PDA

View Full Version : Piece of my Heart - Music Video

Chalex4
1st April 2011, 06:56 PM
So some of you will know that earlier this year I was working non-stop on a music video I was directing! It was created as LSUTV's (Loughborough Students Union TV) entry to the National Student Television Awards; more specifically the video to music category :).

Only now am I allowed to share it with you all. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-96JrQ28wB0

Just so you know, the National Student Television Awards are judged by BBC/TV/film professionals and sponsored by Sky. Every University with a TV station around the UK has entered things into various categories. If we win, it's going to be a BIG deal :D.

The awards event is happening next Saturday (mini version of the Baftas), so I'll let you know how it goes!

PS. Yes, now I'll concentrate on the i40 vid :p.

ez64
1st April 2011, 08:09 PM
Great voice if it is not edited/dubbed at all afterwards and just the result of retakes.

Chalex4
1st April 2011, 09:14 PM
Haha we didn't record the actual song, that's by Minnah Karlsson. Glad you thought it was her singing though, we wanted to give that impression :).

Calneon
1st April 2011, 09:35 PM
Can't say I care much for the video's subject matter or the song, but the editing was good. There were a few things that irked me though. Why did you crop it to movie widescreen? Most music videos I see are normal widescreen and I don't think it suits them very well. Blurring at the start seemed a bit just blurring for the sake of it.

Chalex4
1st April 2011, 09:44 PM
You're going to have a hard time liking the video if you don't like the song, so fair enough!

We cropped the video as we thought the composition worked better that way, and I like working in that ratio. Blurring is build up the tension as the song starts before you see the girl, and it adds a bit to the video's creative style. It was by far the hardest media project I've ever worked on, and although I know I'd do a lot differently next time, I'm very happy with the way it turned out :).

Setsoru
1st April 2011, 11:18 PM
i40 video.... where is it.

ditto

Setsoru
1st April 2011, 11:24 PM
saxophone guy looks like edward cullen haha

i'd sort the singer out till she couldn't stand up on her own..

but yeah, well edited, synced really well with the audio

Chazlene
1st April 2011, 11:52 PM
The main guy in the love story, I don't like his face.

Isphera
2nd April 2011, 01:51 AM
Needs more distortion and cowbell.

Hutch
2nd April 2011, 02:21 AM
Well synched voicewise, but the camera work was awful as well as the cuts between angles. Made me feel like I was at sea. Also the instrument playing doesn't look at all authentic with the music playing. Whoever did the recording of the song did a good job though.
Also the lighting doesn't really do it justice. And lastly, the theme is pathetic. I mean really?????

This is basically what the Bristol student population who have seen it are telling me, and also my dad, former tv editor. So take what you will.
I didnt want to trash it.

Target
2nd April 2011, 04:49 AM
It needs to be more like....

THE i40 video!!!!!

Target
2nd April 2011, 04:50 AM
I did enjoy it though

Chazlene
2nd April 2011, 09:30 AM
It needs to be more like....

THE i40 video!!!!!

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/jesus%20thumbs%20up.jpg

VoX
2nd April 2011, 11:49 AM
I enjoyed it, the actual music playing was painfully obvious it was fake though :/. Loving the glasses when opening the door btw lol.

Chazlene
2nd April 2011, 11:53 AM
Loving the glasses when opening the door btw lol.

I have never cringed harder.

Chalex4
2nd April 2011, 01:49 PM

Good :p.

Thanks for all that Hutch, very useful feedback. Always trying to improve, but of course it's always an added challenge when the people on the cameras haven't used them before and have to be trained by me on the day! We also had to do this whole thing in a pretty short space of time, which meant we couldn't quite plan the shots as much as we needed to.

Interested in what you said about the lighting though, how exactly would you change it? I know I bleached some of the scenes too much in some cases and next time won't be afraid to have some dark shadows. I'm also pissed that I didn't have enough time to fully colour correct some scenes, but oh well!

Glad you enjoyed it Vox!

Target
3rd April 2011, 06:51 PM

I was physically sick with laughter