PDA

View Full Version : Competive Clan Establishment - Prelim Discussion

Isphera
28th June 2010, 02:17 PM
Continuing with my objective to help the community become more active within the wider gaming community, I am introducing the competitive side back to ATK. I will be doing this by establishing (and somewhat reviving the respective section) a team-based clan within the community.

When I made my initial plea for activity and changes, a majority of the community, to my dismay, acted with indifference, hostility and a seeming lack of enthusiasm. However, there were some amongst you that expressed an interest in returning to our individual game roots from BRS and early C2G. Therefore, I will follow up on this interest by allowing certain members to apply to become involved with the project.

However, this will NOT be an 'open house' project. Once the games that we wish to compete in are decided, try-outs will take place and those who earn their place on the team will be invited to participate (matches when possible and practices two times a week minimum) Those who do not meet the requirements of the appointed leaders (most likely not myself) will be rejected and will not be involved with that project. The leaders that will be appointed will be active within the community as a whole, dedicated to the goal of achieving competitive success, relatively skiled at the game, able to manage a team well and interested in expanding the project as a whole.

This isn't to say that if you fail to get into a team this time, that you can't be a part of a future expansion. My endgame goal for this is to have competitive teams set up for a multitude of games, even some with two teams as a reserve lineup. But to begin with, I will be looking to establish a team in at least one game, but two if there is enough interest.

And this is what I ask you to respond with now - do you have an interest in possibly being a part of this project? If so, I need the following from you, posted below:

Games that you would be interested in playing competitively
Possible names for the 'clan' (Whilst we will be affiliated with ATK, this will not be under the ATK name or mantra)
Time periods available for practice and matches
Are you interested in leading a team (which games) or simply being a team member?

Vicious Horizon
28th June 2010, 02:40 PM
I'm sure there's a market out there for Killing Floor competetive teams, (I'm sure there's a mutator that allows for two groups of 6 to try and survive competitively, and if not, I don't think it'd be hard to write)

And a TF2 team would be great, I'd happily do some organising for either.

Darkpidgeon
28th June 2010, 02:51 PM
Ok, I've been thinking of running a TF2 team outside of ATK with a few friends from school for a good month and a bit now, yet due to exams I have been delayed and busy at arranging things. With exams out of the way (since late last week) i was going to set up a TF2 team. But if everyone is in agreement I will make this team a "part of" ATK with me and DE in charge.

Yet with this way we will have the try-outs as Oric previously stated which I'm guessing community members will want to join, will go through this process.

Colonel Mitch
28th June 2010, 03:17 PM
Would be happy to play TF2 or CSS, or even CS 1.6 - tho the remaining clans on 1.6 tend to be LOL PRO.

Could possibly lead CSS but generally im better at taking orders than giving them.

Isphera
28th June 2010, 04:24 PM
I do recall discussing that with you DP before, and I would be happy to let you take charge of that team. We would thusly be looking for one more team of some sort. Judging by the communities roots and current playing patterns, I would suggest either a CSS team be created or a revival of the old BC2 team?

This post will be updated when more things get decided and interest is registered.

DP - TF2 Team Leader
Col. Mitch - TF2/CSS Team Player

Calneon
28th June 2010, 04:34 PM
I'll play for anything. Don't really want to lead though.

Target
28th June 2010, 05:07 PM
pfff css is for pro's :D Summet fun like l4D killing Floor or get BC2 sorted :D

Kacere
28th June 2010, 05:34 PM
Hey hey, Tf2 team sounds good to me. :D

Chazlene
28th June 2010, 06:02 PM
I can't be arsed leading or organising matches or anything, but I'll play in a Killing Floor team if it's somehow possible and in a Napoleon: Total War one, but yeah that aint happening. And names... why not stick with BRS? But make it stand for something different, 'British Rogue Squadron' sounds ridiculous and doesn't make much sense.

Vicious Horizon
28th June 2010, 06:29 PM
I say we should have a Killing Floor team. I can imagine it being ALOT of fun heavily organised on Suicidal/Long

Isphera
28th June 2010, 07:33 PM
Two names which were suggested (and likely will be the choice) was either for 'Commence Logic' or the latin word for logic, which temporarily escapes me. BRS did come up as well, and we will have a poll on it sometime next week.

Chalex4
28th June 2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks for going ahead on this Oricalcos, it'll be nice to have some competition back in the community.

I believe we already have a TF2 Team forum, but I'll give out mod rights once the leadership is decided. I'm also perfectly happy to sort out extra forums if need be.

Toasty-Sloth
28th June 2010, 10:40 PM
I definetly want to be in the tf2 team jacob was mentioning :) Also ill play in a CSS team (although i probs won't be good enough)

and ill be glad to try out :)

Bloo
28th June 2010, 11:07 PM
I can't be arsed leading or organising matches or anything, but I'll play in a Killing Floor team if it's somehow possible and in a Napoleon: Total War one, but yeah that aint happening. And names... why not stick with BRS? But make it stand for something different, 'British Rogue Squadron' sounds ridiculous and doesn't make much sense.

Someone changed their tune, it was because of you we had to shoehorn British into it! :p

Isphera
29th June 2010, 10:56 AM
In terms of the name, a revival of BRS and Commense Logic are the two frontrunners, and there will likely be a poll later this week (possibly tomorrow) to see which people like more, but if anyone has any more suggestions, post them up and we can add them to the vote (which will be multiple choice). Remember that we are looking for a relatively serious name that will be an umbrella name for all of our competitive teams. That doesn't mean it can't have some fun within it, but let's not make it 'Lol spazed out spack deck dance super general wackjob' silly.

@Chalex, in terms of the TF2 forum, Darkpidgeon and Darkeagle will be running it. I was aware several weeks before posting this that they were making arrangements to restart the team up, and as it was these guys who ran the team successfully last time, I have no hesitation in giving them the leadership to it. In terms of forum arrangement, I'll send you a PM as to what the formatting requirements will be.

Back to everyone, it would appear that CSS and Killing Floor are the most popular two teams for the other team. As with the name, a poll is likely, and if support emerges for another game (BC2....), then I am deffo open to adding it into the conversation.

Kacere
29th June 2010, 11:06 AM
I just thought I would throw another team name into consideration, "Scrp" which stands for the "sea cucumber resistance party". Feel free to disregard it if it isn't serious enough lol :D

Isphera
29th June 2010, 11:14 AM
Feel free to disregard it if it isn't serious enough lol

You said my response yourself :D. It's a good name if we were going for something like what WAGS and J@M was though :P

Chazlene
29th June 2010, 11:34 AM
Just remembered, a few weeks ago Setsoru and I came up with the name "Pro Bro's", any thoughts on that?

Isphera
29th June 2010, 11:40 AM
Me personally? Not that keen on it. It's in a similar vein to the WAGS sort of name. If people get behind it though, I won't complain too much. As it stands, although I initially suggested the BRS revival, I'm behind Commense Logic.

Marshy
29th June 2010, 11:58 AM
http://memegenerator.net/Chubby-Bubbles-Girl/ImageMacro/1373857/Chubby-Bubbles-Girl-religious-people-commence-logic.jpg

Yeh i would be happy for team try-outs and yeh i like commence logic, sounds win

Target
29th June 2010, 02:04 PM
OMG this sounds liek so fail and shiz - im a massive jew and wud rather get aids than play wiv u failcakes

Isphera
29th June 2010, 02:39 PM
I'm guessing this isn't Chris's actual opinion, seeing as his facebook status now reads that he likes hairy moobs.

Marshy
29th June 2010, 03:04 PM
I'm guessing this isn't Chris's actual opinion, seeing as his facebook status now reads that he likes hairy moobs.

No that's Chris just being Chris...
also VH said something about leader?

Vicious Horizon
29th June 2010, 04:01 PM
I believe it was you saying that I should be CSS team leader, Marshy. But I guess that's my Cue to come in. If anyone thinks it's a semi-decent idea but wants my leadership credentials, shout and thou shalt receive.

Setsoru
29th June 2010, 04:10 PM
Okay, this sounds promising, i don't mind joinging if its CSS, KF, TF2, i'll buy battlefield BC2 if enough people play it, and what about some rts games eh?

Time periods looks like Monday and Tuesday evenings, although after the 2nd, i'll have afternoons free too

I don' think i could give enough time to be a leader, that might change though, and it also depends if i'm gd enough or not hahahaha

Isphera
29th June 2010, 04:22 PM
RTS tournaments tend to revolve around 1v1 gameplay, but your more than welcome to enter them under the ATK or the new name. The only one that I can think of that isn't 1v1 is World In Conflict, but only I have that, and no-one else seems keen to buy it. This is why I haven't put them in as a possible selection. We may form a 'training group' for the better players of these games to hone skills against each other, and run small ladders, but nothing as well organised as a team at the moment.

Looks like DP/DE and the unappointed CS leader will have quite a pool to pick their team from.

Darkpidgeon
29th June 2010, 04:34 PM
Looks like DP/DE and the unappointed CS leader will have quite a pool to pick their team from.

Yep, anyone who's interested talk to me on steam sometime about the TF2 team, about classes etc, OR if the forum gets sorted I will make a thread there.

Vicious Horizon
29th June 2010, 04:37 PM
Thinking about it, I'd happily be the CSS team leader if anyone wants me to, I'm not the best sharpshooter anyone's ever met, but gimme a squad and a VOIP client and I can do my best to make magic; I've got a lot of experience of leading 5 to 15 member teams as a Sergeant 1iC (1st in Command) of 1st Section in an ArmA II Platoon; I led a small casual team on TF2 for a little while, before I left; and I used to lead the CS:S team of old at ATK, which no one was interested in, so I finally gave up after 3 sessions of only me turning up.

Dat'z Mai 2 sents.

If anyone is better suited to leading a CSS team that I, feel free to shout, as I'm not desparate to lead it.

Midge
29th June 2010, 05:57 PM
The thought of competitive gaming has brought me back, ill be up for the tryouts of css, tf2 im rusty on. ive got loadsa time spare at the moment with uni finished for the summer

Marshy
29th June 2010, 06:31 PM
Ohai midge, long time no see, i have had quite a few name changes so i dont think you will remember me, my name was Chalex 4 at one point

Can everyone respond if they fancy being clan leader with a simple, Yeh me!

VoX
29th June 2010, 06:43 PM
The thought of competitive gaming has brought me back, ill be up for the tryouts of css, tf2 im rusty on. ive got loadsa time spare at the moment with uni finished for the summer

Wow, who dug up your grave!? Haha, long time mate, catch me on steam at some point to catch up :)

Setsoru
30th June 2010, 09:18 AM
well i thought that as-well, but I own Company of hero's and Dow which can both be played with teams ;)

Isphera
30th June 2010, 02:35 PM
well i thought that as-well, but I own Company of hero's and Dow which can both be played with teams ;)

Bit ambiguous which post your replying to on this but I gather it's my RTS 1v1 only post. In future, would you mind quoting which post you replying to if it's not already in a direct chain.

CoH is run in a 2v2 format, but if I'm honest, I think it's pretty well known that our best team for that game is Phantom and Trigger, considering they won the i37 tournament. I don't know a lot about Dawn of War tournament, so any links to sites which run them would be appreciated. I said this before but I'll just say it again - I'm not opposed to having an RTS team under the banner (I actually want to form a WiC team, but no-one has it :( ), but it wouldn't get as much organisation as the main teams e.g. a forum.

Isphera
8th July 2010, 09:49 AM
Can we get a bit more feedback on this - we are still looking for the name as well as people willing to lead the second team (the game of which is still undecided, but likely to be either CSS, KF or BC2). Also, DP and DE - Can you compile a list of people that will tryout for the TF2 team, and arrange a night in the next week or so to get those tryouts going?