PDA

View Full Version : Hey Everyone.

NearmissTFW |ATK|
23rd October 2010, 03:52 PM
Hey :awe:, I play TF2, but lag is a big problem for me, I have Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron Laptop, If you could suggest anything to lower lag that would be great.

Bye :grin:

~NearmissTFW

Setsoru
23rd October 2010, 05:25 PM
Are you referring to Network lag, or computer speed/lag?

If its network lag:
- Make sure your wireless network card is updated with the latest driver. You should be able to find that on the dell website but i will need your exact model number if you need help.
- Make sure your wireless signal is strong, generally the closer you are too the router the better.
- Ensure that you don't have any programs running updates, or downloading updates such as steam, or antivirus.

If its your actual computer which is slow:
- Make sure that your drivers are updated, most notably the graphics driver.Again you should be able to get this from the dell website or from the graphics card manufacturer.
- Set the graphics settings to minimum, and lower the resolution of TF2 as well. One of the biggest processing hogs i have trouble with are the shadow/shading gfx. By disabling this option, or at least setting it to minimum you should notice a significant increase in speed.
- Get rid of any junk files, and registry issues.
- Defragment your Harddrive. I cannot stress this enough. If you make any large downloads, or install any large graphics intensive programs you should degragment the harddrive in question.
Windows can defragment and clean up junk files, but it is painfully slow, and horrid to use. There is an alternative which i use called Auslogics boostspeed. it isn't free but u can acquire it (http://rapidshare.com/files/319466966/Auslogics.BoostSpeed_4.5.15_Build_280.rar)

Finally you need to stop wasting your computers resources, by closing unnecessary programs.
Game Booster (http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html) is a great and FREE program which allows you to easily manage these programs, and return your computer to normal when you are done too.

let me know if this helps. However do not think that a standard dell inspiron is capable or running TF2...

Calneon
23rd October 2010, 06:52 PM
Good advice Set, and welcome Nearmiss. Saw you on the TF2 server last night.