PDA

View Full Version : A New ATK!

Chalex4
19th April 2010, 12:40 AM
http://www.atkcommunity.com/banners/news/general.png

Welcome to the latest redesign of ATK! Over the last few days Chazlene and I have been working flat-out to bring you a brand new look for ATKCommunity.com. It was easy to see that our old site was dating fast, and we really hope that this is what you've all been wanting!

Over the next few days/weeks we will continue to improve the site, tweaking it to make it perfect. Please let us know below if you find anything "unusual" or just want something outright changed!

Chazlene
19th April 2010, 12:46 AM
Just fucking BEHOLD.

Calneon
19th April 2010, 12:48 AM
It looks fantastic!

Target
19th April 2010, 02:25 AM
Good, but don't like the background think it needs to be plainer some how :S
like this http://www.thesecondcoming.540hosting.com/index.php

Chalex4
19th April 2010, 02:32 AM
Hahaha wait until chaz sees that :p. When we were creating the site we knew the background was quite "busy". We thought we'd put it up anyway though, as we couldn't be sure how everyone would react to such a change.

If you want something else, just show us what you're thinking of.

PS. Can I have a new sig someone?

Mr.Big
19th April 2010, 03:55 AM
ugh, gief old one back, oh well i will like this in the future...

Vicious Horizon
19th April 2010, 07:36 AM
Looks awesome - is there meant to be two white bars either side of the screen though? (Looks cool, but just making sure)

Also, it looks alot thinner, with this 1280x800 res it's bound to look a bit bad, I'm sure when I get my new widescreen monitor it'll look good.

ez64
19th April 2010, 08:03 AM
Just give us the option for unfixed width in the forum settings im pretty sure its there.

Vicious Horizon
19th April 2010, 09:15 AM
Fixed your sig Chalex, as soon as I can upload it I'll send it to you mate.

Chazlene
19th April 2010, 10:55 AM
Fixed your sig Chalex, as soon as I can upload it I'll send it to you mate.

Lol probably should've let me do it since I have the .PSD and can just delete the background :p

Chalex4
19th April 2010, 11:36 AM
Our gallery currently doesn't work on vBulletin 4, so I'm waiting for it to be updated. So, if someone wants to send me the image just upload it somewhere else and PM me the link :). Cheers for doing that VH.

ez64, I hate to break your heart but we aren't going back to a fluid width. This is far easier to use and has been specifically designed to look nice as it is. There was far too much empty space on the old site when using a big monitor.

Finally, you'll find that when using Internet Explorer, the site isn't the fastest when scrolling. This is purely because IE sucks compared to Chrome, Opera or Firefox, where it's smooth as butter.

Calneon
19th April 2010, 12:15 PM
Good, but don't like the background think it needs to be plainer some how :S
like this http://www.thesecondcoming.540hosting.com/index.php
That's so boring. The new background looks awesome.

Target
19th April 2010, 12:27 PM
Well I didn't really mean just plain but this new back ground makes me feel physically ill its like an acid trip but with no relevance to anything :S

Trigger
19th April 2010, 12:55 PM
I forgot all about the change and really had me thinking about whats going on for a good couple of seconds.

Nice job guys

Chalex4
19th April 2010, 03:00 PM
Haha Trigger, I'm glad you like it.

The downloads area (http://www.atkcommunity.com/downloads.php) is now working!

VoX
19th April 2010, 04:13 PM
I like, will take a while to get used to, but I like indeed.

Chalex, if you want a complete new sig give me an image or two to work with and a style and I'll see what I can do (Unless VH or Chaz beats me that is haha)

Chaz, you need to delete the BG on your sig btw!

Darkpidgeon
19th April 2010, 04:39 PM
Very nice. I like :D

Now being totally honest, it did take me a good 5 minuets of searching before i found the login :P

D_K_Head
19th April 2010, 05:06 PM
Very pretty!

Chazlene
19th April 2010, 05:18 PM
Chaz, you need to delete the BG on your sig btw!

Lol I would, if I could find the PSD.

ez64
19th April 2010, 05:41 PM
Our gallery currently doesn't work on vBulletin 4, so I'm waiting for it to be updated. So, if someone wants to send me the image just upload it somewhere else and PM me the link :). Cheers for doing that VH.

ez64, I hate to break your heart but we aren't going back to a fluid width. This is far easier to use and has been specifically designed to look nice as it is. There was far too much empty space on the old site when using a big monitor.

Finally, you'll find that when using Internet Explorer, the site isn't the fastest when scrolling. This is purely because IE sucks compared to Chrome, Opera or Firefox, where it's smooth as butter.

60% of my screen is now wasted entirely on a graphic in the background and the remaining 40% is transparent.

Colonel Mitch
19th April 2010, 06:01 PM
60% of my screen is now wasted entirely on a graphic in the background and the remaining 40% is transparent.

/agree

I think the new backgrounds fine but seriously at least half the screen has nothing on it. If you dont want to make the forum fluid size thats fine but if the option is there for users to have it enabled, I like EZ would really prefer that...

Just put opera to 200% zoom and these still space at the sides with nothing on it....

Also theres no horizontal scroll bar so if u put in a window u cant move side to side without arrow keys =/

Also its not clear enough which threads have new posts on the homepage and on the same note its not as easy to glance over the homepage and notice the different sections. Nothing particularly stands out.

Other than that its not bad tho i very much dislike having the fixed width at 768 pixels or whatever it is...

Also the shoutbox no longer supports editing which is lol.

Also when clicking the "new post" button (on a thread name on the homepage, not the new posts button at the top), if its the new post isnt on page 1 its not working.

Chalex4
19th April 2010, 06:21 PM
I think the new backgrounds fine but seriously at least half the screen has nothing on it.

If I included a fluid option, the background would need to change since it would be too distracting behind the text. For now, I think I'm just going to see how viable it would be to just increate the width by 60 pixels or so.

Also theres no horizontal scroll bar so if u put in a window u cant move side to side without arrow keys =/
This is a bug. It came about when I set the login bar to STAY at the top of the site (and not scroll with you). I'm working on a fix.

Also its not clear enough which threads have new posts on the homepage and on the same note its not as easy to glance over the homepage and notice the different sections. Nothing particularly stands out.

I agree with this, and will be looking into making the thread titles stand out much more.

Also the shoutbox no longer supports editing which is lol.

Our old shoutbox doesn't work with the new VB. I prefer this new version, but you can't edit inline. To edit your posts, simply go to the ChatBox Archives (http://www.atkcommunity.com/misc.php?do=ccarc) (it's on the dropdown).

Also when clicking the "new post" button (on a thread name on the homepage, not the new posts button at the top), if its the new post isnt on page 1 its not working.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Perhaps a screenshot?

Colonel Mitch
19th April 2010, 06:29 PM
this...
http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t333/piers1989/forum.jpg

doesnt work. makes it very annoying to find the newest post in a thread thats 15 pages long =/

ez64
19th April 2010, 06:32 PM
Just got to force my new code userside now and change the colours but much better for me and dynamic for anyone of my screens -_-.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/7391/winyd.png (http://img683.imageshack.us/i/winyd.png/)

Rebellion v2.0 also needs to replace the centering code I deleted for the nav bars :D

Chalex4
19th April 2010, 06:40 PM
this doesnt work. makes it very annoying to find the newest post in a thread thats 15 pages long =/

I completely hear you. It should now be fixed (the actual vbulletin file was wrong!).

Each to their own ez, but there's still so much blank space on the right side of all the posts there!

ez64
19th April 2010, 06:45 PM
Just out of interest did you use separate css files as on the source version I had to create them.

Colonel Mitch
19th April 2010, 06:50 PM
Just got to force my new code userside now and change the colours but much better for me and dynamic for anyone of my screens -_-.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/7391/winyd.png (http://img683.imageshack.us/i/winyd.png/)

Rebellion v2.0 also needs to replace the centering code I deleted for the nav bars :D

So.... Glies..... rumour has it you no how to make the page stretch.... :D

ez64
19th April 2010, 06:52 PM
fasted way is these two,
<td class="atk_body_left"></td>
<td class="atk_body_center">

and kill anything with transparent and the background image.

Working on creating a modded CSS file that loads whenever I use the page.

Chalex4
19th April 2010, 06:54 PM
Just out of interest did you use separate css files as on the source version I had to create them.

There are about 75 different .css files :p. Have fun with that!

Colonel Mitch
19th April 2010, 06:57 PM
fasted way is these two,
<td class="atk_body_left"></td>
<td class="atk_body_center">

and kill anything with transparent and the background image.

Working on creating a modded CSS file that loads whenever I use the page.

I dont do this kind of stuff lol...... how do i go about doing that on client side?

ez64
19th April 2010, 06:58 PM
you wont be able to till I mod the CSS or find the firefox plugin that did it for me as a perma thing.

Chalex4
19th April 2010, 07:02 PM
Ok, I appreciate that you like modifying it to your tastes, but can we please keep this thread for improvements on the current skin.

Colonel Mitch
19th April 2010, 07:10 PM
Ok, I appreciate that you like modifying it to your tastes, but can we please keep this thread for improvements on the current skin.

in my mind i am improving it :P

Im happy with the background and transparancy jsut want it to fit the page lol.

Calneon
19th April 2010, 07:28 PM
Why are people moaning about the forums being too small? Instead of having one line of text going from the very left of the screen to the very right, you now have it all in the middle so you don't have to move your head as much.

Colonel Mitch
19th April 2010, 07:44 PM
here is how it is in portrait mode on my screen.

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t333/piers1989/atkpartrait.jpg

Pretty epic but i dont exactly regularly use portrait mode....

VoX
19th April 2010, 08:08 PM
Haha, looks pretty awesome in portrait.

Sidenote: Mitch, any reason you're no using the latest Opera?

Calneon
19th April 2010, 08:09 PM
here is how it is in portrait mode on my screen.

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t333/piers1989/atkpartrait.jpg

Pretty epic but i dont exactly regularly use portrait mode....
Win.

FUCKING CHARACTER LIMIT!

Chalex4
19th April 2010, 08:35 PM
That looks absolutely AMAZING Mitch! I want to buy a new monitor just to view the site like that.

In other news, I've fixed the scrolling problems totally. If you CTRL-REFRESH the site then you'll see that scroll bars appear only where they are meant to :).

I've also removed the minimum character limit, just for you Phantom.

Calneon
19th April 2010, 09:09 PM
YES!

Target
19th April 2010, 09:09 PM
can you make the shout box font a little bigger just so it stands out and makes it a little easier to read

Chalex4
19th April 2010, 09:32 PM
The problem with the shoutbox right now is that when I change the font, a scrollbar appears. So, I'm trying to find the setting for the width of the display area.

This is the best shoutbox available for vbulletin4 right now, but I'm keeping a lookout :).

Paper Tiger
20th April 2010, 07:11 PM
I like the way it flows. There's no harsh divide between certain things, but it's separated by formatting (Menu is larger font and bold for example).

I, personally, quite like the background! Think it's pretty cool. But for those who don't like it, maybe give the option to have no background, or a solid colour?

I like the 'jump to page' option too! Big improvement! (This is where someone tells me it's always been there... XD)

At the bottom of the home page, under the ad, is it meant to say 'your ad here, right now: $0?

That's my comment so far. Shall add to/repost with new stuff as/when I find anything.

Overall: Nice =] Very nice!

Colonel Mitch
21st April 2010, 01:15 AM
Changed a few numbers to 1920 using operas inspect and debug feature and managed to make it do this pretty easily (tho i cant remember exactly what i changed).

If the background image didn't have the blue strip in the middle and there was a way of forcing this sjut for me id be very happy with it...

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t333/piers1989/ATKfullscreen.jpg

Colonel Mitch
21st April 2010, 01:22 AM
Haha, looks pretty awesome in portrait.

Sidenote: Mitch, any reason you're no using the latest Opera?

I am, i jsut have an opera 9 skin, coz i like it better.

Target
21st April 2010, 03:06 AM
Yeh the old Opera skin was much easier to use tbh but the new one is even schnellier yah?

Calneon
21st April 2010, 03:30 AM
Changed a few numbers to 1920 using operas inspect and debug feature and managed to make it do this pretty easily (tho i cant remember exactly what i changed).

If the background image didn't have the blue strip in the middle and there was a way of forcing this sjut for me id be very happy with it...

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t333/piers1989/ATKfullscreen.jpg
You still have all the excess space, it's just in the middle of the page and not on the outsides.

Chazlene
21st April 2010, 11:32 AM
Seriously Mitch, I don't see why you'd want the site to look like that, it looks shit because of all the extra space in the shoutbox and content will just be harder to read because it's above the edges of the background...

D_K_Head
21st April 2010, 12:25 PM
I'm with chaz... just zoom in, it's not difficult...

ez64
21st April 2010, 12:39 PM
Zooming in wrecks the site and makes it unusable, it must be possible for a forum option for widescreen I dont want the debate about it, its a fact people want it for many different reasons and was discussed at length eventually producing that option on many forums I visit.

Colonel Mitch
21st April 2010, 02:51 PM
Seriously Mitch, I don't see why you'd want the site to look like that, it looks shit because of all the extra space in the shoutbox and content will just be harder to read because it's above the edges of the background...

Its jsut my personal prefereance. i thiinkit looks great like that apart from the blue box which id be happy if wasnt there.

Mr.Big
21st April 2010, 03:45 PM
Give us the old one bakkk booo!!!! :S

VoX
21st April 2010, 04:16 PM
I am, i jsut have an opera 9 skin, coz i like it better.

Fair does, each to their own I suppose.