PDA

View Full Version : Hardware problem

Mr.Big
24th February 2010, 08:42 AM
Alright, since i installed win7, my HDD (well one out of three that i have plugged in, im suspecting //C: because its the oldest drive) Is stalling/freezing up for about 3-6 seconds and then making a click sound, well, from what i have read on the interwebz it sounds like a good'ol hdd failure, and lately my browser is starting too freeze up between when i switch tabs, or open a new one (i have mozilla, and in the last three years it has never done this too me)

So any ideas?

Target
24th February 2010, 02:23 PM
Get new HDD plox

Mr.Big
24th February 2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah, but i dont really know wich harddrive is failing, it could be :C, but it could also be the one my games are on...

Vicious Horizon
24th February 2010, 03:51 PM
Well, I suppose you could unplug your two secondary HDDs (not C:\) and see if that still does it.

If C:\ turns out to be working fine, go Linux on the other two and see if it's them.

VoX
24th February 2010, 06:33 PM
Or run a defrag on them and see what one makes the click when being defragged.

Also, back up any vital data quickly just in case.

Chalex4
24th February 2010, 08:23 PM
Well, I suppose you could unplug your two secondary HDDs (not C:\) and see if that still does it.

If C:\ turns out to be working fine, go Linux on the other two and see if it's them.

This is the best idea. Just use the process of elimination to find the faulty drive.

Isphera
24th February 2010, 08:42 PM
Also, back up any vital data quickly just in case.

Having had my HD rim itself last week, I cannot stress this enough. Luckilly, I only lost one quarter-done music project which is redoable easily, as I had pictures and music backed up, but it would have been catastrophic if I hadn't. I calculated 6 years of photos and 175GB of music and videos lost if I hadn't. Some of the vids are also very rare or unobtainable now.

Colonel Mitch
24th February 2010, 10:35 PM

Who posted this under VH's name....

It cant be VH because this is correct and not noobish in any way shape or form...

ez64
24th February 2010, 10:37 PM
Clever girl.....

http://aqsaint.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/raptor.jpg