PDA

View Full Version : BOOTMGR is missing.

Vicious Horizon
6th September 2010, 02:15 PM
Every time I turn on my gaming PC now, I get the following error.

"
Loading Operating System...

BOOTMGR IS MISSING
Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart
"

Tried reparing windows from my Windows 7 CD, which didn't work.

I might try installing Windows on the Other drive, and recover what I want to keep desparately onto a memory stick or something and then formatting and re-installing.

But tbh, I'd like to be able to fix this without a complete re-install, ideas?

Colonel Mitch
6th September 2010, 03:05 PM
Every time I turn on my gaming PC now, I get the following error.

"
Loading Operating System...

BOOTMGR IS MISSING
Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart
"

Tried reparing windows from my Windows 7 CD, which didn't work.

I might try installing Windows on the Other drive, and recover what I want to keep desparately onto a memory stick or something and then formatting and re-installing.

But tbh, I'd like to be able to fix this without a complete re-install, ideas?

how did you break it in the first place?

Are you sure it is booting from the correct drive?

Vicious Horizon
6th September 2010, 03:54 PM
My PC froze while trying to install iTunes after one of the files became corrupted; it shut down, restarted itself and came up the BOOTMGR error.

I'll try unplugging the non-OS drive in a bit, but I don'tthink it would have tried to boot from the wrong drive for no reason..

(Thinking about it, in the Windows installation repair thing, it was calling my Primary OS drive, previously C:, it was calling it D:.... which is a little confusing..)

Colonel Mitch
6th September 2010, 05:47 PM
i think its boothing from the wrong drive, tho you were installing itunes, which could cause your pc to explode and stave jobs to happy face.

Lesson learned: DO NOT USE ITUNES

Vicious Horizon
6th September 2010, 06:43 PM
Lesson not learned - I vont zeez songs on mai iPod.

Problem fixed - Unplugged my <D:\> drive. It vorked.

Shall now attempt to re-insert le cable into mai computer, and see whether the error is continued.

VoX
6th September 2010, 09:54 PM
Lesson not learned - I vont zeez songs on mai iPod.

Use WinAmp, it can sync iPods.

Calneon
6th September 2010, 10:34 PM
Haha damn, I've never had a problem with iTunes, tbh it's good for downloading latest podcasts and syncing music. Other than it being a resource hog and made by Apple, it does it's job.

ez64
6th September 2010, 10:59 PM
Haha damn, I've never had a problem with iTunes, tbh it's good for downloading latest podcasts and syncing music. Other than it being a resource hog and made by Apple, it does it's job.

/wriggle in laughter :D

Had nothing but good money and problems by clients because of itunes, the worst situation is almost encrypting your entire database of music so it can be used by nothing but itunes or a decoder rendering a borked windows install into a nightmare.

it is ok par the resource issues and performance of cold starts but when it goes wrong its not fun and it does go wrong.

Isphera
6th September 2010, 11:36 PM

QFT. Love the new look for 10 as well. The icon - not so much.

VoX
7th September 2010, 07:05 PM
QFT. Love the new look for 10 as well. The icon - not so much.

The main reason that I actually gave up on iTunes was they released an update to the interface that made it soo fugly IMO, so went to WinAmp that you can have customizable skins on :D

Chalex4
8th September 2010, 02:01 PM
Not sure if you have this problem still. I've had it before and when I tried the normal startup repair it couldn't find my OS! This fixed that:

Boot Windows 7 DVD Repair console, click through to Recovery tools list, select Command Line, type:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK # (# for Windows 7 HD)
LIST PARTITION
SELECT PARTITION # (# for Windows 7 partition)
ACTIVE
EXIT

Now return to Recovery Tools list and run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots as it may have multiple issues to fix.

Vicious Horizon
8th September 2010, 02:17 PM
Fixed it myself, but thanks anyway Chalex