PDA

View Full Version : What's going wrong before i40 for you?

Paper Tiger
26th August 2010, 12:07 AM
Every year, last minute, something always happens... Something always goes wrong...

Well, what is it for you this year?

Problem: Trying to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 on my desktop, which isn't happening... It keeps freezing on the install, at 25-27% every time.

Possible solution: I'm going to try leaving it over night (it's late, so I'm going to bed now...) and see if it still works and finishes the install.

Any other suggestions?

Anyone else have something go wrong with such a short time left 'til the much anticipated i40?

Or is it just me... /sadface

Setsoru
26th August 2010, 12:38 AM
try a new dvd/ formatting your disk

Chalex4
26th August 2010, 12:40 AM
That seems pretty unlucky mate! I'll bring my W7 Pro disk just in case. Leaving it overnight sounds like the best idea, sometimes these things can take a while.

It seems unlikely that a component has failed.

Genesis.uk
26th August 2010, 01:10 AM
that happened to me

it ended up by cpu was dieing.

good luck with that. i was gonna try a fresh install now but im just to tired so just gonna hope it works.

Marshy
26th August 2010, 01:34 AM
It's 1:34 i have nothing packed my computer is still very much here and i am yet to tell my dad how much money i need, i win!

Calneon
26th August 2010, 06:47 AM
That is unlucky. I'm sure we can sort you out at i40 if you're still having problems.

Vicious Horizon
26th August 2010, 08:14 AM
Omm nom nom, I've not packed anything up yet, I'm just chillin'. I think I'll pack up at lunch..

Chazlene
26th August 2010, 08:26 AM
It's wet.

Can't drive myself down since family car is in the garage so parents need mine, anyone want to pick me up on route? :P

My current sleeping pattern is completely wrong for a lan party.

Did I mention it's wet?

Isphera
26th August 2010, 09:01 AM
Where do you live again - I know it's near Wantage, but from there, I don't know. I could be able to pick you up, but I won't be able to bring you back, but I suspect Chalex will be able to.

Chazlene
26th August 2010, 09:05 AM
Ah cheers maaatee... I live in Letcombe Regis, postcode is OX12 9LF. Would that be ok if you could pick me up? I'll pay for fuel if you want.

VoX
26th August 2010, 09:15 AM
Gary - I'll bring the USB I used to install Win7 from, it could just be a dodgey disk.

Chaz getting a lift kinda borks one of my plans, was going to ask nicely if I could put my PC stuff in their car until check-in :D. But yeah, anyone got room for me to lock it all in? lol.

Chazlene
26th August 2010, 09:17 AM
Chaz getting a lift kinda borks one of my plans, was going to ask nicely if I could put my PC stuff in their car until check-in :D. But yeah, anyone got room for me to lock it all in? lol.

Huh? In who's car?

Isphera
26th August 2010, 09:26 AM
Ah cheers maaatee... I live in Letcombe Regis, postcode is OX12 9LF. Would that be ok if you could pick me up? I'll pay for fuel if you want.

Should be fine, assuming I don't get lost. Don't worry about fuel cost. You'll still have to grab a lift back home, although I suspect Chalex won't mind.

Chazlene
26th August 2010, 09:32 AM
Cheers bro, just in case you get lost my mobile is 07946805860, what's your current number?

Isphera
26th August 2010, 09:36 AM
Cheers bro, just in case you get lost my mobile is 07946805860, what's your current number?

I'll check for my SatNav, but don't have my phone I don't think.

Isphera
26th August 2010, 09:54 AM
OK, scratch that. I've got the SatNav, and by some fluke, I also have my phone. - 07947406220

VoX
26th August 2010, 10:05 AM
Huh? In who's car?

Your car if it was cool, was tired when typing lol.

Marshy
26th August 2010, 10:19 AM
Marshy update: Its 10:18 im still yet to even begin to pack and start taking pc down, oh yeh my Ethernet driver was un installed accidentally and i cant connect through my Ethernet port. I also have to be in a car with target D: I win

Vicious Horizon
26th August 2010, 10:54 AM
Lol, Still not packed up my PC..

Chazlene
26th August 2010, 10:55 AM
Lol, Still not packed up my PC..

Same, but I'm not leaving until 2.30 :D

Vicious Horizon
26th August 2010, 11:04 AM
Aye, I'm prolly leaving at about 2

VoX
26th August 2010, 11:15 AM
Well now all packed up, now got just over an hour to re-string guitar, chill on mums lappy and wait for DE to turn up.

See you all in the pouring rain at 3!

Vicious Horizon
26th August 2010, 11:29 AM
It's dry over here, Putting up tent in the rain is gonna fail..

Paper Tiger
26th August 2010, 11:30 AM
Thread hijack much! XD

After 7 attempts to install it, it crashed at near enough the same point every time! =[ Even with leaving over night.

Had the same problems when I tried to originally install it, but it worked on the third attempt, so I was being optimistic.

I now have a useless pile of electrical parts and silicon chips sitting in my room as it now doesn't boot 'cos I tried to format the disk to do a totally fresh install.

So it looks like I'm in exactly the same situation as I was last year, so I shall be calling upon the aid of some people.

I have a key for Win7, but it's x64 pro edition...

Isphera
26th August 2010, 12:33 PM
Same, but I'm not leaving until 2.30 :D

On that point Chaz, please be ready to go before I get there, as you know how impatient I can be.

Marshallo
1st September 2010, 11:59 PM
I suffered a broken SATA cable form my hard drive when I had set up, though not too hard to track another one down. Along with a friend whose PSU blew on arrival. Always expected however that something will go wrong.

Isphera
2nd September 2010, 09:44 AM
I got away with it at i31, but at the beginning of i34 my heatsink on Erebus Mk. 1 snapped one of the pegs off because I was a spanner and put it on the very hard floor directly in a van with very poor suspension. Fortunately, Chalex fixed it for the cost of locking everyone shit up for the weekend and a rock-a-bye-baby wakeup the first morning.