PDA

View Full Version : The Apple iPad (Tablet/Slate Device)

Chalex4
27th January 2010, 09:14 PM
http://www.atkcommunity.com/gallery/images/2/1_ipad.png

At 6pm today, Apple introduced the iPad. Find out more here, on Apple.com (http://www.apple.com/ipad/).

The rumours have been circulating for a very long time now, and it's awesome that the device actually looks and sounds amazing :D.

A large, high-resolution LED-backlit, IPS display. An incredibly responsive Multi-Touch screen. And an amazingly powerful, Apple-designed chip. All in a design that’s thin and light enough to take anywhere. iPad isn’t just the best device of its kind. It’s a whole new kind of device.

PRICING (http://www.apple.com/ipad/pricing/)|16GB|32GB|64GB
Wi-Fi (released in 60 days)|$499|$599|$699
Wi-Fi + 3G (released in 90 days)|$629|$729|$829

Video (better quality version available on Apple.com):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Hz8dhQw8Q

The Important Tech Specs:

9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
16GB, 32GB, or 64GB flash drive
1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip
Built-in 25Whr rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music
1.5 pounds (.68 kg) Wi-Fi model;
1.6 pounds (.73 kg) Wi-Fi + 3G model
Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

Other Comments
We don't know who the mobile carriers will be over here yet, but it's with AT&T in the US, with the following tarrifs:

250MB data - $15/month
Unlimited data - $30/month

I can't believe anyone would only use 250MB data in a month on this device, and I'm not too sure about spending near enough £20/month on top of my mobile contract.

What do you guys think about this? I think I'd want the 3G version if I got one at all, but I think I'll wait and see what the UK pricing is like first.

Also, I'm very impressed at the pricing and the fact that it has an IPS screen. YAY for viewing angles!!

Mr.Big
27th January 2010, 10:02 PM
Die apple!

tbh apple is the source of all evil.

Calneon
27th January 2010, 10:34 PM
Incredible. Apple are just so far ahead of anyone else in terms of leading the way we interact with technology. The only flaw I can think of with the iPad is that it doesn't quite replace the laptop, while you still need a phone, so I don't see why people would buy this if they already have a laptop and a phone.

ez64
27th January 2010, 10:46 PM
Incredible. Apple are just so far ahead of anyone else in terms of leading the way we interact with technology.

roflmao doesn't quite cut it.

Calneon
28th January 2010, 01:29 AM
roflmao doesn't quite cut it.
Yes it was incredibly cheesy but you can't deny it right?

Chalex4
28th January 2010, 01:34 AM
You're right Phantom, I love it how apple really designs a PRODUCT, making sure every little detail is adressed. I was starting to get annoyed with all the tablets running Windows 7, where it's sooo hard to use/see/do anything!

Having said that, I probably won't buy this until there is a webcam, multitasking, and flash. How am I meant to write a proper essay without referring to the internet every now and again? If they really want this to beat all netbooks, they're going to need to sort out things like that.

It also looks like a bore to type on since you need to make all your fingers hover above the keyboard before pressing a specific key. You can't just rest them on the keyboard like you can with normal laptops. The external keyboard/dock should fix that problem though :).

Calneon
28th January 2010, 02:39 AM
It will never replace laptops unless it uses a proper OS and not the iPhone one. The main reason I'm contemplating getting a laptop at the moment is the ability to work (mainly code, modelling on a laptop would be lol) away from my room.

ez64
28th January 2010, 03:01 AM
Yes it was incredibly cheesy but you can't deny it right?

If you mean a device with less features than others in the market a decade ago yeah, apple are ahead of the rest.

Target
28th January 2010, 03:13 AM
Its a cool idea, but a massive money grabbing scheme although it doesnt semm much you still need to pay $30 a month, I'd rather have my laptop tbh. And for the price of the 64gb you could get a pretty good laptop. The only impressive part is the lol battery life 10hrs and apprently it will last for a month on standby, and obv the touchiness of it like the i-phone is pretty cool but imagine how often ur guna have to clean it :S

Colonel Mitch
28th January 2010, 04:13 AM
ITS JSUT A BIG iPHONE......

the thing thats incredible is people will pay for this crap.....

I know its not meant to be a computer. but there are several things its really lacking that youd want.

screen resolution for one.

Also it doesnt support flash..... so say goodbye to that browsing experience.

i can see how this would be revolutionary for just browsing plain text websites, but otherwise i cant see it being very useful without a proper OS.

You cant even multitask on it.....

Target
28th January 2010, 01:23 PM
More like a giant i-pod touch with a feature to rape sony's electronic book thing. Its a cool gimic but its pretty pointless

ez64
28th January 2010, 02:42 PM

I know its not meant to be a computer. but there are several things its really lacking that youd want.

i can see how this would be revolutionary for just browsing plain text websites, but otherwise i cant see it being very useful without a proper OS.

And not being a phone is also a major downside.

VoX
28th January 2010, 05:24 PM

This.

It fails in so many ways it's untrue.

D_K_Head
28th January 2010, 05:31 PM
...that's a BIG fucking iphone...

How're you going to mess around with THAT when the teacher's not looking?

More like a giant i-pod touch with a feature to rape sony's electronic book thing. Its a cool gimic but its pretty pointless

Haven't apple pretty much made their fortune on semi-useless gimmick stuff?

Vicious Horizon
28th January 2010, 05:35 PM

FINALLY SOMEONE GETS IT

It's an iTouch sized up, and costs $499 for a 16GB HDD. WHAT THE FUCK!?

Apple really fucked this up, it's a useless, overpriced glitchy and heavy bit of hardware that anyone who already has an iPhone should lol at, and everyone who doesn't have an iPhone should lol at harder.

Glorified iTouch/iPhone with no real world application.

Colonel Mitch
28th January 2010, 10:01 PM
FINALLY SOMEONE GETS IT

It's an iTouch sized up, and costs $499 for a 16GB HDD. WHAT THE FUCK!?

Apple really fucked this up, it's a useless, overpriced glitchy and heavy bit of hardware that anyone who already has an iPhone should lol at, and everyone who doesn't have an iPhone should lol at harder.

Glorified iTouch/iPhone with no real world application.

All this is true - and it will STILL sell like hotcakes regardless because its made by apple....

SIGH

Target
29th January 2010, 01:13 AM
Tbh I think we forgot something...its aimed at Americans :S

Chalex4
29th January 2010, 02:03 AM
I think it's lacking so many key functions because they'll just include them in v2/3 of the device.

Apple always does things like that, as we've seen with copy/paste, 3G etc on the iPhone.

It's damn annoying, but everyone will have a small craving for the device once it's gone through a few iterations.

ez64
29th January 2010, 02:55 AM
All this is true - and it will STILL sell like hotcakes regardless because its made by apple....

SIGH

this :(

The retail consumer doesn't matter either since business's will have contracts en masse already for it just because they want to look good in front of other partners/clients so it will sell fine.

VoX
29th January 2010, 11:37 PM
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/9374/ipadu.jpg

Truth.

Chazlene
29th January 2010, 11:50 PM
Damn you Vox, i was just gonna go on b3ta.com to find that image.

Tbh yawn at all this minimalist rectangle shit, dunno who had the amazing idea to snap a laptop in half.

Target
30th January 2010, 05:12 AM
How annoying is it going to be to have to constantly hold it to watch or browse the internet, wheras my laptop can sit on the desk without me holding it :D

D_K_Head
30th January 2010, 08:38 AM
it's for people who love sci-fi and...

That's about it actually.

Vicious Horizon
30th January 2010, 12:31 PM
correction: It's for people who like sci-fi but can't afford a transparent OLED screened laptop, but still has money to waste on shit.

Chalex4
31st January 2010, 04:12 AM
Hahaha that's ipad vs blu-tack chart is utter win. I won't be buying this until there is at least multitasking, a webcam and HDMI out. A larger HDD wouldn't be missed either :p.

Hopefully Apple now knows that their new device isn't actually that amazing.

Target
31st January 2010, 12:47 PM
no they don't chalex as milliona of stupid americans will have already bought it. They'll release a new one nxt year with a few more features and prob another one after that which will actually have some more than make it worth buying one or at least give you an excuse to waste your money on it