PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Clan Name Brainstorm Thread

Isphera
8th July 2010, 09:51 AM
OK, so Commense Logic or a BRS revival didn't cut the corn with you guys. So what ideas do you have for us to name our competitive gaming division? Try keeps posts to a minimum here:

e.g

Idea - Estus Imperator (not an idea)

Response - @Oric - Estus Imperator - what a crap idea.

Although be diplomatic about it :P Just as an aside, the latin name thing seems to be popular here, so see if you can stick with it.

Target
8th July 2010, 12:46 PM
Hows about lolcats....then are chant can be gooooooooo lolcats

Isphera
8th July 2010, 12:58 PM
Can't imagine that would be great - probably trademarked and I guess a load of tweener clans are called that as well.

Calneon
8th July 2010, 01:26 PM
I'm just going to come out and say this.

An ATK 'competitive gaming division' will never work.

Isphera
8th July 2010, 02:25 PM
Wow, confidence.....

Colonel Mitch
8th July 2010, 02:28 PM
To be fair in atks current state i agree with phantom. but it cant hurt to try

Calneon
8th July 2010, 02:41 PM
Wow, confidence.....
We've tried it before and people just don't have the conviction. By all means try it, I'll play for teams if they want me, but from my experience nobody here has the dedication to lead a proper team.

Isphera
8th July 2010, 03:09 PM
Now we have the pessimism out of the way, can people start sugg.....

um...how about Pessimism as the clan name?

Colonel Mitch
8th July 2010, 03:22 PM
how about "Novus Filiolus"

Lativ for new Gods

nikoli
8th July 2010, 03:28 PM
the human centipede's?
it rolls of the tongue ^^

Darkpidgeon
8th July 2010, 03:34 PM
So what you mean by dedication, so I have no dedication when I badger Vox to fix the servers when its not his job? Or when i bug Kacere to help populate the Tf2 server with me? Which we have done may i add for the previous few days and it has remained populated till the late evening, yet can't keep it alive after that due to lack of ATK people on their own server.

Yet I agree with you in terms of a lack of dedication from the community in general, yet why not have a go at it?

Sorry for the de-rail Oric, but when it comes to names I am just horrible.

D_K_Head
8th July 2010, 04:02 PM
I'm just going to come out and say this.

An ATK 'competitive gaming division' will never work.

I'm with phant here, I doubt it'd become very active. We're all either lazy, unorganised, or unconcerned with compet gaming to take it so seriously

(On a sidenote, I thought the BC2 team was going quite well before you and trig gave up)

Isphera
9th July 2010, 08:03 AM
Sorry for the de-rail Oric, but when it comes to names I am just horrible.

No worries, I wish it would have saved me from typing this, but it hasn't.

What is your fucking problem guys. If your not interested in being a part of the project, or giving a name for the idea, then fuck off and go post about how Blizzard putting real names in forums is the end of the world. In the past, projects like this have not been too successful due to lack of enthusiasm. However, I am so confident of success, that I will happily put every waking moment I have into improving teams, ensuring we have good servers and atomosphere to practice on, as well as good, competitive leagues to build up on. If your not interested in that, then that's fine, but please don't spam and ruin threads for those that do care and are actually trying to help this community become more populated, more active in spheres that are not WoW and more well-known in the wider gaming community.

I don't care if you just wanna post here for the lols or you genuinly don't like the project, but we don't need it - so go somewhere else. Better yet, go on Mumble, I hear there is a Toilet room dedicated to airing this crap out.

Isphera
9th July 2010, 08:07 AM
Novus Filiolus

I like it :D Not sure about other people, but I deffo like it.

the human centipede's

You might wanna read previous threads on this topic - we are looking for a non-joke name.

Chazlene
9th July 2010, 09:38 AM
how about "Novus Filiolus"

Lativ for new Gods

No it isn't.

'Novi Dei' is new gods.

Calneon
9th July 2010, 10:01 AM
Similar to Mitch's one, what about "Homo Novus", basically means new human, or the next step in human evolution.

Isphera
9th July 2010, 10:08 AM
I really like Novi Dei. Homo Novus - not so much :D

How about 'Novus Orsa' - new beginning

Calneon
9th July 2010, 11:37 AM
Novi Dei is better than Novus Orsa. Orss sounds too much like Ursan - bear.

Colonel Mitch
9th July 2010, 12:14 PM
No it isn't.

'Novi Dei' is new gods.

doesnt it depend on the tense or summit?

i no deus is god but when i translated gods in that context it became filious, which actually rings a bell.

dei doesnt come up at all on this translator =/

Isphera
9th July 2010, 12:51 PM
Aeternus Pax - I liek

I'm guessing he put this in the wrong thread, so I transferred it here. I really quite like this one as well. What did it mean again

List we have at the moment

Novi Dei
Novus Orsa
Aeternus Pax

It's worth mentioning that searches for Novus Orsa and Aeternus Pax come up with WoW Guilds. Novi Dei comes up empty.

Calneon
9th July 2010, 12:55 PM
Can we mix 1+2 and make Novus Dei? Sounds better than Novi Dei.

Isphera
9th July 2010, 12:59 PM
I'll be honest - I agree. It may not be truly gramatically correct, but the meaning translates the same. I prefer Novus Dei over Novi Dei, but I prefer Novus Orsa over all. I'll wait for a day or two then setup a poll.

Chazlene
9th July 2010, 01:07 PM
doesnt it depend on the tense or summit?

i no deus is god but when i translated gods in that context it became filious, which actually rings a bell.

dei doesnt come up at all on this translator =/

Dei is nominative plural of Deus, which I think is the right tense and shit... filious means young son, 'New Young Sons' does sound kewl though, maybe for a band though rather than a team lohl.

Isphera
9th July 2010, 01:21 PM
Your right, NYS is kinda like a band name, and is a little wierd to begin with. Does sound nice for that though.

Colonel Mitch
9th July 2010, 01:34 PM
rofol i checked 3 translators and all said filious was gods =/

Chazlene
9th July 2010, 01:56 PM
rofol i checked 3 translators and all said filious was gods =/

I did Latin for 7 long years and each year I was told Deus means God :p

Colonel Mitch
9th July 2010, 01:58 PM
I no Deus is god chazle :P

but latin does some fucked up shit with plurals n cases n tenses xD

Isphera
9th July 2010, 03:08 PM
I'll have a vote up sometime tonight or tomorrow morning.

Bloo
9th July 2010, 03:31 PM
Mitch's suggestion would roughly translate as New Godson apparently.

Marshy
9th July 2010, 11:02 PM
Aeternus Pax means Eternal Peace by the way

D_K_Head
9th July 2010, 11:22 PM
what about 'Immunda Patella', or 'Capulatio Palma Nemus'? Let's face it, no-one knows what they mean anyway, and if we're going to sound like pretentious pricks, we may as well make a joke out of it...

Marshy
9th July 2010, 11:37 PM
I agree a latin name is totally pretentious haha,

We names our clan Novus Interviens and i chundered everywhar.. yah yah.. me and the lads had been on the lash the night before.

D_K_Head
10th July 2010, 01:31 AM
(Just for the record, I auto-translated "Dirty Dishes" and "Decapitated Palm Tree"... but the translator was questionable, so if either of those mention dildos, I appologise.)

Chalex4
11th July 2010, 01:06 AM
I like the Latin vibe you guys have going on. I think that it would sound much more badass if we just had 1 word though instead of 2 though. Having 2 just makes things messy with agreements. Just look at "Dignitas".

I might take a look over some latin tomorrow and have a think. For the record, I actually still like BRS :p.

Isphera
11th July 2010, 11:22 AM
If you see the vote that we've put up, Nouvs Dei is likely the new name. We will however, be having a final vote with Aeternus, since that idea came up just after the poll started and seems to be well recieved. BRS garnered the same amount of votes and Commense Logic in a poll where most people said they didn't like either, and just voted randomly, so neither of those is being used.

Oh, and Dignitas is actually known as 'Team Dignitas'. Two words bro.

Setsoru
11th July 2010, 01:54 PM
while translating 'Latin is for Losers'
I realised that in latin 'Pro' means 'for'

Loser = Perdo

with a little swapping i came up with 'Pro Pedro' (for pedro [vote for pedro])
If you are serious about using latin, i suggest either using 1 word, (as previously suggested) such as Immortalis (the immortals) or some kinda joke name like Pro pedro, which is funny with its dual meanings.. (the latin translation, and the sarcasm that comes with suggesting ANYONE called pedro could possible be pro at anything)

AS a joke, and after discovering Bro rape
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEJ5bfuBehs
CHAZLENE and I came up with the name 'ProBros' Which had the desired effect of making us look like 13 year old Halo fanboys and got us negative amounts of respect. but was still funny as it was an In-joke. There must be some funny circumstances which involve the majority of the members of ATK which you can use as a starting point for the name...

Thats my 2 cents i prolly wont make it to i40 but i thought, that i should participate :D

Chazlene
11th July 2010, 01:56 PM
Hectic and I came up with the name 'ProBros'.

Dude I came up with that name >:0

Target
14th July 2010, 01:34 PM
LeveL

Chalex4
15th July 2010, 10:31 AM
This is the best place to use for Latin translation: http://lysy2.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/wordes.exe

I still think that one word would be better than 2. What about "PRIMUS" (meaning FIRST).

Isphera
15th July 2010, 10:46 AM
Read the decision thread.....Ęternus

Calneon
15th July 2010, 11:23 AM
Chalex fails at reading forums xD.

Gonna lock this thread because it now serves no purpose except to be mysteriously necro'd a year from now.