PDA

View Full Version : Overheating CPU

Chazlene
23rd March 2011, 12:18 AM
For a while my processor has been a lot hotter than usual, it used to stay at around 30 degrees, but now while idle it's anywhere between 52 and 62 degrees. This didn't really bother me since I haven't been gaming much, but the other day I bought Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and I noticed while in game it shot up to around 90 degrees, peaking at one point at 100. It's really affecting the performance in game and stuff... I've tried running a full virus scan to see if a virus is causing it, and blitzed the inside of my case several times with compressed air but it hasn't seemed to do anything, anyone got any suggestions what else it could be or what I could try to fix it? By the way I noticed the change in temperature after moving halls at uni, so could something have become broken while I moved my PC?

Kiliv
23rd March 2011, 12:53 AM
is there any cables brushing against the hsf fan? could slow it down or impeed airflow or something, :S also try using new TIM, its cheap and quick test :) other than that no idea

Chalex4
23rd March 2011, 12:58 AM
Personally I think that heatsink's about to fall off. I'd take it off, clean off all the AS5 on there, and reapply some new paste (which costs a few quid) and resecure it.

Colonel Mitch
23rd March 2011, 01:31 AM
Personally I think that heatsink's about to fall off. I'd take it off, clean off all the AS5 on there, and reapply some new paste (which costs a few quid) and resecure it.

THIS

Chazlene
23rd March 2011, 01:48 AM
clean off all the AS5 on there, and reapply some new paste (which costs a few quid) and resecure it.

Is all that really necessary? The heatsink doesn't look dislodged or anything... and you know me, I'll end up seriously breaking something.

Chalex4
23rd March 2011, 01:56 AM
I think so. Do you have any computery friends at uni who could help?

Vicious Horizon
23rd March 2011, 09:56 AM
With me (had the same problem almost exactly the other week), just took off the Heatsink, cleaned off the thermal paste, re-applied and temps reduced dramatically.

If the 'sink is even slightly loose then air can get inside between the layers are cook the CPU

Chazlene
23rd March 2011, 03:17 PM
Is there anything else at all I could try before taking off the heatsink? I want that to be a last resort really...

And what the hell is new TIM Kiliv lol?

Calneon
23rd March 2011, 03:25 PM
Is there anything else at all I could try before taking off the heatsink? I want that to be a last resort really...

And what the hell is new TIM Kiliv lol?
Thermal insulation material.

The fact that this happened after you moved your PC points strongly towards the fact that your heatsink has become loose or something. There's nothing else that could have caused this, unless the fan has stopped working (I assume you checked this).

Chazlene
4th April 2011, 01:36 PM
Well I've got it fixed guys, took it to a repair place, turned out the CPU fan or something was loose, was fixed in a few secs just buy pushing something back in place, so was something I could have done myself really... thanks for all the advice anyway though.

This does prove one thing however - Chalex, you DO have a thermal paste fetish.

Target
4th April 2011, 01:58 PM
This does prove one thing however - Chalex, you DO have a thermal paste fetish.

He be lovin the thermal paste

Hutch
4th April 2011, 02:58 PM
If you type "chalex fetish" into google you get some very interesting and very weird results....

Vicious Horizon
4th April 2011, 04:06 PM
If you type "chalex fetish" into google you get some very interesting and very weird results....

Highly tempted to do so.