PDA

View Full Version : Radio Revival Wanted

Isphera
21st May 2010, 03:02 PM
OK, I'm bored, sick and tired of not having anything to do other than revision and FM10 at the moment. And quite frankly, I miss the old radio (which I practically hogged when we did have it). I know that I'm not the only one feeling like this.

So I've just spend the last 15 mins looking up what we need to license our radio back up. My the looks of things we would need two things;

A Limited Online Music Licence from PRS - We would need the Limited download/on demand streaming service, which allows us to 'stream specific tracks on an on demand basis', i.e Requests. This is £107 per annum, and allows us 45000 streams in the 12 month period. Owing to how popular it was before, 45000 should more than enough.

A Webcaster Licence from PPL. The fee for this isn't as clear cut (poorly laid out website), but this explains the differences between the two - http://www.ppluk.com/Documents/Information%20Leaflets/PPL%20Webcaster%20Licence%20-%20Small%20Webcaster%20FAQ%20%20Fees%202010.pdf.

Now for the main problem - cost. If enough interest can be garnered in terms of getting people to use it, as well as listen, we are willing to come toghther to sort out what we need in terms of licencing and programs, along with getting the setting setup for streaming (Chalex....), then I am very prepared to pay a majority of the fees. Seeing as I was the one that used it the most before, and will likely do so again, it seems fair that I be the one to pay the most. But, this would likely come with a stipulation that I be allowed freer reign in terms of scheduling and what I can play.

Lemme know what you guys can think.

EDIT - If no-one is interested in doing this, then I may run a solo show from here - http://servers.internet-radio.org.uk/features/

D_K_Head
21st May 2010, 04:08 PM
I'm perfectly willing to do a little talking with a few servers, see if we can get it streamed live (simple !Radio script isn't that hard to do in Source), and I'd enjoy joining in and DJing for a while... BUT I can't contribute anything but my voice and support at the moment, due to the fact that I can barely afford games at the moment, and I'm getting close to the point where I have to upgrade.

Also: AC/DC are awesome. That is all.

Isphera
21st May 2010, 04:10 PM
I've getting a playlist sorted for my first show already :D. I think most of you can guess the first band I'm playing, but after that, I'm game for requests.

Both licences together combine to about £300/year, and this does set a limit of 270000 sound performances (song stream per person, i.e I play one song to 5 people listening, thats 5 performances). Costs on bandwidth I need Chalex to bring up

Chalex4
21st May 2010, 04:39 PM
This would be EXPENSIVE! Not to mention time consuming. Someone would have to create reports of all the songs that we play, and where the stream is listened to from. Costs would be about £300/year for licencing as Oric said.

To stream at 128Kbps for every hour of the day all month, it'd be 41GB worth of data transferred (57MB/hour). Even doing half a month's steaming that would mean we transfer 20GB which is £10/month. So that's well over £400/year for the costs.

You'd pay and do all that? Personally, I don't think this is worth it for ATK unless at least 4/5 people want to commit to this and help majorly with the costs.

If THAT is the case, then I'd remove the BC2 server to help with this venture.

D_K_Head
21st May 2010, 04:45 PM
...I don't think the BC2 server's helping much... half the time we can't get on it, and when we can, it's empty... And I doubt anyone's visited the site because of it...

Servers should have a purpose, you know? Competative play, fun nights, machinima... Then again, I can see radio becoming boring when it turns out we're broadcasting to about five people at peak...

Depends on what benifits the community as a whole

Isphera
21st May 2010, 05:10 PM
I'd be willing to put at least £200 (maybe a bit more) towards it, but I would want a significant say in how a schedule worked, and get first selection of slots (within moderation ofc).

The schedule I had in mind would be two one-hour show slots from 8-10pm on Mon-Thurs, 5 hours from 7-12 midnight on Friday and Saturday, and 8-11 on Sun. It wouldn't be all day because demand wouldn't be there, and we would be somewhat restricted on the number song 'performances' by the licence. Naturally, if the times need to be altered due to demand, then we can, but I don't recommend doing shows during the day, even in summer time.

Back on the slot selection, expect a 2-hour DJ MC show on Fri and Sat :D

Chalex4
21st May 2010, 05:32 PM
Alright, well what we need to do is get all the other slots filled in first. There's no point getting it all setup then worrying about scheduling.

I suggest something like "ATK Radio:: 7pm-midnight (Mon-Thurs), 6pm-1am (Friday-Sun)".

Can everyone say which slots they would like and I'm sure Oric can draw up some kind of timetable. I want to see how well this would work.

Isphera
21st May 2010, 05:38 PM
Your setup seems more logical Chalex, so we can run with that. In terms of the show, have a brief idea what you wanna do with it (ie. How much music, what you wanna discuss between each song, and what type of music you'll play, or will you try to fit all genres in at once.) With a one hour show, you could probs get away with one subtype, but for a two hour show, your gonna need to vary it up a bit (which means my weekend shows will not all be BB/TDG/Chevelle lovefests). A new music show would be pretty sweet as well.

In terms of slots, I'd be interested in doing 8-10pm on Fri and Saturday, and possibly a one hour show during the week (depends on demand). Post in here what slots you want and i'll figure it out. Have a couple in mind, so if there is conflict over some slots, we can move people around.

D_K_Head
21st May 2010, 06:30 PM
I'd be able to take mondays, since I'm not up to much in the afternoons then, so...

Vicious Horizon
21st May 2010, 07:06 PM
More than happy to chip in... but i'm skint right now :S

But I'd be more than interested in hosting a show, I can do 3-4pm on a Wednesday, and weekends I'm good - after exams I'm free pretty much whenever

Isphera
21st May 2010, 07:17 PM
Just as an aside, you don't have to feel obliged to contribute in order to be a DJ, but I would prefer it if you did donate some to it, even it was a couple a quid. So even if you are poor as an ugly hooker with a crack addiction, feel free to say you would like a slot, cause this is a community thing. That said, if it comes between choosing a donor and a non-donor for a slot, pref has to be shown to the donor.

Colonel Mitch
21st May 2010, 07:58 PM
Id like to make clear im not trying to put a downer on this at all as it sounds like fun, but who do you expect to listen / how are you going to get them too?

Isphera
21st May 2010, 08:08 PM
It's a fair point. But this community is really lacking something to keep people here. With the radio back up and with some decent DJ's, people will keep coming back. If we get the word out on other forums and on games, and we get people here, we can use the radio as a cornerstone to rebuilding the community. It'll be lackluster in numbers to start with, but hopefully, quickly, we can get a load of listeners. Bear in mind though that the more listeners we have, the quicker we get through the performance quota, and the sooner we have to upgrade the licence to the £900 one.

Plus with FragFM going down the bender, there's a lack of decent UK Gaming Radio. Maybe we should get ahold of some of the ex-DJ's there and see if they wanna come aboard?

Colonel Mitch
21st May 2010, 09:17 PM
It's a fair point. But this community is really lacking something to keep people here. With the radio back up and with some decent DJ's, people will keep coming back. If we get the word out on other forums and on games, and we get people here, we can use the radio as a cornerstone to rebuilding the community. It'll be lackluster in numbers to start with, but hopefully, quickly, we can get a load of listeners. Bear in mind though that the more listeners we have, the quicker we get through the performance quota, and the sooner we have to upgrade the licence to the £900 one.
Plus with FragFM going down the bender, there's a lack of decent UK Gaming Radio. Maybe we should get ahold of some of the ex-DJ's there and see if they wanna come aboard?

I wasnt making a point so much as asking the question genuinley.

I no u can put radios into servers and offer it around but i cant see alot of people taking it up from that.

Also GamerFM is out there and licensed, one of the people im bringing to i40 (if all goes to plan) is a manager for GamerFM and has an exhibitors pass.

have never listened myself to them i generally wither dont want to listen to music while gaming or i play my own from media player.

I think I'd like to do a show if this was set up, and if it actually had any number of regular listeners id put something towards it - that said to be honest i cant see it being successful.

VoX
21st May 2010, 09:43 PM
I'd do a bit here and there gladly :)

Vicious Horizon
22nd May 2010, 10:14 AM
I can donate £20 next month when some money goes into my account, but as I'm not working atm, I only get £25 a month >.<

- But yeah, I'd love to DJ, was something I really wanted to do last time around.

On the point (or question, as Mitch pointed out) of getting people to listen - having "UK Gaming Radio" in the title of the page, and having it flagged by search engines would get us a fair few listeners to begin with, we could put a streaming thing on our gaming servers so people could listen while they play if they so chose, we could ask other people if they wanted to add the service onto their server.

Also, I *may* be able to convince some of my ArmA II platoon to do a bit of DJ'ing and other helpful things, but nout is confirmed.

Chalex4
22nd May 2010, 02:04 PM
I think you should all stop relying on people listening via game servers. Our only popular server is the BC2 one and not only can we not integrate the radio into that, but we'd have to cancel it to pay for the radio. Our other TF2 servers etc just aren't maintained regularly enough to be popular. As for getting other people to add it to their servers....that's a long way off.

The ONLY way people will listen is if WE all listen to everything, and tell all our friends about it. And we know how hard that is from previous experience.

Isphera
22nd May 2010, 08:27 PM
Yeah, the record peak for ATK Radio Mk. 1 was 14 - and I know that by heart because I set it :D

Vicious Horizon
22nd May 2010, 08:49 PM
I would be an optimist and say "Well, at least we made those 14 people happy... I would be honoured to do that once more" - But I'm not an optimist, so lets get some fucking advertising out there and do this shit.

Oorah Marines?

D_K_Head
22nd May 2010, 10:13 PM
I would be an optimist and say "Well, at least we made those 14 people happy... I would be honoured to do that once more" - But I'm not an optimist, so lets get some fucking advertising out there and do this shit.

Oorah Marines?

Fuck your american ways. He Who Dares.

Target
22nd May 2010, 10:33 PM
This is pointless, the main reason ppl is never online....

Vicious Horizon
23rd May 2010, 01:22 PM
This is pointless, the main reason is ever online....

I really should sig that, but it would make me look as illiterate as that sentence was.

Colonel Mitch
23rd May 2010, 02:21 PM
I really should sig that, but it would make me look as illiterate as that sentence was.

This is pointless, the main reason is ever online....

Thats SO lol. Chris is with me and was jsut like lolwtf

Target
23rd May 2010, 02:21 PM
I just missed the word ppl out that is all :S

D_K_Head
23rd May 2010, 03:05 PM
..."ppl" isn't a word...

Bloo
23rd May 2010, 03:09 PM
I assume you mean people are never online. Unless ppl is a single person/entity/thing?

Chalex4
23rd May 2010, 06:08 PM
With noone apart from VH wanting to help out, I'm not sure this is a viable option Oric. Also, thinking back on when we did have this, you were the only one that took it seriously.

We'd need everyone to take this seriously for it to ever work and get a steady stream of listeners. I can't see that happening.

Target
23rd May 2010, 09:17 PM
It would eat too much into chalex's pc fund :D

@ dk putting ... at the start and end of a sentence isn't proper grammar

Calneon
23rd May 2010, 10:02 PM
It would eat too much into chalex's pc fund :D

@ dk putting ... at the start and end of a sentence isn't proper grammar
He always does that, it's really annoying...

D_K_Head
24th May 2010, 11:45 AM
I like to think that it mimics my actual speech, which is often fragmented. If I didn't add any punctuation in, it would seem rushed, and almost as unreadable as targ's chat...

...Plus, I like my ellipsis sprees... They space out my text nicely...

Vicious Horizon
24th May 2010, 02:46 PM
..... hi ......

D_K_Head
24th May 2010, 05:33 PM
see? VH understands!

Bloo
25th May 2010, 01:03 AM
Or it might have been a sarcastic comment...

Vicious Horizon
25th May 2010, 08:35 AM
...Or was it?

Bloo
25th May 2010, 11:17 AM
Pretty sure you were being sarcastic VH, or at least, it seemed that way...

Calneon
25th May 2010, 12:23 PM
This thread has been derailed...

kneticz
25th May 2010, 12:37 PM

As piers said GamerFM is quite popular, All the UKCS Servers have the radio set to it.

Vicious Horizon
25th May 2010, 01:50 PM
...But can ATK match GamerFM's success? I'm not so sure....

Grant
1st June 2010, 04:10 AM
I've actually been watching a lot of Community sites & ATK caught my eye when i seen this thread :D

I am indeed this person Piers speaks of & i'd be more than willing to discuss whether or not you guys want to enable GamerFM to your server(s) :)

Rather than emailing me, just post your queries here & i'll check back :cool:

Grant

Isphera
1st June 2010, 09:46 AM
OPEN LETTER TO GRANT

Hey Grant,

I know there is a thread specifically for it, but I would like to welcome you to the community, and I hope you enjoy it here.

As you may have gathered from reading the thread, I am very interested in becoming a online radio DJ again, hence why I proposed the idea for an ATK Radio which has unfortunately been seen as unsustainable due to a lack of support. However, my desire to start up as a DJ again is very strong, and I am still looking for an opportunity to again run a show of some sort. Therefore, I would like to ask (if somewhat cheekily), if you would be willing to consider me as a possible candidate for a new show on GamerFM.

'But Oric', I hear you, and possibly everyone else saying, 'why should I give you, an unknown entity, a chance on the well established, most reputable station around?'. And that's a very good point. And I can sum it up in six phrases: desire, experience and willingness to perform. As mentioned above, I am very keen to re-enter the world of online DJ'ing, and develop a good show property. I am also hopeful that I can still learn some things from the more expereinced DJ on the service.

Secondly, experience. This one will likely appease those who like there DJ's long toothed, but I have a wealth of experience that would make some professional radio DJ's blush. As mentioned above, I was a DJ on the first incarnation of ATK Radio, where I held a daily show of around 2 hours a piece, mainly consisting of music and some gaming discussion. Sometimes during school holidays and weekends (I was still at secondary at the time), the show length would be longer. I have a very intimate knowledge with SAM Broadcaster and I also held the listenership record for the station.....yes, it was 14, but it was the record nonetheless :D.

I was also part of a sports talk radio show in a major US radio market several times in April 2010. I had been a fan of the stations (KFAN AM 1130 Minneapolis) programming for some time, and was in contact with some of the personalities. When I headed out there on a 3 week trip, one of the shows, The Power Trip Morning Show, invited me onto the show on three separate occasions to talk sports, news and other random banter, This show is often listened to at least 75,000 people live across the US, and is also podcast later to be available to the rest of the world and to the US as an 'on-demand' service. Before the first show, the other two were not guaranteed to happen, so I believe it speaks to my quality of radio performance that I was invited back. Of course, they could have also had me back because it was pretty novel to have a Brit in the studio, but I'll choose to believe the former :D. As I said before, these shows are podcastable and I can find you out the links to listen if you would so desire.

Finally, willingness to perform. I am very keen in making this potential partnership work, as it is an area I possibly would like to explore as a professional career after my main working career has been completed. It's something that appeals to me greatly, and has interested me for some time. In order to make anything happen in the world, you need potential AND experience, not just the potential of grades and the such. By allowing me to join the GamerFM team, I hope to gain more experience as a host and provide your listeners with a fun show whenever I am able to.

Now the crucial stats part, since there is little point of putting someone with 10 songs and a taste for Soviet Choir music on a Texas country station. First off, my music taste could best be described as a spectrum between alt. rock and heavy metal, with a lot of post-grunge stuff in between. I'm not a big fan of screamo music, but assuming your program has requests, if I have the song, I would be more than willing to play it. But herein lies my weakness - I absolutely detest 99% of Rap Music. Dance stuff I can live with sometimes, but nearly all rap music needs to burn (hence why I added it to the Hall of Lame list in the respective thread on the forum). That said, I believe that if so required, I would be able to diversify and had major rap names to my library.

On that topic, theres my number, which is well over 7000, and grows a lot every week. I am a complete audiophile and collector. If I like a song or two from a band, I'll buy their discography, even if those two songs are the only good ones. As a result, my collection also include some rarities, live stuff and the odd bootleg recording (which I know I'm not allowed to play). My other pressing disadvantages are that I currently have a computer failure in the process of being fixed, so I'm stuck on a laptop with no means of recording, so I would not be able to start until that is fixed (hopefully soon). Also, I am currently taking exams to secure a place at Warwick University for this upcoming academic year, so if the PC was to be fixed before the last exam, 22nd June, then that would have to wait until then.

However, beyond the 22nd June, I have an empty calender and would be able to do as many shows as desired and required

If you would like to discuss this further, send me a forum PM or feel free to e-mail me at: BrokenMC73 ?<at>? gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Marcus Cross
(Oricalcos)

Vicious Horizon
1st June 2010, 11:38 AM
I can see it now:

tl;dr

- Haha, just kidding, but that's a really well written and thought out letter there Oric, and I can vouch as a reference if needed, Oric's show was fairly good and he's definately not scared in the public radio.. 'eye'.

Grant
1st June 2010, 02:28 PM
We're currently not taking anymore DJs on HOWEVER, leave that with me & i should be able to sort it. I'm not actually the Staff Manager who deals with applications as such - my job is to go around the communities & to get them on-board really, so can i ask - In exchange for a DJ Position, would you be willing to put GamerFM onto all Source Servers you have at the moment (TF2, CS:S, DoD,), we're working on more games at the moment & i believe we're also working on a Call of Duty plugin.

But yeah leave that with me Oric, should be fine :awe:

Isphera
1st June 2010, 05:55 PM
As is your case with Staff, I am not in control of the servers. I'm looking at Chalex and/or Phant to respond here?

VoX
1st June 2010, 08:20 PM
As is your case with Staff, I am not in control of the servers. I'm looking at Chalex and/or Phant to respond here?

I've recently sorted all the server (as in last 2 days, fully updated and got working with any mods and relevant map rotations etc etc) and I see no objection to putting GamerFM on the servers providing it's not a massive download, won't cause the server to assplode (Or interfere with any current mods/plugins) and that INX don't have any policies against this.

However it's ultimately Chalex's decision.

Grant
1st June 2010, 08:36 PM
No it's a pretty small plugin that's easy to install & can be found Here (http://www.gamerfm.co.uk/install)

I'll let the developers know that we're on their servers so that we can possibly code you a proper radio page like UKCS's, http://radio.ukcs.net/

However for the time being your requests & shoutouts etc will just get sent to our request page which is fine, but i prefer UKCS's radio page :D

DJ Feedback would be good aswell should you get the time to listen :)

Grant
5th June 2010, 03:17 AM
Just to let you know that i've been recently promoted from Marketing Manager to Staff Manager

I'll still be dealing with the gaming communities so therefore if you have any queries, you can easily ask me but also I now deal with the staff therefore if you'd like to be given the chance of becoming a DJ for GamerFM you can apply over on our forums.

I'd like to add that experience is required or if your willing to learn to become a DJ - you'll be given advice on how to improve your shows & what not.

The selection process is being reviewed by myself at the moment however if your interested, let me know & i'll see what i can do.

Isphera
5th June 2010, 08:06 AM
Congrats on your promotion. I'm just filling out the application now - apologies for it taking me this long, but exam prep and some other important work stuff came out of nowhere. I look forward to hearing back from you, as well as the prospect of working with you in the near future.