PDA

View Full Version : The 2010 ATK Music Poll Series - Preliminary Discussion

Isphera
26th February 2010, 10:03 AM
OK, it seems pretty clear from everyone's feedback that people want a music poll series to be the next one. However, we are split between three subjects.

We have between best band, best song and best intro/solo. IMO, I think Band because they often change or alter sounds throughout their careers and often a single song is very limiting on what the band is actually about. And with the intro, it is ridiculously limiting on a section and doesn't take any other parts of the song into consideration, and seeing as some bands favor bridges and awesome verses over solos (Tool and Chevelle come to mind) and thusly eliminating them from the competition.

Anyway, discuss below and I'll make a decision in the coming days.

D_K_Head
26th February 2010, 11:01 AM
Best song sounds like the fairest choice.

Maybe it's just me, but I choose to listen to individual tracks, rather than a full album. If a track dosen't do anything for me, I just move on. (maybe a benefit of using spotify?)

Isphera
26th February 2010, 11:07 AM
Added a poll to save me from typing each selection manually.

And I agree with you to an extent. I will often go back to an album and listen to specific tracks. But very often, the band often tries to give a messege or theme throughout an album, so I will listen through the whole thing once or twice before I listen or repeat certain tracks....unless it is headbangingly good. Humanoid on Chevelle's Vena Sera, Dance with the Devil on BB's Phobia and Animal I Have Become on Three Days Grace's One-X spring instantly to mind.

Chazlene
26th February 2010, 11:13 AM
Well I think out of the three intros would work best... but overall I don't think a music based one would work that well, mainly because everyone's so opinionated about music.

D_K_Head
26th February 2010, 11:16 AM
I've yet to find a single album that didn't include at least some filler...

then again, if I liked all the songs, they'd probably be the same damn one over and over again(See: AC DC/ Bob Dylan*)

Personal note: I don't like bob dylan... but he DID have a habbit of recording the same song constantly.

Isphera
26th February 2010, 11:19 AM
AC/DC bascially have four songs and then rinse-repeat-mix'n'match them.

D_K_Head
26th February 2010, 11:20 AM
they ARE good songs though

Isphera
26th February 2010, 11:33 AM
Damn right they are :D

On topic again - I am also a fan of best song, but I'd rather it be Band. BTW, We already have the four community consensus picks if that is the case. It will be songs used in the i-series videos, which...wait a minute...I chose :D So Time of Dying (Three Days Grace), Sooner or Later (BB), Catch Tomorrow (LostProphets) and Boten Anna (Basshunter) here we come :D Not really, probs wouldn't do any community consensus picks for this one, seem a tad unfair. I would also ban Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley, because that's just OP tbh.

ez64
26th February 2010, 11:42 AM
Best intro or best rift I would have thought then it can at least be competitive.

Isphera
26th February 2010, 11:44 AM
I'll do a nomination thread in an hour or two - I'll do best song unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Chazlene
26th February 2010, 12:01 PM
I'll do a nomination thread in an hour or two - I'll do best song unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Do best intro - people are more likely to actually listen to both choices then make a judgement, rather than just picking a band or song because they've heard of the band before.

Isphera
26th February 2010, 12:09 PM
But how many people will nominate intros? Under 16 im guessing. With songs, we will get at least 32, if not 64. With intros, some songs take ages to get going, so it might be difficult to get noms. Plus, do people really want to plough through their music library trying to find a song with a good intro?

Chazlene
26th February 2010, 12:17 PM
Plus, do people really want to plough through their music library trying to find a song with a good intro?

Well I'm sure people already know which songs of theirs have good intros...

Isphera
26th February 2010, 12:44 PM
I'll leave this open for a bit longer then, since only 5 people have expressed an opinion. I'll start the nominations thread up either later tonight or early tomorrow morning.

D_K_Head
26th February 2010, 12:58 PM
not closing the voting before noon? clever idea.

And i'm against intros. That automatically leaves out some pretty badass songs.

Isphera
26th February 2010, 01:00 PM
And i'm against intros. That automatically leaves out some pretty badass songs.

My thoughts in a nutshell.

D_K_Head
26th February 2010, 01:28 PM
heh, I always try to be concise.

So are you planning on a similar layout to your "best tits" contest?

Isphera
26th February 2010, 01:31 PM
It will most likely follow the same or very similar format as the DWPS, yes. Why?

Target
26th February 2010, 01:43 PM
Fail poll is fail, but best song would be lol a theres soooo fucking many to choose from Oric :D best band prob a lot easier

Isphera
26th February 2010, 01:48 PM
You know what. Fuck everyone else who hasn't commented. Time I did something my way here. Thread closed - It's best band time.