PDA

View Full Version : New News Ticker

Chalex4
18th May 2011, 12:54 PM
As many of you have already realised in the shoutbox, we've developed a brand new news ticker!

Here's a little preview for you:

http://www.atkcommunity.com/gallery/images/2/1_ticker.jpg

It's quite a big change from the our old multi-feed one, but this allows you to back and forth between lots of articles as you please. It's also a bit nicer on the eye.

Most bugs have been worked out, but please let us know if you have any suggestions or notice problems.

Colonel Mitch
18th May 2011, 01:12 PM
GOOD:
THE ARROWS ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

BAD:
Only 1 story at a time
No longer a "category" in square brackets
Only 1 story at a time
Most titles are too long to fit in the space at that font size

EDIT: lol @ the smilies

katakuna
18th May 2011, 01:23 PM
Here's what it looks like for me:
http://grab.by/grabs/00f2c9ebc94edddc1085dd4c952f2e5f45d5d4ae50.png

Chalex4
18th May 2011, 01:51 PM
In comparison, the old one looked like this:

http://www.atkcommunity.com/gallery/images/2/large/1_old_news_ticker.jpg

Kata and I will take a look at this soon and perhaps see where some improvements can be made. I'm sure you'll get used to the way it is now though.

Isphera
18th May 2011, 02:14 PM
In comparison, the old one looked like this:

http://www.atkcommunity.com/gallery/images/2/large/1_old_news_ticker.jpg

Kata and I will take a look at this soon and perhaps see where some improvements can be made. I'm sure you'll get used to the way it is now though.

Beh, just change it back. It looks so much nicer and professional. New one give you one story at a time, and you don't even see the full story title or where it's from.

Calneon
18th May 2011, 02:56 PM
Mitch is right on all points. This seems like a step back. I don't use the news ticker anyway but just my 2 cents.

Chazlene
18th May 2011, 02:57 PM
Beh, just change it back. It looks so much nicer and professional. New one give you one story at a time, and you don't even see the full story title or where it's from.

Margh. Yeah it shows one story at a time, but it rotates between them quicker, which in my opinion is better. Plus the arrows are really useful since before you'd have to wait a while for a news story to come round again if you didn't finish reading it.

Getting really bored of this mentality most people seem to have tbh, where you try to make out that changes to the site are pointless when they're not.

Kiliv
18th May 2011, 03:05 PM
i think the arrowes are a good idea but i agree with oric on the styling so i think you should keep the old one just add arrowes to it so you dont have to wait ages to see a story you missed clicking by a second.

Vicious Horizon
18th May 2011, 03:13 PM
Maybe make the text much smaller? Same size as it used to be?

I like the new design, especially the arrows, I'm always scanning through the news ticker.

Chalex4
18th May 2011, 03:13 PM
Margh. Yeah it shows one story at a time, but it rotates between them quicker, which in my opinion is better. Plus the arrows are really useful since before you'd have to wait a while for a news story to come round again if you didn't finish reading it.

Getting really bored of this mentality most people seem to have tbh, where you try to make out that changes to the site are pointless when they're not.

Completely agree with you here. The main reason for doing this was to reduce the text on the homepage. When new visitors come to the site, they're instantly confused by a lot of small text and links. I'm trying to break things up a bit. I will be doing the same to many other areas of the site in time.

We're not changing back to the old one either. All these features you so love were actually very broken, and even though it said "Slashdot" (for example) as the source, it would actually be a BBC article (Hutch informed me of this). You also can't "just add buttons". That'd require a thorough rewrite.

We'll try to tweak the new one to see full article names, as I agree that'd help. Beyond that though, you guys need to realise it is an improvement overall.

Calneon
18th May 2011, 03:37 PM
I just think it looks bad having large text in such a small container, you end up with one word per line. I think an improvement would be to have the text span the entire box, including where the arrows are, and either have the arrows part of the background, or underneath or something.

VoX
18th May 2011, 04:05 PM
Maybe make the text much smaller? Same size as it used to be?

I like the new design, especially the arrows, I'm always scanning through the news ticker.

+1. Good change, just needs slightly smaller text? (Not more, just a little smaller)

Kiliv
18th May 2011, 04:32 PM
im not sure if its just me but the length of the news feed on my browser is far to big, i have to go down for like 10 seconds before i hit what should be under it :S

although it Now seems to be working fine :)

Target
18th May 2011, 05:06 PM
So instead of doing the i40 vid your dicking around with the news ticker that worked fine before....

I can't even see it anymore

Chalex4
18th May 2011, 06:40 PM
Rightio, I took the ticker down for a while and had a fiddle. I've taken your thoughts onboard and have now re-released it as follows:

http://www.atkcommunity.com/gallery/images/2/large/1_ticker_new.jpg

I think it's way better now.

Vicious Horizon
18th May 2011, 06:45 PM
Smaller text, much smaller text :)

Chalex4
18th May 2011, 07:23 PM
No, it's meant to be big like that.

Vicious Horizon
18th May 2011, 07:45 PM
No, it's meant to be big like that.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g312/nukemdomis/more-lemon-pledge-consuela.png

No...........

Calneon
18th May 2011, 09:16 PM
Rightio, I took the ticker down for a while and had a fiddle. I've taken your thoughts onboard and have now re-released it as follows:

http://www.atkcommunity.com/gallery/images/2/large/1_ticker_new.jpg

I think it's way better now.
That looks so much better. I agree with you wanting to reduce the amount of text on the homepage and I think this is a good compromise

You could probably still fit in the information you lost (source and date) now that there's a lot more space, and change the colour of the text in brackets, and it would be perfect.

Colonel Mitch
18th May 2011, 09:17 PM
It really is too big Alex (First and last time you'll hear that ;))

But yeah thats alot better, tho i still think slightly smaller text.

Vicious Horizon
18th May 2011, 09:23 PM
I redact my previous statement, the size is fine now, I hadn't hard refreshed since you changed it last :D

Paper Tiger
19th May 2011, 02:11 AM
I think the font size is fine as it is, but could do with atleast a date, simply so you know how long ago this news was released.

I prefer the new position of the arrows too, as it's tidier and allows more space for the article headline to be displayed.

Target
20th May 2011, 01:21 AM
It cycles through headlines too quickly imo

katakuna
20th May 2011, 09:17 AM
I don't think it needs a date on it, since the news is taken from 4 or so feeds from reputable news sites, so the stories won't get that old before being removed from the feed.