PDA

View Full Version : Making a Dragon Age mod

Calneon
7th June 2010, 03:37 PM
I know I made the 'Let's make a game' thread a while ago, I think this would be a good project for us because the Dragon Age toolset isn't too hard, and everyone can contribute rather easily. I think most people here have Dragon Age, if you don't, buy it because it's awesome, and then you can help us make the mod :).

I started learning the toolset a few days ago by following these tutorials by SilentCid (http://www.silentcid.com/main/index.php). They give you a brief introduction into how to make a quest, and add it to the official campaign. Today I've been working on an actual level for the mod, made in the level editor, which is the temple entrance on the side of a mountain. The Wiki (http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/index.php/Main_Page) isn't laid out very well and is hard to follow, but there is useful information to be had there.

My plan to start with is a dungeon set in the side of a mountain in the Frostback Mountains. The dungeon will be high level (so a level 15-20 character is recommended), and will feature a quest to slay the various bosses in the temple/dungeon and attain a unique sword/shield/greatsword/whatever. What I need:

- Lore. Somebody here should be able to write up about the background of the temple, who the bosses are (with names), why they are there, what the unique weapons are (weapons from fallen gods etc).
- Voice actors. There will be a quest giver outside the temple warning the player about what is inside, and a brief description of what the temple is. Perhaps he is the guardian of the temple, and he refuses to let you enter so you have to kill him. Other bosses might say things before you kill them. I'm sure some of you would be able to do this.
- Level designers. I've talked to DP and he said he'd check it out after his exams, otherwise I'll actually make the levels, but it would be cool if somebody could sketch up various layouts for the temple.

That's about it, who's interested?

Vicious Horizon
7th June 2010, 04:01 PM
I'll do some level design, possibly some voice acting.

By level design, I mean sketching up layouts etc.

D_K_Head
7th June 2010, 04:07 PM
Ohh, voice acting sounds fun.

Bloo
7th June 2010, 04:36 PM
I can do a lot of the lore, since uhh, well I know the lore they've written pretty well. Might have to reinstall the toolset but I've played around with bioware toolsets before so I know what's going on somewhat.

Calneon
7th June 2010, 04:37 PM
I can do a lot of the lore, since uhh, well I know the lore they've written pretty well. Might have to reinstall the toolset but I've played around with bioware toolsets before so I know what's going on somewhat.
You were the person who I though't would be up to doing the lore.

VoX
7th June 2010, 05:28 PM
I'll do what I can here and there, whilst being the link between us and the music guy hehe.

Vicious Horizon
7th June 2010, 05:52 PM
I haff ideas of the backstory to the dungeon thing or whatever, but I don't know much about DAO lore.

I'll have a chat with Bloo at some point.

Toasty-Sloth
7th June 2010, 06:02 PM
i <3 dragon age

i'll do voice acting :) sounds fun xD

Vicious Horizon
7th June 2010, 06:53 PM
My VA style is generally... A light, sharp tone, or a laid back, almost vin-diesel thing, just not quite.

I don't know what dungeons look like in DAO - if you give me an example or two I'll be able to imitate the general architecture and design.

ez64
7th June 2010, 07:15 PM
Claudia black doing voice casting may force me to play this game.

Vicious Horizon
7th June 2010, 07:16 PM
Claudia Black ftw.

Calneon
7th June 2010, 08:02 PM
Can you ask her?

Bloo
7th June 2010, 10:44 PM

Her character is pretty important in the plot as well.

Chalex4
7th June 2010, 11:47 PM
I'll take part wherever necessary :). Voice acting perhaps.

Calneon
11th June 2010, 08:21 PM
Bump! We now have our own forum and i've released the first version i've been working on. If you'd like access and want to help, post here or message me and i'll invite you to the group.

Isphera
11th June 2010, 09:53 PM
I said in the other thread that I'm more than willing to do voices. An invite to the forum would be nice.

Calneon
11th June 2010, 09:57 PM
I said in the other thread that I'm more than willing to do voices. An invite to the forum would be nice.
Go here: http://www.atkcommunity.com/profile.php?do=editusergroups