PDA

View Full Version : BAFTA Game of the Year: Batman!

Chalex4
20th March 2010, 06:12 PM
Batman: Arkham Asylum has been crowned best game at the Bafta 2010 awards.

The British developed title headed off strong competition from Uncharted 2: Among Thieves that led the nomination field before the ceremony.
The game, which sees the superhero tackle a series of old foes in the asylum setting, also picked up the Bafta award for best gameplay.

Despite not winning the best game award, Uncharted 2 did take four other awards including best action and story.

The Bafta awards is one of the biggest nights in the UK gaming calendar. The winners of 14 of the categories are chosen by industry figures.

2010 BAFTA Winners:
Action - Uncharted 2
Gameplay - Batman: Arkham Asylum
Family and Social - Wii Sports Resort
Sports - Fifa 10
Story and Character - Uncharted 2
Strategy - Empire: Total War
Best use of Audio - Uncharted 2
New Talent - Shrunk
Multiplayer - Left 4 Dead 2
Original Score - Uncharted 2
Handheld - LittleBigPlanet
Artistic Achievement - Flower
Best Game - Batman: Arkham Asylum
Use of Online - Fifa 10

Before you say that MW2 was't mentioned:

One award, sponsored by high-street store Game, is chosen by gamers. As widely expected Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 took that title. The sales that Modern Warfare 2 racked up in 2009 made it the biggest selling game of all time.

But that was to be expected, as that's the game fanboys vote for.

Read more & watch interview on the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8577537.stm) | Interesting Radio 1 interview (http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_10060000/newsid_10063300/10063311.stm)

I wonder how Battlefield: Bad Company 2 would have done if it was released in 2009 :p.

Isphera
20th March 2010, 06:29 PM
I don't understand how FIFA won Sports Game of the Year or the Online Element. If it's games released in the UK, then it should be NHL 10, because that game is incredible. The online features in FIFA and most of the EA Sports games last year were emulated from the succes from NHL 09, which won nearly every single sports game award in the US this time last year. But I still maintain the best sports game overall is the MLB: The Show series, but that's only out in the US, and MLB 10: The Show on my shopping list in April.

And I have no idea why Arkham won Best Game. It was an alright game, but there were so many brilliant games last year that were way better. I haven't played it, but apparently Uncharted 2 is ace (as shown above with 3 awards) and probably deserved it more.

Chalex4
20th March 2010, 06:40 PM
I haven't played it

I think that's the key word. I played the demo of Arkham Asylum, and it was sooooo much better than I expected it to be. It wasn't just some terrible game about a movie, it was a lot of fun. The story was actually completely different to the film, the only similar factor was the joker.

I meant to buy it actually, but I think I decided it was too expensive at the time.

Isphera
20th March 2010, 06:42 PM
Read again, I said I haven't played Uncharted 2, I have played Arkham Asylum.

And I have no idea why Arkham won Best Game. It was an alright game, but there were so many brilliant games last year that were way better. I haven't played it, but apparently Uncharted 2 is ace (as shown above with 3 awards) and probably deserved it more.

Chalex4
20th March 2010, 06:44 PM
Fair enough, my bad :p. I still think it is a deserving winner though. Anything apart from MW2 is good in my book!

Chazlene
20th March 2010, 06:55 PM
Oh look who won the strategy category, no surprise there :p

Anything apart from MW2 is good in my book!

Really? Just because of this silly dedicated server thing? The multiplayer is just about better in every single way than COD4, not being able to have your own server doesn't affect the gameplay...

Also does anyone know if there's somewhere we can watch video clips of the ceremony? I missed the live stream when it was on.

Isphera
20th March 2010, 07:00 PM
Really? Just because of this silly dedicated server thing? The multiplayer is just about better in every single way than COD4, not being able to have your own server doesn't affect the gameplay...

It takes consoles into account and it's retarded on there. If your not dropping halfway through a game, your getting random lag and with auto-aim, normal becomes hardcore and hardcore becomes hair-rippingly pointless. Plus you get all the foreigners on there making you think your USMC teammates are actually the enemy and squeakers who have decreased the time period I have left before the appearance of tinitus. Completly unenjoyable.

Plus the lack of dedicated on PC annoys me as well, because it means I can't play on a 64-player deathmatch server on Rust :(

Chazlene
20th March 2010, 07:06 PM
Yeah but It's a really good game in terms of content, gameplay, concept, etc... Having a dodgy DVD that keeps skipping doesn't make the film on it crap.

Bloo
20th March 2010, 08:00 PM
MW2 is a good game, sadly the whole ethic behind it is less so. I find multiplayer works quite well and spec ops is just the most fun I've had playing with another person in ages.

Arkham Asylum winning best game might be something to do with it being developed in well, Britain, however.

Target
20th March 2010, 08:32 PM
Fifa 10 fails so much actually connecting to a game its ridiculous, how does MW2 not have best use of online/multiplayer :S

Calneon
20th March 2010, 08:39 PM
Batman was the only decent nomination for best game, all the others were console. Dragon Age didn't even get a mention.

I think I already have two very strong nominations for GOTY 2010, Mass Effect 2 and Bad Company 2. Starcraft 2 will obviously get strategy game of the year and Cataclysm will probably get multiplayer. Best use of online will probably go to that new gang MMO game (forgot the name).

Chalex4
20th March 2010, 09:35 PM
Portal 2 will definitely get something next year. I'm thinking "Original Score", "Gameplay" or "Story and Character". Who knows :p.

The reason I dislike MW2 is that it's success is only there because of the COD franchise. People just buy those titles, and Activision exploited this in cutting too many corners. No servers completely nerfs community gameplay on PC for a start, and it is basically just a console port.

Although the single player was action packed (and good fun), I was disappointed that the graphics were nothing special (just MW standard) and that I didn't understand the story AT ALL. It just made no sense. It was just a "cool" shooter, which I'd probably have bought if Activision didn't set ridiculous prices. Activision's CEO is just out there for the money.

Moing on from my rant, you can find the BAFTA vids here: http://www.bafta.org/awards/video-games/

Bloo
21st March 2010, 12:09 AM
Portal 2 will definitely get something next year. I'm thinking "Original Score", "Gameplay" or "Story and Character". Who knows :p.

The reason I dislike MW2 is that it's success is only there because of the COD franchise. People just buy those titles, and Activision exploited this in cutting too many corners. No servers completely nerfs community gameplay on PC for a start, and it is basically just a console port.

Although the single player was action packed (and good fun), I was disappointed that the graphics were nothing special (just MW standard) and that I didn't understand the story AT ALL. It just made no sense. It was just a "cool" shooter, which I'd probably have bought if Activision didn't set ridiculous prices. Activision's CEO is just out there for the money.

Moing on from my rant, you can find the BAFTA vids here: http://www.bafta.org/awards/video-games/

On Portal 2:
Probably won't win soundtrack or story and characters, Valve stories aren't cookie-cutter enough to win mainstream awards (and yes, I meant aren't, I tend to view people who give awards for games with a lot of suspicion).

On MW2: Completely agree then. Once again, when someone says "MW2 sucks!" I actually want to hear why they don't like about. That said I have low hopes for future Call of Duty games though, Activision plan to milk the cash co- expand the franchise till it is dried and rotten. Lets hope IW employees flee the company and start up another Something of Some virtue here game. Or do something genuinely unique...