PDA

View Full Version : The ATK LAN idea

Isphera
6th February 2010, 02:10 PM
This seemed to go by the wayside from last year, but it was quite a good idea. I think it turned into a more commercial venture, but I think we should just find somewhere, hire a building for a couple days and have a lock-in with a load of people from here.

By the way, my Madden challenge is still open.

Calneon
6th February 2010, 02:56 PM
/agree

We need somebody to actually do something this time.

*cough*chalex*cough*

Target
6th February 2010, 03:42 PM
We just need to decided somewhere were all willing and able to travel to

D_K_Head
6th February 2010, 04:02 PM
/agree

We need somebody to actually do something this time.

*cough*chalex*cough*

Chalex is the logical choice... unless anyone took business/economics and has an "Immune to CBA" trait...

Isphera
6th February 2010, 04:05 PM
If we can agree on somewhere and on a guest list, then I am willing to organise everything. I wouldn't want to turn this into a business venture, but as I think most of you know, I'm not exactly someone who settles for something unless its absolutly perfect.

Target
6th February 2010, 04:13 PM
Well Oric I think the date is going to be the main issue as most of us are at uni so we need some notice so we can get lift or organize how to get to where ever you decide to have it

Chalex4
6th February 2010, 04:14 PM
I always loved this idea, but as I said last time, there's a hell of a lot of stuff to think about.

In terms of organisation, I can't imagine this working unless there are at least a few people involved in certain areas. First things first though, we need to find a cheap enough venue on a good weekend that we can all get to. Since lots of us are at uni though, that's going to be rather difficult.

Over the summer I think I wrote a list of all the stuff we would need at a LAN, and was really surprised at the cost. There's the health and safety stuff too I think. However, as long as we really want to do this, it's possible :).

Colonel Mitch
6th February 2010, 04:18 PM
The main problem was finding a venue that we can all get to.

Giles isnt willing to drive mroe than 3cm, most of you are in the midlands, not south now, and me chiris and freddie are still north.

Isphera
6th February 2010, 04:23 PM
OK, to help out with finding the feasabilty - ANYONE who is even remotely interested in coming, post below with your location, how far your willing to drive and availabily from June to September.

Chalex4
6th February 2010, 04:41 PM
I think I'll be available most of the summer, but I'd rather it was over June-August time rather than September.

I'm from Witney, Oxfordshire. I think I'd be willing to drive slightly further away than Stoneleigh (1hr 15mins away), but probably not more than an extra hour. If everyone else is willing to go further though, I'm sure I can adapt.

Isphera
6th February 2010, 04:43 PM
Abingdon, Oxfordshire,
June-Sept
Pretty much anywhere

I put September as a run-off just in case we needed to, but I'd rather it be June/July. In terms of the where, I'm guessing we are looking at small halls.

Colonel Mitch
6th February 2010, 04:45 PM
me freddie n chris will all be coming from cumbria (barrow in furness). I think im safe in saying were all interested.

Im willing to drive to the midlands and help out with network setup and i own a 108mb/s wifi access point, 8 port gigabit switch and 16 port 10/100 base hub.

Isphera
6th February 2010, 05:01 PM
Not to mention your big ass projector, XBox and Wii. I'd be happy to provide my PS3 as well for the private LAN.

Colonel Mitch
6th February 2010, 05:02 PM
Was thinking the best place to host a lan at minimal cost may be at someones uni if you can get them to agree to it.

Treat it as an extra curricilar event you want to run for non profit and they shudnt jsut immmediatley say no, ive been to a lan at a uni before.

Vicious Horizon
6th February 2010, 05:37 PM
I'm interested
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Under 2 and a half hours drive really.

ez64
10th February 2010, 04:18 AM
I'd be interested in a 2 hour drive at the most though, would be a lot easier if it wasnt a commerical one as well as it leaves a lot less responsibility to serve the product and further the lan.

If they go well with ATK members it could be expanded later but would be good fun just for our lot.

Ive got all the networking equipment needed for sub 32 people but backup gear would be needed as well in case of an emergency.

So who is going to start hunting down venues?