PDA

View Full Version : Riddle me this

Calneon
6th September 2010, 03:15 PM
I have two lengths of string. Both pieces of string are identical, and each piece of string burns from end to end in exactly one hour.

How do you measure 45 minutes using these pieces of string?

Chazlene
6th September 2010, 03:35 PM
Fold one piece of string into quarters, then 45 minutes will have passed once it's burned 3/4 of the way along?

Calneon
6th September 2010, 03:56 PM
Fold one piece of string into quarters, then 45 minutes will have passed once it's burned 3/4 of the way along?
You assume that the string burns evenly through the entire length of the string.

Mr.Big
6th September 2010, 04:17 PM
you go on google and try 'n find a solution

Deri
6th September 2010, 05:39 PM
Sure is XKCD in here

ez64
6th September 2010, 06:03 PM
I have two lengths of string. Both pieces of string are identical, and each piece of string burns from end to end in exactly one hour.

How do you measure 45 minutes using these pieces of string?

numb/encore?

Vicious Horizon
6th September 2010, 06:51 PM
I have two strings.

I name one 'Fred', the other 'George'

I take fred and light both ends at the same time.

With the thread burning at either end, when the two ends eventually meet, then this means 30 minutes has passed. (The time is halved as it's being burnt on either end.)

I take George, and at the same time as Fred, I burn only /one/ end of George.

30 minutes passes and Fred is gone, I then light the other end of George.

Now George is roughly 50% of its original size, meaning there is roughly 30 minutes left if I leave it as it is.

Imagine if it's easier that George was always at half size.

now I light the opposite end of George, and wait until the string has been burnt completely.

This gives me 45 minutes, as 30 of these minutes was signified by 100% of Fred, and 50% of George (we assume).

100% (1 Hour) + 50% (George's remaining time) is equal to 30 minutes.

30 / 2 = 15, 30 + 15 = 45.

15 = 50% of George.

George may not be 50% in actual size, but 50% of the hour that George contains is gone. This isn't about length, this is about time.

I think I won?

Calneon
6th September 2010, 07:59 PM
I have two strings.

I name one 'Fred', the other 'George'

I take fred and light both ends at the same time.

With the thread burning at either end, when the two ends eventually meet, then this means 30 minutes has passed. (The time is halved as it's being burnt on either end.)

I take George, and at the same time as Fred, I burn only /one/ end of George.

30 minutes passes and Fred is gone, I then light the other end of George.

Now George is roughly 50% of its original size, meaning there is roughly 30 minutes left if I leave it as it is.

Imagine if it's easier that George was always at half size.

now I light the opposite end of George, and wait until the string has been burnt completely.

This gives me 45 minutes, as 30 of these minutes was signified by 100% of Fred, and 50% of George (we assume).

100% (1 Hour) + 50% (George's remaining time) is equal to 30 minutes.

30 / 2 = 15, 30 + 15 = 45.

15 = 50% of George.

George may not be 50% in actual size, but 50% of the hour that George contains is gone. This isn't about length, this is about time.

I think I won?
You won the googling contest yeah.

Vicious Horizon
6th September 2010, 08:49 PM
Googling? You insult my intelligence =/

I used Yahoo actually!

Setsoru
6th September 2010, 09:28 PM
you wake up in a rooom

the room has 2 doors leading out, one leads to certain death, the other to certain freedom..

There are 2 men standing in the middle of the room.
One man ALWAYS tells the truth
The other ALWAYS lies.

you are only allowed to ask 1 question. directed at 1 of the men.

what question do you ask, to find out which door to go through?
(note: you want certain freedom)

Calneon
6th September 2010, 10:32 PM
you wake up in a rooom

the room has 2 doors leading out, one leads to certain death, the other to certain freedom..

There are 2 men standing in the middle of the room.
One man ALWAYS tells the truth
The other ALWAYS lies.

you are only allowed to ask 1 question. directed at 1 of the men.

what question do you ask, to find out which door to go through?
(note: you want certain freedom)
Damn, that seems really simple but I'm sure there's a catch somewhere.

Assuming that the two men know which door is which, it would appear that you could ask, "Which door leads to certain freedom" to either of them. You take the door the honest man tells you, and not the one the lier tells you.

Vicious Horizon
6th September 2010, 10:33 PM
I ask the man who always tells the truth which door leads to certain freedom.

He tells me the correct answer.

I exit the room.

- I think there's a little more to this riddle than you put?

Calneon
6th September 2010, 10:37 PM
I ask the man who always tells the truth which door leads to certain freedom.

He tells me the correct answer.

I exit the room.

- I think there's a little more to this riddle than you put?
I've read through it again and I can't find a hole in it.

ez64
6th September 2010, 10:54 PM
The whole point of that story was you dont know who is who but sir nublet re wrote it wrong :D

Calneon
6th September 2010, 11:06 PM
The whole point of that story was you dont know who is who but sir nublet re wrote it wrong :D
Well then it's random and not a riddle...

Setsoru
6th September 2010, 11:06 PM

this cock munching ass-bitch is right

you don't know who lies or tells the truth.

the answer is:
'what door will the other man say is the door too freedom?'

if u happen to ask the one who tells the truth he will point to the door of death, because the other guy will claim that that is the door to freedom.
if u happen to ask the one who lies to you, he will point to the door of death, because, in reality the other guy, will point to the correct door

so no matter what you go to the opposite door to the one the man points at

Isphera
6th September 2010, 11:30 PM
I'm as large as a castle, yet I'm lighter than air. One hundred men cannot move me - what am I?

Calneon
6th September 2010, 11:48 PM
I'm as large as a castle, yet I'm lighter than air. One hundred men cannot move me - what am I?
A cloud.

Toasty-Sloth
7th September 2010, 06:59 AM
I weigh almost nothing but no man on earth can hold me for more than a few minutes.

what am I?

Vicious Horizon
7th September 2010, 08:03 AM
A woman.

Isphera
7th September 2010, 08:08 AM
A cloud.

Incorrect.

I weigh almost nothing but no man on earth can hold me for more than a few minutes.

what am I?

Breath. And I did that by myself as well.

Calneon
7th September 2010, 11:10 AM
Incorrect.

Yes it fucking is. A cloud meets all those criteria.

Target
7th September 2010, 11:26 AM
Is it a shadow oric?

Target
7th September 2010, 11:31 AM
What crime is punishable when attempted but not when committed?

Chazlene
7th September 2010, 11:50 AM
What crime is punishable when attempted but not when committed?

Suicide... which, before you ask Target, I'm not going to commit because I'm a farmer which obviously means I'm depressed :p

Isphera
7th September 2010, 12:32 PM
Is it a shadow oric?

It is Chris - the Castle's Shadow is the correct answer. Lol at Cal raging :D

Target
7th September 2010, 01:30 PM
yes chaz, and woot go sunlight giving me the answer :D saw all the shadows in my room as was zomg its a shadow!!!!

Calneon
7th September 2010, 01:49 PM
It is Chris - the Castle's Shadow is the correct answer. Lol at Cal raging :D
"It's lighter than air" suggests that the shadow has a mass. A shadow has no mass. A shadow is nothing, it is the absence of light. A castle's shadow is not larger than the castle that's casting the shadow if you measure the shadow during midday, and even if it has a long shadow during the evening the castle has a much vaster volume because a shadow is 2D, and you didn't mention whether the size was referring to surface area on the ground or volume. 100 men could move a shadow, they could move the castle which is casting the shadow and therefore move the castle's shadow. They could even put something between the sun and the castle to block out the light and totally remove the shadow.

A cloud is lighter than air, because it floats in the air. A cloud can be larger than a castle. A cloud cannot be moved by 100 men.

I am right, you are wrong.

Fuck.

Trigger
7th September 2010, 01:52 PM
I luled, you tell em Cal

Target
7th September 2010, 01:58 PM
100 men could move a cloud though if they built a huge fucking plane and swallowed it

Calneon
7th September 2010, 02:00 PM
100 men could move a cloud though if they built a huge fucking plane and swallowed it
True.

D_K_Head
8th September 2010, 02:56 AM
I heard this one a while back, and it made me groan when someone told me the answer... (before I even had a chance to guess it actually. Some people are terrible at telling riddles.)

I am the beginning of the end and the end of time and space. I am essential to creation and I suround every place.

Vicious Horizon
8th September 2010, 07:57 AM
I heard this one a while back, and it made me groan when someone told me the answer... (before I even had a chance to guess it actually. Some people are terrible at telling riddles.)

I am the beginning of the end and the end of time and space. I am essential to creation and I suround every place.

Your mum.

Chazlene
8th September 2010, 10:36 AM

Blatantly the letter 'E'...

Calneon
8th September 2010, 12:05 PM
I hate crap riddles like that.

Setsoru
8th September 2010, 12:28 PM

1 hundred men could move a shadow, by blocking the sunlight, and using a massive manoeuvrable light to move the shadows LOL :P

Vicious Horizon
8th September 2010, 01:06 PM
and I suround every place.

Evidently not correct spelling.