PDA

View Full Version : Want to make a game?

Calneon
28th April 2010, 03:42 PM
So I'm feeling pretty confident with Unity3D (http://unity3d.com/), the tool I've been using to make the game for my uni course. I think as a community we could team up to make a simple game we could call our own. We have a few options, a scrolling shooter or static shooter along the lines of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbaMTSV2zU0&feature=player_embedded), where the sprites are made by you guys. A 2D side scrolling platform game is also a possibility. If we have enough people willing to make some 3D models we could do a Serious Sam style 'survival' type shooter, or anything else that people can think of.

Another option would be a Source mod, a singleplayer mod like Combine Destiny or Minerva Metastasis. For that we'd need a good level designer (I know we have people here who have made levels in Hammer), a good story, and new guns/possibly enemies. The problem with this is that if our models aren't of a high standard they will stand out like a sore thumb compared to the HL2 models.

Even if you can only provide a few models or sprites that's great, we have to start small and build up.

Bloo
28th April 2010, 03:51 PM
Well, I'd be well up for this if I knew how to make sprites or models. But err, if you need a story writer for a source mod I could spin a yarn if you want. :p

VoX
28th April 2010, 04:06 PM
I'll gladly contribute with anything 2D wise, not really done textures before but may grab max and have a go (time permitting).

Darkpidgeon will most likely be able to do some mapping, I'll point him in this direction.

Darkpidgeon
28th April 2010, 04:40 PM
Yes, i would love to :) Was thinking of making a source mod/maps a while back, but with coursework and exams been pretty busy.
Personally id prefer the Source engine, mainly because i know the level editor pretty well, but it is a collective decision

Chazlene
28th April 2010, 04:57 PM
I think a source mod is a good idea, we won't have to start from scratch.

I haven't done it in a while but I can use Hammer, plus of course produce skins and textures we'll need.

Chalex4
28th April 2010, 07:09 PM
I can do voices :D. Haha. I might play around with hammer again as well, it'd be good to have more of a team there.

Other than that, I'll of course setup everything that we'll need site-wise. Stuff like a mod mini-site, bugtracker & download hosting can be done very easily. I'd try and keep it as integrated with the current ATK site as possible, so we'd just extend the ATK forums for the mod. Of course, I'd give our admin privilages to those that need it.

Darkpidgeon
28th April 2010, 09:54 PM
Oh one point when level designing, i find that working from concept art or some sort of drawn image works amazingly. so maybe having a few artie type people to create a few sketches maybe when we get to that stage, just a thought.

VoX
28th April 2010, 09:55 PM
*Looks at Chaz* haha.

Vicious Horizon
28th April 2010, 10:07 PM
Ohai guyz, thought I'd throw this thread out there, see if you remember what you said about it

http://www.atkcommunity.com/threads/2066-ATK-Mod.

Anyway - I'd gladly help in whatever way I can.

D_K_Head
29th April 2010, 11:24 AM
...Story. That could be interesting...

Hey, if anyone's interested in messing around with co-op (L4D style stuff), I have a few concepts based around that somewhere in my google docs... it might be a bad idea if no-one's familiar with it though.

Vicious Horizon
29th April 2010, 03:54 PM
As long as it isn't AoT co-op, Coop would be awesome.

VoX
29th April 2010, 04:12 PM
Ohai guyz, thought I'd throw this thread out there, see if you remember what you said about it

http://www.atkcommunity.com/threads/2066-ATK-Mod.

Anyway - I'd gladly help in whatever way I can.

No offence, but Phantom has a lot more experience and I'd rather work under him than someone with no experience other than voice work.

Keep any story ideas simple guys, anything multiplayer/Co-op is a bitch to do, singleplayer will be the easiest I reckon.

Calneon
29th April 2010, 04:27 PM
Indeed, if we do a source mod it would be singleplayer, basically a custom made map with some scripted events. I have basically no experience modding source except opening it up in VB and oggling at the amount of code there is.

Darkpidgeon
29th April 2010, 05:21 PM
Well if we are modding for source, thats pretty much my area when it comes to level designing, just it works well and easy to mod for
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SDK_Docs
That basically gives you an A-Z on most parts on the source enginr. like how to make custom objects, code, animations, particles etc. and get them working within the engine.

Calneon
29th April 2010, 05:39 PM
Well if we are modding for source, thats pretty much my area when it comes to level designing, just it works well and easy to mod for
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SDK_Docs
That basically gives you an A-Z on most parts on the source enginr. like how to make custom objects, code, animations, particles etc. and get them working within the engine.
That's what i'm doing now. How much do you know?

Darkpidgeon
29th April 2010, 05:58 PM
Well Hammer basically and a few other bits
Talk to me on steam sometime today, to avoid spamming this thread :D

D_K_Head
30th April 2010, 02:06 PM
Just out of curiosity, is anyone in ATK skilled with textures, or modeling?

Calneon
30th April 2010, 02:45 PM
Just out of curiosity, is anyone in ATK skilled with textures, or modeling?
I wouldn't say skilled, but I think a few people can make basic models, I know VoX, Chaz, me, ez64 can.

Bloo
30th April 2010, 03:04 PM
Perhaps have a meeting on mumble to bounce mod ideas and stuff around at some point?

VoX
30th April 2010, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I can whack out a few basic models if needed, will learn texturing as well, need to get Max again though.

Mumble meeting sounds good.

Spoke to Phantom about music for it all yesterday, mate has started composing stuff based around the horror theme today, I'll get him to mix it down to a .wav and I'll post it up for all to listen when it gets to a stage we are happy with. He's also going to work on a few leitmotifs for characters when we have a basic idea panned out.

Isphera
30th April 2010, 05:24 PM
I'm no good with the programming side, but I'd be willing to provide my voice talent to the game, as well as review and critique any ideas and alpha/beta tests you have.

Darkpidgeon
30th April 2010, 05:32 PM
yh we shall defo do a mumble meeting sometime today maybe?

Calneon
30th April 2010, 07:13 PM
I'm back from uni until tuesday, so I can't do anything creative but I can participate in a mumble discussion definitely. I think we've decided on a horror theme, so I suggest people interested download the Korsakovia HL2 mod because that does it well. People who can't model/code can start designing levels (sketches, ideas for traps/puzzles), different enemies and sketch them, and the plot, maybe a backstory. Oric, I think it would be great to have a sort of narrator through the game, you could definitely do the voice acting for that.

A mumble meeting tomorrow would be good, I'm planning to have a family night in though so some time in the afternoon would suit best.

Bloo
30th April 2010, 08:38 PM
Hmm, a narrator with a horror setting just seems weird if you ask me. To do horror it's much better when the player -doesn't- know what the fuck is going on, rather than knowing. But err, aside from that. Mumble meeting, some time tomorrow afternoon, say 3-4pm? Gives people ample time to get up. :p

Calneon
30th April 2010, 08:42 PM
Hmm, a narrator with a horror setting just seems weird if you ask me. To do horror it's much better when the player -doesn't- know what the fuck is going on, rather than knowing. But err, aside from that. Mumble meeting, some time tomorrow afternoon, say 3-4pm? Gives people ample time to get up. :p
The idea with the narrator is to do exactly what you described, to make the player think they know what's going on and then throw it in his face. Or you just use it to fuck with his mind.

VoX
30th April 2010, 09:01 PM
I could do a meting around 3 ish, going out at 5 and won't be back until Sunday afternoon =/.