PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty: Black Ops

Chalex4
1st May 2010, 02:37 AM
That's right, the next CoD has already been announced!

According to the original story that revealed the Black Ops name, the Treyarch-developed game will be set throughout the Cold War, and will feature key battles from across the period.

It will reportedly heavily feature segments from the Vietnam conflict - and culminate in the famous 1980 storming of the Iranian Embassy in London by the SAS.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=244899?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Of course, Treyarch will be developing it this time rather than the Infinity Ward team. I just hope that this will be worth of the Call of Duty name.

Colonel Mitch
1st May 2010, 10:41 AM
I take it cold war is significantly in the past (i hate history) in which case i will not be buying this.

hate shooters set in the past.

Trigger
1st May 2010, 10:57 AM
I take it cold war is significantly in the past (i hate history) in which case i will not be buying this.

hate shooters set in the past.

1945 onwards aint hundreds of years ago, its modern history.

Plus im slightly horrified that you dont know what the cold war is (Though im sure most of you would say the same about my IT knowledge)

Anyway, i probably wont be getting it, bored of the same old shooters now. Just find them too repetitive.

Colonel Mitch
1st May 2010, 11:26 AM
1945 onwards aint hundreds of years ago, its modern history.

Plus im slightly horrified that you dont know what the cold war is (Though im sure most of you would say the same about my IT knowledge)

Anyway, i probably wont be getting it, bored of the same old shooters now. Just find them too repetitive.

i no that teh cold wa wasa war in america some tme ago. but old history fighting i just dont enjoy games like that.

VoX
1st May 2010, 11:37 AM
CoD franchise needs to die tbh, and my opinion will stay that way unless this is VERY good.

Chazlene
1st May 2010, 12:06 PM
Lol doubt it'll be historically accurate at all... the SAS outnumbered the terrorists during the Iranian Embassy seige, I can't see the developers sticking to that somehow...

And Mitch, it appears the game will be set roughly from 1960 - 1990, assault rifles existed then so the combat will be very similar to any modern day FPS...

Calneon
1st May 2010, 12:29 PM
i no that teh cold wa wasa war in america some tme ago. but old history fighting i just dont enjoy games like that.
Are you thinking of the Civil War? Can't believe you don't know what the Cold War is lol. Anyway, it's being published by Activision therefore I won't buy it.

EDIT: Trailer (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-call-of/64933), from what you can see through the explosions and camera shaking it looks exactly the same as the last 3 CoD games. I wouldn't be surprised if Treyarch brings back vehicles in the form of helicopters or something.

Bloo
1st May 2010, 01:04 PM

No seriously, I'm genuinely frightened you don't know anything about the Cold War, Korea, Vietnam, Red Scare... ringing any bells? How about Soviet Russia?

ez64
1st May 2010, 01:23 PM
:O

Colonel Mitch
1st May 2010, 01:58 PM
history just doesnt interest me.

you cant keep living in the past ^^

Chazlene
1st May 2010, 02:28 PM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Ahem...

Calneon
1st May 2010, 02:53 PM
history just doesnt interest me.

you cant keep living in the past ^^
That doesn't mean you shouldn't have at least a basic knowledge of what's happened. Imagine somebody asks you a question about the Cold War and you say 'I don't know what that is', they're gonna dismiss you pretty quickly lol.

ez64
1st May 2010, 03:58 PM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Ahem...

So true every time I go to the pub I cannot remember it and I always go back.
:D

Target
1st May 2010, 11:15 PM
@ Mitch epic fail cake, unless this game is amazing I'll be waiting for BF3 :D Although if this has dedi support and people start playing it them it might be purchased.

Trailer doesn't look too bad but can't really tell :s

Colonel Mitch
2nd May 2010, 10:37 PM
Just /hate history thats all lol

Target
17th May 2010, 01:40 AM
Yay, its will have dedi support http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/108/1089672p1.html
Also full trailer is out on teh 18th, preview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcX7WJGRZYs

Target
19th May 2010, 03:51 PM
Full trailer out yesterday http://www.callofduty.com/blackops?path=blackops
Looks pretty good and rumours that there will be a beta as there was for WaW

Chazlene
20th May 2010, 10:40 AM
Look at the name on the right:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4620082507_39b6bb1d98_b.jpg

I think we can guess now what Black Op's controversial level will be.

Chalex4
20th May 2010, 01:39 PM
This game is actually starting to look pretty decent. I'll probably even buy it :D.

Calneon
20th May 2010, 01:56 PM
This game is actually starting to look pretty decent. I'll probably even buy it :D.
Just no...

Colonel Mitch
20th May 2010, 02:01 PM
Just no...

Agreed

Bloo
20th May 2010, 04:30 PM
Look at the name on the right:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4620082507_39b6bb1d98_b.jpg

I think we can guess now what Black Op's controversial level will be.

We'll get to re-enact the assassination of JFK? Nah it won't be that controversial all the right-wing elements of America will praise the death of that damn democrat liberal! Uhh.

I might buy if others do, coop campaign for the win.

Target
20th May 2010, 07:00 PM
Well I think we may be getting a beta + dedi servers + not console port = game might actually be good :D Will decide closer to the time when we actually know more about the game

kneticz
21st May 2010, 03:39 PM
Call of Duty: Black Ops will be getting dedicated servers, according to studio head Mark Lamia. This from the latest issue of PC Zone.

When asked if Call of Duty:Black Ops would have dedicated servers Lamia replied,

"I think dedicated servers are excellent. I don't see any reason not to see them unless... well, I just don't see any reason not to." "It seems people like them and we're excited about what we're doing right now."

"We do work very hard to reconcile the desire to manipulate and modify those dedicated servers with offering them the persistent experience and benefits that the console system provides."

"We're working very hard to marry those two things, so people can run dedicated servers and also participate in the communal experience the console players get to have, given they're all on first-party servers."

This is good news for all PC gamers out there.

Sounds like a step back-forward in the right direction, haven't been impressed with Treyarchs past work however.

USA Today has had a chance to talk with Treyarch studio head Mark Lamia and play through a demo level. The name of the level, "WMD," is set in 1968, during the height of the Cold War. In the level the player is using a scoped crossbow, and at one point they switch from a standard arrow tip on his crossbow to an explosive tip. The revels one of the franchise's new features: alternate ammo that can be changed on the fly. And you end the "WMD" level diving off a large cliff. Looks as if the pics below might be from that level.

http://images.gamersverse.com/misc/Call%20of%20Duty%20%20Black%20Ops%20%20%20Home.mp4 _snapshot_00.15_%5B2010.05.01_10.43.51%5D.12735776 24_t.jpg
http://images.gamersverse.com/misc/Call%20of%20Duty%20%20Black%20Ops%20%20%20Home.mp4 _snapshot_00.15_%5B2010.05.01_10.45.08%5D.12735776 24_t.jpg

They also reveal that the game will have a cooperative mode for two to four players and an online multiplayer mode. As for SP you will play as least two main characters in multiple covert international conflicts.

Chalex4
21st May 2010, 04:58 PM
Yeah I agree, bringing dedis back is a great idea. It really seems like TA have taken note of all the compaints last time, and made sure the community lapped this one up.

Calneon
21st May 2010, 05:13 PM
Yeah I agree, bringing dedis back is a great idea. It really seems like TA have taken note of all the compaints last time, and made sure the community lapped this one up.
Dedi's should be a requirement for any PC game. Just because they're now re-introducing them doesn't mean we should all fall in love with Treyarch. It's such a bogus trick, they take away what we want in MW2, then in the next game they give it all back and they seem like the good guys, when in fact they haven't done anything extra over CoD4, it's still regurgitated crap just a different setting with different models and story.

Bloo
21st May 2010, 05:47 PM
Dedi's should be a requirement for any PC game. Just because they're now re-introducing them doesn't mean we should all fall in love with Treyarch. It's such a bogus trick, they take away what we want in MW2, then in the next game they give it all back and they seem like the good guys, when in fact they haven't done anything extra over CoD4, it's still regurgitated crap just a different setting with different models and story.

I doubt many people think of them as good guys, but pc gamers may feel that they're at least being acknowledged and listened too. Plus MW2 did add quite a fair bit, nothing ground breaking but it is on a similar scale to what Valve added in L4D2 over LD41 (cue everyone now jumping to Valve's defences at being perfect).

VoX
21st May 2010, 09:41 PM
Valve are by no means perfect, I have still yet to complete all the L4D2 campaigns as it's no fun on your own and retardedly long trying to get on a server that's actually decent with others.

Bloo
22nd May 2010, 11:49 AM
Valve are by no means perfect, I have still yet to complete all the L4D2 campaigns as it's no fun on your own and retardedly long trying to get on a server that's actually decent with others.

Goddamnit VoX! Now you make me want to jump to Valve's defence.

Target
22nd May 2010, 09:06 PM
Don't flame Treyarch for actually listening and giving us what we want...obviously they jumped on it as a selling point but who cares it has DEDI !!!!! CoD5 which was made be treyarch was actually really good once they had released a few patches and there not like the money making whores at Activision and also they still need to produce a really good game otherwise more people are going to stop buying games that they make, they need this to be bigger than CoD4 so hopefully they'll have made the effort (ah rant over) :D

kneticz
23rd May 2010, 10:47 AM
Lets just hope they leave the vehicles and any gay ideas they come up with out of this, They need to make a solid game before adding anything new -.-

Colonel Mitch
23rd May 2010, 12:00 PM
+1

Target
6th November 2010, 10:02 PM
So who has pre-ordered Black Ops and who is considering purchasing it?
Also is anyone going to bother coming on mumble so we can play it? And chalex get us a ts3 ffs so much better than mumble and it doesn't make cod spaz out

Chazlene
6th November 2010, 10:08 PM
So who has pre-ordered Black Ops and who is considering purchasing it?
Also is anyone going to bother coming on mumble so we can play it? And chalex get us a ts3 ffs so much better than mumble and it doesn't make cod spaz out

Sort of want to get it but also sort of given up gaming for the time being :p Also I can't join mumble on my uni's internet so yerr...

Target
6th November 2010, 11:14 PM
This is why ts is required :D looks so much better aswell, I sort of thinking about getting it but might wait a few day see what people think of it

Chalex4
7th November 2010, 02:09 AM
Yeah I'm hoping this game will get me back on Mumble with you lot! I'll also see if I can get TS sorted.

Target
7th November 2010, 02:19 AM
Hmm think this will get ordered when I get back to uni tomorrow, at least I can wizz through the single player while there sorting out rules and mod for competitive play...also there is a 4 player co-op mode could be interesting and the zombie mode looks awesome :D

Bloo
7th November 2010, 04:40 AM
So I said "I'll order it when you guys give your verdict."

About 5 minutes later I pre-ordered it on steam. I have little self-control.

nikoli
7th November 2010, 11:07 AM
ima be Cuban and killing zombehs ^^

Calneon
7th November 2010, 05:52 PM
So I said "I'll order it when you guys give your verdict."

About 5 minutes later I pre-ordered it on steam. I have little self-control.
For £40? You know you can get it for £30 if you don't buy it on Steam?

Bloo
7th November 2010, 06:59 PM
For £40? You know you can get it for £30 if you don't buy it on Steam?

I get the convenience of not having to walk away from the computer screen at all, or rely on British post. And also can pre-load it. I don't mind the extra money from buying on Steam because I'm also paying for the service (even if it's just a greedy pricetag in reality).

Chazlene
7th November 2010, 08:58 PM
I get the convenience of not having to walk away from the computer screen at all, or rely on British post. And also can pre-load it. I don't mind the extra money from buying on Steam because I'm also paying for the service (even if it's just a greedy pricetag in reality).

Gahhh do I have the convenience of preloading or save £5 but most likely have to queue to get it?

Calneon
7th November 2010, 09:08 PM
It registers with Steam wherever you buy it.

It's £30 if you do this: http://savygamer.co.uk/2010/11/02/codblops-pc-29-99-2/

Bloo
7th November 2010, 10:26 PM
It registers with Steam wherever you buy it.

It's £30 if you do this: http://savygamer.co.uk/2010/11/02/codblops-pc-29-99-2/

Like I said, pre-loading, not having to rely on the postal service (who've so far proved crap in my area), not having to deal with stores which barely stock PC games nowadays. Of course you're own whinging because you don't like Black Ops or what it stands for.

That said IT IS mostly the pre-loading that sold me, monday night is usually crap and my only commitment on tuesday starts at 7pm. Play from unlock and I can have the campaign out of the way quickly enough.

Chazlene
7th November 2010, 10:54 PM
Hmmm yeah fuck it I'll just get it on Steam to save the hassle, I earned £40 this weekend anyway when I originally thought I wouldn't :p

Calneon
7th November 2010, 11:33 PM
Your choice what you do with your money.

Chalex4
8th November 2010, 11:03 PM
I just grabbed it off Steam too. I just can't be asked moving to a shop to search it out. It was literally 2 clicks as well!

Now downloading SP at 1.9MB/s and MP at 1.2MB/s :D.

Calneon
9th November 2010, 12:36 AM
I just grabbed it off Steam too. I just can't be asked moving to a shop to search it out. It was literally 2 clicks as well!

I didn't think you played games.

Chazlene
9th November 2010, 01:05 AM

Hahahaha FUCK YOU for once my internet is better than yours :p

Calneon
9th November 2010, 02:45 PM
How are you all enjoying your lag fest? xD

Colonel Mitch
9th November 2010, 04:19 PM
How are you all enjoying your lag fest? xD

Game seems ok, dont really like it as much as MW2 as of yet tbh but only played a hour or so.

As for the lag / reg etc, its fine apart from i occasionally get spikes where it locks up then a second later i appear somewhere else.

Chalex4
10th November 2010, 12:30 AM
Hahahaha FUCK YOU for once my internet is better than yours :p

Haha nice! I'm having to pay for mine this year so I'm being a little cheap by not getting the 50Mb virgin lol.

Halls was just epic last year though. Using FTP maxed out the 100mbit line pretty much :P.

Oh yeah, and singleplayer is pretty cool. Just starting the Vietnam mission. Loving it all! Can't wait for MP.

Calneon
10th November 2010, 06:00 PM
What do people think then?

nikoli
11th November 2010, 12:15 AM
its amazing ^^.

Chalex4
11th November 2010, 01:07 AM
It's funny how loads of people with new PCs seem to be having issues running this game, as it's all smooth as butter on mine.

I've completed the SP, and thought it was rather fun. I enjoyed the different storytelling manner and the missions were tight. There is a lovely range of guns as always, and a tonne of cool cinematics. Felt just like a film for a lot of it. Lots of badass moments were had :D.

The only disappointing area was that there isn't a whole lot of free roaming you can do. I also just wish things were a little less scripted, and that the story could go 2 ways, depending on your actions. The helicopter stuff was also waaayyyyy too dumbed down for PC. It seemed to auto adjust the height for you depending on whether you want to go "forwards" or "backwards". Pretty shit imo. Can understand why console player would appreciate that though.

Multiplayer is good, although I've only played about an hour of it. I like the method of unlocking stuff, as now I can choose what I know I'll want! Not tried multiplayer zombie mode yet :p.

Bloo
11th November 2010, 05:27 PM
I've completed the SP, and thought it was rather fun. I enjoyed the different storytelling manner and the missions were tight. There is a lovely range of guns as always, and a tonne of cool cinematics. Felt just like a film for a lot of it. Lots of badass moments were had :D.

The only disappointing area was that there isn't a whole lot of free roaming you can do. I also just wish things were a little less scripted, and that the story could go 2 ways, depending on your actions.

You want a tight cinematic experience as well as a free roaming choice-based one? They don't exactly go hand in hand...

But yeah, I enjoyed the SP, and really want to have a go at the Pentagon zombie level. My only problem with the singleplayer was that I didn't... really care about any of the characters. Except maybe your mate in the Arctic Circle mission (though that's just one scene more than anything), and I had trouble to begin with in telling some of them a part. The mystery side of the plot was cool (though you can work out most of it by the Pentagon briefing, or at least, I did).

As for MP, I'm waiting until the lag-bug thing dies down, because I'm crap enough at these games without massive bugs like that.

Calneon
11th November 2010, 07:12 PM
If you want any sort of choice or freedom when you play a game, CoD is not a series you're going to like :P.

Target
12th November 2010, 02:53 AM
Have only played it on mitches pc for about 20min and thought it was good except the lag spikes, played the campaign on flat mates ps3 and thought it was pretty epic, liking the combo's of weapons, and when has a fps single not been linear story, that pushes you towards set objectives! Chalex go play Fallout if you want to wander around.
Psu died and my router is being gay so until I get this fixed I won't be on soon :s unless someone has a psu spare that could be posted to moi would muchos muchos appreciated :D

Koopaman45
30th March 2011, 11:18 PM
Its not as addicting as previous titles, however it it more more balanced, except maybe the AK74u.