PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on this logo

Chazlene
6th May 2011, 10:19 PM
Yeah currently arguing with a fellow designer and the guy who I'm making this for, can't agree on which design is best, so give your opinions please:

http://www.atkcommunity.com/gallery/images/3/1_newspeak_logo.png

Colonel Mitch
6th May 2011, 10:30 PM
I liek the one in the middle the most

Vicious Horizon
6th May 2011, 10:30 PM
Third one or second one (going down) in order of my preference.

Target
6th May 2011, 11:48 PM
Middle one easy

Hutch
6th May 2011, 11:51 PM
Newspeak???? Did they ask you to promote synergy? Blergh. Steer away from those people

VoX
7th May 2011, 12:07 AM
Definitely the type on the second one, then either second or third for actual logo. I'd say second outright, but always think when logos aren't encompassed in a roughly regular shape they can look slightly odd, mainly when put on differing backgrounds.

Calneon
7th May 2011, 12:10 AM
First logo second font.

Chazlene
7th May 2011, 01:20 AM
Bear in mind guys the font in the second one is based off Helvetica, the most widely used font ever, every road sign, most shop window adverts, etc, is Helvetica, since it is such a perfect font, but also means it's best to avoid it since it's so overused.

Also the design of the second one isn't as good because of the large gap between the logo and 'Newspeak', whereas it's smaller between the logo and 'management', which means it doesn't look like the logo and text go together.

Target
7th May 2011, 01:45 AM
People like what there use to, we all saw it and thought I like that but really it was because we recognised the font, makes sense to choose it :D

Calneon
7th May 2011, 02:20 AM
http://i.imgur.com/7uIM8.png

I made it betterer.

ez64
7th May 2011, 05:16 AM
Bear in mind guys the font in the second one is based off Helvetica, the most widely used font ever, every road sign, most shop window adverts, etc, is Helvetica, since it is such a perfect font, but also means it's best to avoid it since it's so overused.

Also the design of the second one isn't as good because of the large gap between the logo and 'Newspeak', whereas it's smaller between the logo and 'management', which means it doesn't look like the logo and text go together.

Overused doesn't mean bad font, preference I wouldn't say was a conscious decision anyway so whats the problem?

Chazlene
7th May 2011, 11:24 AM
Overused doesn't mean bad font, preference I wouldn't say was a conscious decision anyway so whats the problem?

Overused does mean though that you won't stand out as much if most other companies used Helvetica, besides the other font I used is pretty good itself.

VoX
7th May 2011, 11:28 AM
What Target said, it's familiar ground for people so their drawn to it, plus the other font looks a little too stretched vertically imo.

Chazlene
7th May 2011, 11:50 AM
Wow so you guys seriously think that EVERY single logo in the world should be done in Helvetica?

VoX
7th May 2011, 01:36 PM
Not EVERY logo, but I'm guessing this is some form of news venture? In which case they would be delivering topics that are completely different everyday and trying to get their story heard and believed (put themselves in the same category as broadsheet newspapers basically.) So from this, I'd rather go with a company that represent themselves through familiar terms rather than trying to be eye catching and different.

For example:

The Guardian logo, simple serif font, 2 cool (in the colour temperature sense) colours, job done. Looks simple, easy, doesn't scream in your face.

The Sun logo, italic, block caps for THE, garish red background, very much in your face "look at me" style logo.

Remove any previous connotations you have with either newspaper, put yourself in a situation at a newsagents picking up the paper and wanting the more truthful story. Based on logo, which one would you pick?

It's not about every logo being made up of the same generic font collection, it's more choosing fonts that are appropriate based on the
context. Like if ATK came out with a generic Helvetica style logo, it just wouldn't fit.

Don't know why but the text from top and bottom logo screams "American" at me, don't know why it's just something about the vertically elongated look...

Chazlene
7th May 2011, 03:05 PM
but I'm guessing this is some form of news venture?

Umm no it's for a management company, mainly doing band management... the clue's in the name, so it's not necessarily trying to represent itself through a familiar appearance. If anything a band management website to me should look more radical and eye-catching, it's just the client wants to keep it fairly simply with only a few colours.

Calneon
7th May 2011, 03:25 PM
Umm no it's for a management company, mainly doing band management... the clue's in the name
News Speak sounds like a news venture to me. Though management doesn't. Sounds a bit conflicted. Anyway, I've gone off the center text now I've been looking at it. Especially the bottom part, it looks cluttered and messy.

VoX
7th May 2011, 03:29 PM
Other than management, name gives no hint that it's anything to do with band management imo.

Newspeak: "deliberately ambiguous and contradictory language use to mislead and manipulate the public"

So managing those that aim to manipulate the public? I know the music industry isn't exactly the nicest place, but would a band really want to be associated with that?

But knowing that information, it changes the whole situation. Personally, I'd say none of the above and agree fully with what you say about the site being extremely eye-catching. If I had to choose one though, I'd say the bottom one as the top logo just seems too bland, but if that's the look they're going for (why?) then it may fit in better with the overall site design (at a guess based on the assumption that they are going for a generic site that is)

Vicious Horizon
7th May 2011, 03:50 PM
Back to the topic at hand.

Middle one's text (It's just better imo, you could say that Drop D is an overused tuning in heavy metal, doesn't change the fact it sounds good)
Bottom logo, I like the two toned aspect with the shape around it too.

Joe
7th May 2011, 04:52 PM
3rd one looks the best by far

Chazlene
7th May 2011, 04:54 PM
News Speak sounds like a news venture to me. Though management doesn't. Sounds a bit conflicted. Anyway, I've gone off the center text now I've been looking at it. Especially the bottom part, it looks cluttered and messy.

None of you heard of 1984 lol? It's New Speak not News Peak... and don't have a go about that since I'm just doing the design, I didn't come up with the name.

Back to the topic at hand.

Middle one's text (It's just better imo, you could say that Drop D is an overused tuning in heavy metal, doesn't change the fact it sounds good)
Bottom logo, I like the two toned aspect with the shape around it too.

Yeah I think we're gonna go for the bottom logo definitely... I've gone off both these fonts now though... if the logo has rounded edges the font should too, and having a font as simple as they are at the moment doesn't do the logo justice.

Hutch
7th May 2011, 05:09 PM
Chaz, I asked about synergy, I said about New speak, I knew about 1984, see for yourself.

Calneon
7th May 2011, 05:27 PM
Did you like the font in the one I posted?

Isphera
7th May 2011, 05:33 PM
Didn't read whole thread, but third logo with second text.

Chazlene
7th May 2011, 05:41 PM
Chaz, I asked about synergy, I said about New speak, I knew about 1984, see for yourself.

Umm... good for you...?

Did you like the font in the one I posted?

Ah sorry didn't realise it was a different font, yeah I think I like that one, it's not as 'threatening' as the other tall font I used, plus seems slightly curvier, which goes better with the logo. However I think the client and my mate I'm designing this with have both gone off the idea of having a tall font.

Chalex4
7th May 2011, 05:58 PM
Definitely third logo, with a different font as you say. Out of all 3 though, I think the Helvetica font looks the best. Good idea to keep looking for another one though.

Target
8th May 2011, 12:14 AM
Maybe try a different language....just putting it out there!

matinrtez11
26th November 2012, 08:40 AM
I prefer the last one most.
You can turn the color of the word 'NEWSPEAK' into blue.

Target
26th November 2012, 08:33 PM
#1 necro

kneticz
27th November 2012, 10:45 AM
social media marketing

Can only LOL.