PDA

View Full Version : ATK Milestone: 500 Members Reached!!

Chalex4
23rd January 2010, 09:14 PM
http://www.atkcommunity.com/banners/news/general.png

Today we hit an ATK milestone, 500 members!!!

Thanks to everyone who has stuck around with us over the years, and especially those of you that are still active :D.

It's been a fantastic last 4 years with ATK (C2G as well :p)!

For those of you that are interested, our 500th members is tammysk (http://www.atkcommunity.com/member.php?u=592) - I wonder if he/she will ever post!

Note: this statistic was taken from the counter on the homepage, obviously some of these users are banned etc.

Bloo
23rd January 2010, 09:32 PM
You got to wonder whether Chalex is actually a person any more, or just a bot that occasionally posts announcements.

D_K_Head
23rd January 2010, 09:59 PM
my money is on borg...

Vicious Horizon
23rd January 2010, 10:49 PM
Woo, another non-poster.

I think the ratio is something like 5:250, active to non-active

Calneon
23rd January 2010, 11:33 PM
Fail thread.

Colonel Mitch
24th January 2010, 12:31 AM
indeed. its chalex attempting to make it look like hes active.....

VOTEBAN CHALEX4!

Target
24th January 2010, 04:22 AM
Its silly that we can have 500 members but only 20 or so actively post :S

Colonel Mitch
24th January 2010, 06:35 AM

probably less....

Isphera
24th January 2010, 12:40 PM

QFT..

Trigger
24th January 2010, 01:27 PM
Im posting because this thread made my morning allready ( well afternoon now)

Poor old Chalex

Chalex4
24th January 2010, 03:36 PM
Members are members. Active members... well, yeah they're much harder to keep :p.

If you're all so clever, have you got any amazing ideas to turn inactive members into active ones? lol

Chazlene
24th January 2010, 04:45 PM
Jeez, 500... is that all...?

And we have 24 active members apparently.

Vicious Horizon
24th January 2010, 04:55 PM
If you're all so clever, have you got any amazing ideas to turn inactive members into active ones? lol

VOTEBAN CHALEX - That's my idea :D

Isphera
24th January 2010, 09:29 PM

Try doing something on the site rather than leaving it to run itself?

Chalex4
24th January 2010, 09:52 PM
Oh Oric, ever the comedian. You may have buckets of free time time, but I certainly don't now I'm here at Uni.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, ATK is no longer "just a forum". I've added a load of extra features like the gallery and downloads fairly recently and am even willing to give away £100 of my own money for a giveaway!!! You may think it's running itself, but I'm still the one footing the bill. I've also tried to help the community's funds with the hosting :). It does get hard though when noone has donated in about a year.

Of course, I'd still like to improve things as much as possible on here. However, I can't run all the servers myself or dedicate myself to creating community videos like I used to do as much as I could.

A successful community is one that the members all contribute towards :D. Every single person I know online I've made sign up to ATK, some have stayed, some have not. I'm always trying to think of new stuff, but it's definitely getting harder over time.

Please, please, please don't say that I just don't care or crap like that.

Isphera
25th January 2010, 12:41 AM
I'm not saying that. I'm just saying there has been a lack of activity mainly because there isn't a lot of things happening or to do in order to keep people here. Yes, there is a marketplace, and yes, there is hosting, and other features which you have added, but most of the features added are reduntent and useless.

Most communities that succed have a central event or common interest to keep people engaged and makes them want to consistantly return. We had that at the very beginning with BRS and C2G when we all played CS and played as a clan with other games dashed in moderation to vary it up. When C2G became a fully fledged community, looking back now, I feel that we tried to do too many things at once. We broke into game factions if you will, and tried to still draw members from CS, which a minority of us still played, and even then it was a very small amount.

Then we expanded further with no influx of new members, and people that come here just get a bit disillusioned with the fact we have so much here that is inactive and unused, that they believe the community to be like that. The core that has remained has been those that were in BRS and C2G to begin with.

My honest opinion - I think we need to seriously look at what the community is and get rid of anything we don't need. Servers, forum areas, whatever - if we don't use it, remove it. From there, find a core interest or do something to draw people in. We may want to consider just becoming a small dedicated clan-type community of close-knit friends, but these things would need to be decided at a later date.

Chalex4
25th January 2010, 01:06 AM
Thanks for your comments, and I know where you're coming from. Since early July I have been meaning to clean up the forum catagories (as Phantom suggested then), so I'll make sure that does actually happen ASAP.

One thing I'm not willing to do is start massively reshaping the site, and while I will endeavour to make things more simple and straightforward, I think we really just need to push the games that we are all into at the moment. If I was a new member now visiting the site, I wouldn't know where to start... I mean....what do we play? :p There is definitely still room for ATK to grow, it just has to be in the right direction as you've said.

Target
25th January 2010, 01:27 AM
Tbh to get more active member on a gaming forum you need a game...that everyone plays...atm that could be MW2 if you decide that, then people should make the effort to get it and play it...or maybe when Bad Company 2 comes out then if we have server and populate it and maybe invite regular players to join teamspeak and get them involved

Bloo
25th January 2010, 02:39 AM
Lets see, Mitch, me, Chaz, Freddie, Mr Big, his frend Aven (?) play MW2 a lot, not necessarily together (its usually either Chaz or Mitch, or me and Chaz, and sometimes the three of us together usually) and that has been the closest this community has been IMO for ages.

And for once, I agree with Oric. I'm sorry Chalex, but ATK is too big for what it is, if we were just a group dedicated to one game (but who are willing to play other games obviously) it would work. But for now, all I see is a lot of empty forums.

Chalex4
25th January 2010, 05:01 AM
The forums will be sorted out Bloo, but I don't think there's any point in removing parts of the site like the gallery/downloads etc. Hopefully they'll be used more if we focus on one game as you say, and I very much think that Bad Company 2 will be the one for that :D.

I'll make sure we have a server as soon after release as possible, although I don't know if INX will be a ranked provider yet.

Colonel Mitch
25th January 2010, 06:09 AM
Lets see, Mitch, me, Chaz, Freddie, Mr Big, his frend Aven (?) play MW2 a lot, not necessarily together (its usually either Chaz or Mitch, or me and Chaz, and sometimes the three of us together usually) and that has been the closest this community has been IMO for ages.

And for once, I agree with Oric. I'm sorry Chalex, but ATK is too big for what it is, if we were just a group dedicated to one game (but who are willing to play other games obviously) it would work. But for now, all I see is a lot of empty forums.

/aggree with this.

Since getting MW2 there has been more regular community play than has been seen since the peak of the TF2 team.

Me, chaz, bloo, freddie, vox, mr big, and even DE have been all playing together for several house a week at least, several hours a day at best.

When was the last time we saw more than 2 people on any of our servers? (Excluding My hidden server ofc, thats regularly in use ;))

As we said when we got the servers from inx, we dont need 2 match servers. would have been better getting 1 or 2 big servers that were fun to play and we could try n keep busy.

Tho tbh none of us are going to be puttin a lot of time into TF2 or CSS any time in teh near future.

Modern Warfare 2, regardless of your opinions due to the server system, is undoubtedly by far the most playable and i wouldnt think im going too far to say overall best game thats been around for a while, and its something that the majority of members already have or are intending on purchasing post haste - for example i know chris will be gettin it once he gets a new rig setup, and other people posted theyre gunna in teh future on my poll a few weeks ago.

To be honest, witht he lack of server requirements for MW2, it actually makes doing the community thing a whole lot easier.
Anyone that sounds cool online we can add on friends, chat to, and invite and might eventually get a clan going. I know id be up for it.

I invited a small clan thats just starting out to here that i have 2 of em on steam i had fun with for a few hours the other day, but theyre in the middle of setting up their own site / voice server and its already sorted so wernt interested, but i bet there are many many more.

Vicious Horizon
25th January 2010, 08:39 AM
Ok, you've convinced me, is MW2 > New Monitor?

If so, I'll go out and buy it this week.

Target
25th January 2010, 11:29 AM
I'll get MW2 at some point but really need to sort out either a pc for uni or wait till I break up for summer

Bloo
25th January 2010, 03:09 PM
The forums will be sorted out Bloo, but I don't think there's any point in removing parts of the site like the gallery/downloads etc. Hopefully they'll be used more if we focus on one game as you say, and I very much think that Bad Company 2 will be the one for that :D.

Perhaps, but all the individual games forums could be replaced by one uber-forum as we don't really have the posting quota to need lots of smaller ones.

Also why isn't MW2 the one for us? You've said you don't have much time for games, and most of us usually fit them around the rest of our lives anyway. So why do you think BC2 is the one for us? Battlefield games usually take ages to finish. At least with MW2 you can get the cheeky round or two in in the twenty minute revision break you've planned or before making food.

D_K_Head
25th January 2010, 04:45 PM
heh, maybe because half of the community haven't bought into MW2, due to it being expensive and a scaled down version of cod4?

Vicious Horizon
25th January 2010, 04:53 PM
And with 90% of us previously being proud boycotters - I've sort of given in like the Chinese, can't beat 'em, join em.

Colonel Mitch
25th January 2010, 08:37 PM
heh, maybe because half of the community haven't bought into MW2, due to it being expensive and a scaled down version of cod4?

No dk, youre wrong.

More of us have bought MW2 on or around release date than any other game since we started.

Almost every active member has it.

AFAIK out of the ACTIVE members, only DK, VH and Target dont, and its on chris's to do list at some point and vh stated above hes thinking about it.

Calneon
25th January 2010, 11:54 PM
I don't have it.

Colonel Mitch
26th January 2010, 04:25 AM
I don't have it.

You aren't exactly an active member. Apart from coh and hon with triggeer I haven't seen u play anything with any of us for months :p

Isphera
26th January 2010, 10:05 AM
You aren't exactly an active member. Apart from coh and hon with triggeer I haven't seen u play anything with any of us for months :p

/agree - although I haven't exactly been a model of activity either.

Trigger
26th January 2010, 01:59 PM
To be honest after TF2 finally collapsed there hasnt been much urge from me to post onto the site on some topic i have no interest in, though as you can see i do read it as always.

I for one wont be getting MW2 any time soon, though BC2 looks promising, im sure youll start seeing me around more when i find a common interest ground again :D

Uni life for me, like most of you has disrupted the gaming i can do

Mr.Big
26th January 2010, 02:09 PM
I i say BC2 is the new "sex" , how many of us are getting it? im gonna pre purchase it in the next days for the early beta and items, it could really be a game to get the community back together and draw more members to hopefully a Clan in BC2, also MW2 like bloo said is shorter and more friendly to ppl that do other stuff during the day ^^, but i think we should focus the community more now on those two games (TF2 is always fun also) But yeah, tightening the leash on games is quite important because we are way to scattered playing diffrent games :) (but ofc you can play other games but this is something we should do more together)

D_K_Head
26th January 2010, 11:16 PM
some of the squad-games in BC2 look to be fairly quick. Meh.

Oh, and yeah, totally grabbing BC2, provided they don't fuck over PC gamers in some weird way

Colonel Mitch
27th January 2010, 01:33 AM
Its about appearances.

Its the very flawes in MW2 that make it satisfyingly painless (bar disconnecting from frist couple of hosts.

It feels so much easier to just launch, click play, choose game type, and your in with nothign else after several seconds, rather than find disk, launch, login, multiplayer, filters, find server, join, load.

i no it sounds silly but it really does make a sub conscious difference.

Im up for getting BC2 tho i dont expect it to be a life changing game.

Trigger
27th January 2010, 04:11 PM
Ive never really heard of a life changing game lol

Psychonauts is a quid on steam, awesome bargain game

Ill be on the BC2 Beta tomorrow, so get in touch those who have it for some games

Chalex4
27th January 2010, 05:08 PM
I've preordered BC2, and should get a beta key tomorrow. I also got a mic so I'll be up for playing with you guys on TS.

Calneon
27th January 2010, 05:30 PM
Sweet sauce.

D_K_Head
27th January 2010, 06:07 PM
might be able to join you...

Mr.Big
27th January 2010, 06:23 PM
cry 4-5 days till i can pre purch

Target
28th January 2010, 03:15 AM
Hopefully get some sort of rig that will play games at uni in the nxt coupe of weeks then i will buy it or I mite get it and go home an play during my "reading" week :D

Vicious Horizon
28th January 2010, 05:36 PM
I'm tempted to pre-purchase, but not from Steam, that's the route to get ripped off.

Bloo
28th January 2010, 07:50 PM
Fuckit, I got my student loan today (my second AND first payment xD) so I'm currently well-stocked money-wise.

So I bought BC2.

ez64
28th January 2010, 08:04 PM
Thats not being well stocked, although it is as near to free money as it can be :D

Bloo
28th January 2010, 08:11 PM
Thats not being well stocked, although it is as near to free money as it can be :D

My 30 year old self is going to hate me, but I reckon he's a prick anyway.

VoX
28th January 2010, 08:14 PM
My 30 year old self is going to hate me, but I reckon he's a prick anyway.

Haha, that's an awesome quote!

Bloo
28th January 2010, 08:59 PM
So far the beta hasn't impressed me.

Mostly because it won't let me play. I dislike. However I'm sure its just a bug, or something that requires half a hour of fiddly work to make it playable. So really I'm not making any judgement yet, it still has the whole beta thing to hide behind.