i can focus on what i cant etc.

But on the battle scenes it was mindblowing - there was a piece where they were blowing up the tree i actually raised my hand to stop a splint of wood hitting me in the face xD.

Also the sound made a huge difference over normal cinema here. each explosion that sent the Na'Vi flying towards the audience was felt through the floor in a powerful yet not overly loud drone.

The 3D definitely detracted from the detail of a normal IMAX showing, but it was more than made up for once we got out of the station and into the CGI world where everything is rendered by computer properly in 3D.

I noticed watching the real people you could actually tell they were recorded on camera, and not rendered in 3d themselves, and in parts with the lab coming toward you and computer displays having depth, the people were like looking at a cardboard cut-out, thankfully tho, with 90% of this film being stunning CGI, after the first 20 mins or so of scene setting, it was simply amazing.

As i said before, for the value of the movie itself, the masterpiece it is (in my opinion), I would not reccomend 3D for the first watching, as it really did take my mind off the movie and what i was watching, but as a re run after you've absorbed the story, it sure makes for a brilliant addition.

When this film comes out on blu ray i will be purchasing a blu ray drive for my pc.
The actual camera footage was captured with special cameras, eye length apart so it is still in 3D. I really want to see it again. Will probably go when I go back to uni.

Colonel Mitch
28th December 2009, 12:33 AM
The actual camera footage was captured with special cameras, eye length apart so it is still in 3D. I really want to see it again. Will probably go when I go back to uni.

I am aware of this, but the depth doesnt compare to the cgi. On the scenes where hes doing his video log he looks kinda flat compared to everything else.