PDA

View Full Version : Hey there

Yamikotai
16th April 2010, 12:33 PM
Hi, I'm Yami. Fan of gaming, and of techy geeky stuff :) See my machine's specs in my sig.
Games I play:
On 360 - CoD6, GH2, GH3, Rock Band,
On PC - Mass Effect 1+2, Dragon Age: Origins, Diablo I+2, UnrealT (4K + 3), Total War series, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Civilization series, Age of Empires/Myth series
Those are the main ones ;)

I mostly hang out over at http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/, trying to learn as much tech-related stuff as I can.

Glad to be here, hope I learn to like it here :)

D_K_Head
16th April 2010, 12:54 PM
ooh, a guitar hero player. Up for a challenge later?

Chalex4
16th April 2010, 01:25 PM
Hey man! You're definitely in the right place if you like geeky stuff :p. I really need to finish Dragon Age: Origins actually.

Chazlene will definitely be pleased that you love Total War. Do you have Napoleon?

Yamikotai
16th April 2010, 02:34 PM
Hey man! You're definitely in the right place if you like geeky stuff :p. I really need to finish Dragon Age: Origins actually.
Oddly I've never finished DA:O either, I keep starting a character, get a few hours into it and decide I want something different. Doesn't help that I always choose the (apparently) hardest mission to do first :P I'm now saving it until after the exams (AS-levels). And I don't have a healer so the boss fights are impossible.

Chazlene will definitely be pleased that you love Total War. Do you have Napoleon?
It's the only one I don't have :P I am looking into getting it, though. Been holding off hoping they'll add a console sometime. Which is the reason I regret pre-ordering Empire.

ooh, a guitar hero player. Up for a challenge later?I only play on the 360 controller, since I've always been too cheap to buy a guitar (and the Rock Band one refuses to work for GH2/3) - unfortunately this messes up any multiplayer against someone not using the controller, since I'm epicly good at any song that's difficult on guitar (Cult of P), and vice-versa - anything with long chains of the same note is impossible on controller since you need to press the button for each note :P
I also don't have access to my 360 until tomorrow (I left it at a friend's).

Bloo
16th April 2010, 02:35 PM

Just give up a week of your life and complete it then. :p

Yamikotai
16th April 2010, 02:39 PM
One week, plus the various DLC, and the expansion :D

Bloo
16th April 2010, 02:44 PM
One week, plus the various DLC, and the expansion :D

And another weekend spare for Awakening. XD

Yamikotai
16th April 2010, 02:46 PM
Isn't that the expansion?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_age_awakening

Bloo
16th April 2010, 02:48 PM
Isn't that the expansion?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_age_awakening

Yes, Awakening is the expansion, it takes about three days of playing to complete, maybe four.

Target
16th April 2010, 02:51 PM
Hi Hi , watch out for chalex he likes young boys and girls and your money :D

Yamikotai
16th April 2010, 03:04 PM
I was wondering who that was I had to pay at the gates to register for free :P

Edit: Btw what are those orange and green bars slowly filling up?

D_K_Head
16th April 2010, 03:32 PM
Your mental instability, and your incontinence detector...

We've found them useful in the past....

Oh, and in relation to guitar/controller, I wasn't talking about on the 360. Have you got steam?

Marshy
16th April 2010, 03:36 PM
Orange - Points
Green - Activ9ty

Whalecum

Yamikotai
16th April 2010, 03:47 PM
I'm Yamikotai on Steam too - But I also use the 360 controller for the PC version.

Your mental instability, and your incontinence detector...

We've found them useful in the past....
LOL

And thanks, Marshy ;)

VoX
16th April 2010, 04:09 PM
Welcome :D

Always nice to see another tech head around, pretty sweet rig as well, and a very nice clock on the E8400 (Reminds me, I really need to push further on my Q6700 haha)

Are you by any chance coming to i40?

Yamikotai
16th April 2010, 06:22 PM
VH was mentioning I should go - dunno how much it costs/where to get tickets/etc., though.

And yeah, 4GHz is about as far as I could get it without buying aftermarket heatsinks for northbridge and s/bridge. I'm mostly broke at the moment, so it's on the drawing board.

VoX
16th April 2010, 06:41 PM
www.multiplay.co.uk Can get everything there :)

Yeah, never experienced an nV chipset but from what I've heard about them they are hot running buggers (The NF200 sitting under there probably doesn't help aswell) and tend not to like being clocked that much (Although I've been told 780i's and 790i's were an exception.) Any planned upgrades then?

Yamikotai
16th April 2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the link ;)

780i is technically great for OCing, brilliant and very 'fine' options in the BIOS, but it fails from the aforementioned heatsink problem - they're fairly nice (for a S775 mobo; i3/5/7 ones are awesome) but they're seemingly covered in some crappy plastic to make them visually fit the rest of the mobo.

So, from OCing perspective, my next upgrade will probably be a couple of nice copper heatsinks for Nbridge and Sbridge, and in the long term a triple radiator for a WCing setup.

General-upgrades-wise, I'm currently saving for a 40GB or 60GB Intel SSD for my netbook. For my desktop, I don't want anything specific, just an i7+nice OCing mobo+6GB DDR3.

Edit: i40 is starts just a week before my 18th so I'm sure my parents would be happy to pay - £72 is quite good.

Chazlene
16th April 2010, 07:11 PM
Welcome to ATK, hope you enjoy your time here. And yeah.. please get Nap: TW soon, REALLY need someone to play with :p

Yamikotai
16th April 2010, 07:24 PM
I might do, what's it like compared to Empire? Does it have a console?

Chazlene
16th April 2010, 07:31 PM
I might do, what's it like compared to Empire? Does it have a console?

Umm not sure, I don't use the console since I'm not a Cheater :p

But Napoleon is miles better than Empire despite having the same engine, has been done in a lot more detail and the battles are so much more epic than before.

Yamikotai
16th April 2010, 07:38 PM
Okay - I'll probably pick it up after the exams ;)

D_K_Head
16th April 2010, 07:47 PM
heh, chaz really DOES need a total war partner... his tactics tend to be ineffective against AI opponents...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DONaYXT_nEE&feature=player_embedded

Target
16th April 2010, 08:05 PM
lol chaz u play that gametoo much :D

VoX
16th April 2010, 10:50 PM
No worries :)

So, from OCing perspective, my next upgrade will probably be a couple of nice copper heatsinks for Nbridge and Sbridge, and in the long term a triple radiator for a WCing setup.

Very nice, hopefully allow you to push higher and see what you can get. Been looking at WC but would struggle to fit anything worthwhile (240mm rad) in my case (902) without some modding to the front bays, plus I can't see it being a massive improvement over my TRUE.

That, plus I'm waiting for a few reviews then I may be pulling the trigger on the new HP ZR24w :p.

Yamikotai
17th April 2010, 01:11 AM
That's why I love my HAF - buckets of room with even more buckets added on. Got room for two PSUs, or one + triple/360mm rad :D

Anything particularly special about that monitor or do you just want to get another for dual monitors? Looks pretty pricy.

plus I can't see it being a massive improvement over my TRUE.What do you think of the TRUE? I would have gotten the TRUE copper by now if it weren't £80+ (money better put towards WCing).

VoX
17th April 2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah, seen a few WC buildlogs inside the HAF, all have incredible cable management and the WC doesn't look crowded in, came out just after I bought all my gear and the only thing missing is dust filters from it. Other than that, it seems like a cracker of a case.

Yeah, is just over the £300 mark, but it's one of the few 24" screens that isn't going 16:9 plus I've been tempted by IPS screens for a while, however the only 24" ones that were out were £450 and had colour uniformity issues (Both used same panel.) The enhanced viewing angles aren't that important but I'd preferably like a bit more colour accuracy for photoshop work.

Really like the TRUE, is what's stopping me from going WC. A quick 5 min prime run (Large FFTs) doesn't see temps going over 40C (3.2Ghz, 1.3v, ambient probably around 15C or so). Haven't lapped it/washer modded it, haven't felt the need to yet, although I keep meaning to see if I can pull of the rare feat of getting a Q6700 to 4Ghz on air, then it might need lapping haha.

Got any specific WC gear in mind?

Yamikotai
17th April 2010, 11:32 AM
Got any specific WC gear in mind?
Not yet - I know when I do choose it'll be using this guide a friend made:
http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f115/water-cooling-101-depth-guide-taking-plunge-203866/
Once he finishes it, *fingerscrossed*