PDA

View Full Version : ATKBBPS 2010 - ON HOLD - Update

Isphera
16th March 2010, 02:51 PM
I've been a tad slow in getting the polls up for the first round, and that's likely to continue in the next couple days. Since we shrunk the overview, it has become dominated by BBPS votes, which I don't think is really fair on you guys who are posting damn good threads.

Thusly, I will NOT be posting polls for the rest of this week. Instead, I will be trying to figure out a new schedule which limits the spam on the new threads, but gets the poll series done sooner rather than later. This will most likely entail less polls a day and a longer time period for each.

I'm sure many of you are agreaved at this decision, and I'm also sure many of you will rejoice at the decision, but it needs to be done in order to maintain the feasabilty and enjoyment of the BBPS.

In order to compensate, please enjoy these pictures of kittens.

http://www.crapsonline.org/content_images/lucky-kitten-photo.jpg
http://www.freewebs.com/beware169%5Eposer/cute%20kitten%28weee%29.jpg
http://repairstemcell.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/president-bush-eats-kitten-1259.jpg

Vicious Horizon
16th March 2010, 04:37 PM
I'm sure there's a way to get the 'latest posts' thing to exclude certain forums, or maybe you can make it show only forums that non-registered users can see, and hide the polls for non-registered, or work something out like that?

Chalex4
16th March 2010, 04:47 PM
I could make it so that the polls aren't shown on the "latest threads" box, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea since many people look at that box for the latest stuff.

Vicious Horizon
16th March 2010, 05:02 PM
Maybe make a polls box =D

D_K_Head
16th March 2010, 05:09 PM
hehe... kittens...

Calneon
16th March 2010, 06:01 PM
I could make it so that the polls aren't shown on the "latest threads" box, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea since many people look at that box for the latest stuff.
Do it, have one thread in say general discussion for discussion of the polls and in that thread have a link to all the polls.

Vicious Horizon
16th March 2010, 06:08 PM
That's probably the best idea Phant.

Target
16th March 2010, 08:54 PM
make the latest threads box bigger again

ez64
16th March 2010, 11:00 PM
Just have a little scripted side box to take the latest only from the Polls sub section.

Or even better have a nice format which shows inside the box the latest polls and who is winning so far, im sure it will already be scripted on the internet somewhere.

Isphera
17th March 2010, 11:00 AM
Just have a little scripted side box to take the latest only from the Polls sub section.

Or even better have a nice format which shows inside the box the latest polls and who is winning so far, im sure it will already be scripted on the internet somewhere.

I like these ideas a lot. Chalex - Is it possible to get any of these two solutions done?

Chalex4
17th March 2010, 06:25 PM
Yes, although I'm going to have to find some space on the homepage for another module.

First though, can you please CLOSE all of the polls that you don't want to be available for voting on the homepage (poll options). Just closing the thread isn't enough.

I also like Phantom's idea, so could you also move all the discussion threads to community chat? After you've done all this I'll remove the poll threads from the "recent threads" box. They'll still be available using the "New Posts" button and via the "Recent Polls" box on the homepage.

Isphera
17th March 2010, 11:24 PM
I set polls to auto-close after a set time peroid (1 day for the first round of the BBPS) so that request is auto-fufilled. I did consider Phant's idea but I prefered ez's.

Chalex4
19th March 2010, 01:53 AM
I've added the polls viewer to the homepage, and it'll only show polls from this forum that were created in the last 7 days (unless they are closed).

The strange thing is that although you've set the polls to auto close Oric, they actually haven't. If you look at the options, the "Poll Closed" checkbox isn't ticked. This is probably just a forum bug, but for now you may have to do this manually.

To remove the poll spam I also plan on removing threads in this forum from appearing on the homepage (apart from poll box). What does everyone think of this?

Isphera
19th March 2010, 09:51 AM
I'm cool with it. I'll just post a messege in the overview thread everytime theres a new set of polls up, basically saying 'Lot X of polls is complete, Lot Y of polls are now underway'.

How would it work though, because if it blocks any thread in the Polls board from showing up, then we will have to move the Open Discussion thread to Community Chat.

As a final point - does the poll box display more than one poll at a time, or just the one?

Chalex4
19th March 2010, 03:06 PM
That's what we were saying Oric. Discussion threads would need to be moved into community chat so that they appear in the recent threads box. Let me know when you've done this.

The homepage poll box only displays one poll at random, from the last 7 days.

Isphera
19th March 2010, 03:37 PM
Moved both the overview thread and the open discussion thread to Community Chat. However, I am unable to add posts the Overview thread since I don't have any privs outside of the Polls sub-forum and it's locked (and needs to stay that way). Any possible work-around on this?

Chalex4
19th March 2010, 04:10 PM
Bah. I think we should have the discussion & poll ideas threads in the "Community Chat" forum then you can just edit the first post to link to all the polls and info in your closed threads. I don't see any point at all in just linking to a closed thread on the home page. I've moved a few threads (including this one) accordingly.

I also think that we should never close the nomination threads and that they should be in "Community Chat". We'll just need to tell people not to suggest any more.

I've adjusted the Polls Homepage Box to show closed polls. It's interesting to see who won previous votes, even if you can't vote in them.

EDIT @ 15:24: made a couple of changes to my post

Isphera
20th March 2010, 06:50 PM
I've had a brain wave. With my domain and hosting, I might as well just create a seperate forum and run the Poll Series from there, only posting overviews and poll updates here. It prevents the spam and keeps people discussing stuff here.

Chalex4
20th March 2010, 07:15 PM
Although it's an idea, everything I've set on on ATK now stops the spam and keeps the discussion. I did also put in time to creating that poll module, so I'd appreciate it if you actually used it :p.

There's also the factor of having to have accounts on 2 websites just to take part in the polls, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Target
20th March 2010, 08:36 PM
/agree with chalex where too lazy to go another forum

Calneon
20th March 2010, 08:43 PM
I've had a brain wave. With my domain and hosting, I might as well just create a seperate forum and run the Poll Series from there, only posting overviews and poll updates here. It prevents the spam and keeps people discussing stuff here.
Nobody would vote if you did it like that, I think Chalex has sorted out a good way now anywho.