PDA

View Full Version : i43 Clan Box?

Chalex4
21st May 2011, 03:06 AM
So, who's up for a luxury clan box?

A Clanbox is a private room that you and your friends can have all to yourselves, assuming you can fill it of course!

Located in private suites around the venue, the Clanboxes are essentially private meeting / dining rooms that we convert into little LAN gaming boxes of win! They are very luxurious, with their own air conditioning and are all fully lockable. We have two different sizes of Clanbox, which you will need 32 or 36 people with paid tickets to fill. SOURCE (http://iseries.multiplay.co.uk/faq/what-is-a-clanbox/)

I've got some mates at uni who are going with their COD team, but as there are only 8 of them they are looking to join up with us for a clanbox!

Not sure if we would want to do this, but worth seeing what you all think :). Could be fun.

Colonel Mitch
21st May 2011, 03:39 AM
Depending on the layout (reading multiplay posts it looks like it could be a decent size room (about 100 people) literally 1 door from the main hall, with dividers if wanted between clans.

If this is the car i would definatley be all for this :)

The big hall atmosphere wasn't really to my taste compared to a smaller, but still large group

Target
21st May 2011, 10:28 AM
Sounds okay, not bothered either way, if I get a CoD team sorted then they might want to join us in their as well...will prob find out in the next couple of weeks...

Small room + lots of pc's = sweat fest

Vicious Horizon
21st May 2011, 10:33 AM
I dunno.. it all seems a bit segregated, and I love the whole open aspect that Stoneleigh had..

Isphera
21st May 2011, 10:46 AM
Depending on the layout (reading multiplay posts it looks like it could be a decent size room (about 100 people) literally 1 door from the main hall, with dividers if wanted between clans.

If this is the car i would definatley be all for this :)

The big hall atmosphere wasn't really to my taste compared to a smaller, but still large group

Agree with this. Looking back on it, the huge hall at stoneleigh was a major detractor in experience for me compared to newbury, so since there's enough of us, I'd like to go for either a box or one of the smaller rooms.

VoX
21st May 2011, 11:42 AM
Small room + lots of pc's = sweat fest

Dedicated air con in the clan boxes.

And agree with Mitch, as long as it's not too segregated from the main event, definitely up for it.

ez64
21st May 2011, 12:21 PM
Dedicated air con in the clan boxes.

:D

Isphera
21st May 2011, 12:33 PM
Dedicated air con in the clan boxes

Sells it for me.

Calneon
21st May 2011, 12:41 PM
I'd like the clan box.

Kiliv
21st May 2011, 12:42 PM
Sells it for me.

and for me :D

Vicious Horizon
21st May 2011, 01:19 PM
Changed mind, would like it

Chazlene
21st May 2011, 03:53 PM
I dunno.. it all seems a bit segregated, and I love the whole open aspect that Stoneleigh had..

I agree with this, I think it's a bit antisocial really getting a clanbox, plus think about if we're promoting Novint or whoever again, and we want to use the projector.

Colonel Mitch
21st May 2011, 06:55 PM
Chazle raises some good points about advertising, but is calex actually going to get any this year?> he doesnt seem as focus as normal.

Setsoru
21st May 2011, 07:13 PM
sounds cool, as long as the other people we are with are cool, but theres no reason they wouldn't be :D

katakuna
21st May 2011, 07:42 PM
Don't you have to pay for clanboxes? If so where's all that money coming from :p

Colonel Mitch
21st May 2011, 07:52 PM
Don't you have to pay for clanboxes? If so where's all that money coming from :p

Dont think so kat so long as u have a big enough group

Target
21st May 2011, 08:39 PM
Yeh, there just limited so first come first serve, but we have loads of people going so should be okay

Chazlene
23rd May 2011, 02:55 PM
http://forums.multiplay.co.uk/insomnia43/82476-international-centre-venue-introduction

Click the link to see video.

Fuck those clan boxes.

Vicious Horizon
23rd May 2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah, that's a no to the clanbox, they're like, reeeeaaaaly small.

Isphera
23rd May 2011, 04:44 PM
Fuck those clan boxes.

Yeah, that's a no to the clanbox, they're like, reeeeaaaaly small.

Lol really - having seen it, it makes me want them more. Watch it again and imagine it without the chairs and with desks across the room and not around it - more than enough room.

Vicious Horizon
23rd May 2011, 04:54 PM
More than enough room; For 7 of us.

I was under the assumption there would be about 100 in the room with us, which I was up for, just having a couple of us would be a no imo

Chazlene
23rd May 2011, 05:00 PM
Seriously guys what is the attraction of a clan box? And we really can't have one if we're going to be using the projector to advertise.

Colonel Mitch
23rd May 2011, 05:02 PM
With the clan boxes, there is easily space for a good 30 people in rows of desks.

Although with them being not attached to the main hall they wont be as social as it could be.

Would still be happy with both.

Chalex4
23rd May 2011, 07:55 PM
I was thinking that surely it'd be a better idea to do the "normal" BYOC arrangement this year, so we'd get to experience this new venue properly and advertise to 3000 people :D.

Then we can check out the clan boxes, and make a real decision about it next year. At this point it's all speculation.

Vicious Horizon
23rd May 2011, 08:11 PM
Yeah I'm with Chalex on this one, we ca have a nosey at them this year and then make a decision for next year

Colonel Mitch
23rd May 2011, 08:43 PM
I was thinking that surely it'd be a better idea to do the "normal" BYOC arrangement this year, so we'd get to experience this new venue properly and advertise to 3000 people :D.

Then we can check out the clan boxes, and make a real decision about it next year. At this point it's all speculation.

Advertising you say.......

Target
23rd May 2011, 08:43 PM
If you get good sponsors chalex, then big hall would be win...like a decent mouse company would be nice...might get some free mice/keyboards, maybe not the big brands but like smaller gaming ones???

Isphera
23rd May 2011, 09:14 PM
Even with it, my vote still stays with clan boxes. I remember what Stoneleigh was like, and that many people in one space is just not fun.

They'll probs keep the lights off again....

Hutch
23rd May 2011, 10:20 PM
If you get good sponsors chalex, then big hall would be win...like a decent mouse company would be nice...might get some free mice/keyboards, maybe not the big brands but like smaller gaming ones???

Should read as
If you get good sponsors chalex, go for a mouse/keyboard company, as I really need a new mouse and you can get me a free one, to go with the mousemat I stole off you at i34, because I'm a pikey??????

Target
23rd May 2011, 10:40 PM
haha Hutch where di you learn to translate Northern??? But yes I would like a new mouse or gfx card???

Vicious Horizon
23rd May 2011, 10:41 PM
Who needs lights when you have monitors?

(DreamHack photos show how bright it can look)

Calneon
23rd May 2011, 10:47 PM
I think I would go blind if I had no light except my monitor for 3 days.

Target
23rd May 2011, 11:19 PM
/agree

Isphera
24th May 2011, 01:26 PM
/agree as well - and given the fuss they kicked up about lights being on at i34 and multiplay then refusing to turn them back on, unless that changed at i37, I have to assume something similar will happen here. With the clan box, we actually get light and have greater control as to what we do with the place in terms of conditions and what we do. Doesn't stop us having banners and/or projectors and walking round advertising with shirts.

Chazlene
24th May 2011, 01:52 PM
/agree as well - and given the fuss they kicked up about lights being on at i34 and multiplay then refusing to turn them back on, unless that changed at i37, I have to assume something similar will happen here. With the clan box, we actually get light and have greater control as to what we do with the place in terms of conditions and what we do. Doesn't stop us having banners and/or projectors and walking round advertising with shirts.

To be honest the minor luxuries of air con and being able to use a light switch does not outweigh the social aspect of being in one of the main gamer halls.

Vicious Horizon
24th May 2011, 02:26 PM
/agree with Chazl

Calneon
24th May 2011, 02:45 PM
To be honest the minor luxuries of air con and being able to use a light switch does not outweigh the social aspect of being in one of the main gamer halls.
What do you mean? You're still in the same room as 36 other people. Is that not enough for you?

Vicious Horizon
24th May 2011, 02:58 PM
What do you mean? You're still in the same room as 36 other people. Is that not enough for you?

With me it's not, it'll be just like a bedroom LAN-Party, except I'm paying nearl £100 for the privilege.

Calneon
24th May 2011, 03:21 PM
With me it's not, it'll be just like a bedroom LAN-Party, except I'm paying nearl £100 for the privilege.
At i40, did you interact with anybody outside of the two rows we had?

Target
24th May 2011, 03:37 PM
No he needs 3000 sweaty men

Vicious Horizon
24th May 2011, 03:39 PM
At i40, did you interact with anybody outside of the two rows we had?

Yeah I did, actually. I had a couple of mates on the floor below and there were plenty of people who popped in at the side of our row that I had a chat to.

Besides, the feel of being out in the open with everyone else was good, I don't personally see the point in segregating ourselves from the other 3000 people going for the sake of a lightswitch and better Aircon..

The rooms are tiny, the only reason I wanted a clanbox in the first place was because I thought it was going to be a good 100 people in the room who are all part of clans, not a small room a whole corridor away from the event.

---

Arguments For and Against clanboxes:

FOR
We can turn lights on and off
No CoD kids screaming
Aircon
Windows

AGAINST
No Advertising
Little to no Atmosphere
We don't know what it'll be like
Less people around
No reason to get free stuff from Sponsors
Further away from everything
Detracts from the whole 'big-LAN' point of the iSeries

Isphera
24th May 2011, 05:23 PM
AGAINST
No Advertising
Little to no Atmosphere
Less people around

How do we not get advertising? So what we are in a clan box? We still have shirts to be seen around the venue, and last I checked, most of us are entering the big tournaments and have a chance at going onto the KO stages of at least one. And as said, we can always have banners and projectors outside the clan box. In terms of getting things from sponsors, I think the primary concern should be minimising the costs of us going, such as a subsidy on T-Shirts over products, as this makes it easier for us to spend on the weekend, as well as being cheaper for the company (if one is in place to sponsor us).

The atmosphere of the main hall is warped by the size from the cosy, social aspect at NRC to an imposing mass pushing you towards the people your with and causing it to be less social with the rest of the LAN. With the clan box, whilst you have less people around, it's all people you know, and when are you gonna go rolling around like a gaming prostitute looking for someone to play with. The clan boxes are located above the two halls, and everything is collected together, so the 'not being close' aspect is a flawed argument.

In fairness, since this is going to be a new move, you don't actually know what the huge halls will be like either, but having seen videos and spoken to people with clan boxes, we have a good idea as to what we will get from it. Sure, the size might be bigger, and (an addendum to the person point), we may even be sharing with another clan, so your worries of 'OMG I cant speak to people outside of ATK that I'll never speak to again' should be laid to rest.

And on the 'big-feel' - if that was the idea for the iSeries, then why would they offer the clan boxes? I believe that the idea of an iSeries should be to attend as a group of friends, a clan and/or community, and enjoy playing games with them with the added benefit of meeting IRL as well as doing IRL activities such as BBQ's, Bowling, putting people in bins, tackling the people with the most expensive camera equipment to the ground etc. With the clan boxes, it gives us a more pleasant, controlable environment to do this, as well as get away with things that might not be allowed in the main hall due to the other people.

I am a bit dismayed though, as you have greatly simplified the arguments in favor of the clan boxes. Hopefully this passage should give people a better understanding of why we should take the clan box option. I believe that we are at a size now where such a move could benefit us greatly.

katakuna
24th May 2011, 05:23 PM
Yeah I did, actually. I had a couple of mates on the floor below and there were plenty of people who popped in at the side of our row that I had a chat to.

Besides, the feel of being out in the open with everyone else was good, I don't personally see the point in segregating ourselves from the other 3000 people going for the sake of a lightswitch and better Aircon..

The rooms are tiny, the only reason I wanted a clanbox in the first place was because I thought it was going to be a good 100 people in the room who are all part of clans, not a small room a whole corridor away from the event.

---

FOR
No CoD kids screaming
Aircon
Windows

AGAINST
No Advertising
Little to no Atmosphere
Less people around

* katakuna likes this

Target
24th May 2011, 05:25 PM
If your not google, don't act like you know everything

Vicious Horizon
24th May 2011, 05:46 PM
Target, who were you talking to?

Chazlene
24th May 2011, 05:56 PM

No it's not good enough. I can remember having so much fun at i34 and i37 due to the fact we were in a massive room, with the conga lines, chanting, throwing stuff about, etc. I seriously think if we were in a clan box we'd feel isolated from the rest of the event and end up getting bored a lot. Plus we might as well have a lan at someone's house if you'd prefer to be in a small room just by ourselves.

Colonel Mitch
24th May 2011, 06:19 PM

FOR
No CoD kids screaming (except Target)
Better Aircon
Windows
Security
Chance to bring thinks like maybe alcohol in

AGAINST
Less people around (isolation)
Slightly (1 Corridor) Further away from everything

I've tidied VH's For and against up with a significantly less biased view.

The No Advertising and Little to no Atmosphere are both completely up to us. Out 2 rows at Newbury were where the majority (im not saying all) of the ATK banter happened. Obliviously you can still go into the LAN and see people there or bring them back to our room, and the same with advertsisng.

As for We don't know what it'll be like, I dont think its fair to put I DONT LIKE CHANGE as a reason... weve never even been tho this venue before so you could put that on FOR and AGAISNT if you want.

As i said before I dont mind either way, but that post by VH was so incredibly biased I thought I should tidy it up :P

CILLIT BANG
24th May 2011, 06:33 PM
group masturbation sesh in clan box? is that another for?

Vicious Horizon
24th May 2011, 06:35 PM
You know what, fuck it, have the clan-box.

Colonel Mitch
24th May 2011, 06:36 PM
ofc it was incredibly biased, I don't want the clanbox, I'm entitled to show my opinion in any way that I want ;)
And the revised list you've made is biased towards keeping the clan box, if you were aiming for neutrality.

/margh

How is it biased towards having the clanbox?

Vicious Horizon
24th May 2011, 06:38 PM
Lol at my ninja-edit the second you quote that post.

Same reason my post was biased?

CILLIT BANG
24th May 2011, 06:39 PM
tbh i dont care il sit anywhere aslong as its not next to DK or neer Dk or even if i can smell DK in the building ... is DK dead im assuming so

Chazlene
24th May 2011, 06:47 PM
group masturbation sesh in clan box? is that another for?

Good point, might have to change my mind then.

Chalex4
24th May 2011, 06:57 PM
There are as many points for a clan box as there are against one. It's just difference in opinion.

When I was at i33 with just Cal and Trig I was sitting next to some randomer and had an absolutely awesome time with him over the weekend playing a bunch of games. We still chat on Steam every now and again. So, just because you don't chat to the 2980 other people, doesn't mean others won't.

You can probably tell, but my opinion now has most definitely swayed to being in the main hall.

Also, although the clan boxes aren't bad, I absolutely loved how everyone really knew there was an ATK presence at i40. You can see 20 people sat in red shirts a mile off, and it's great promo. Sponsors simply wouldn't get as good a deal if were were hid away in a room.

Finally though, ATK is a community. We are open to everyone and need to appear that way. If we're sat in the main room, we're a hell of a lot more approachable. Anyway, didn't we meet ez64 that way? If we sat in a clan box that year, he wouldn't be a member!

Target
24th May 2011, 07:26 PM
BOOM

Chazlene
24th May 2011, 07:54 PM
There are as many points for a clan box as there are against one. It's just difference in opinion.

When I was at i33 with just Cal and Trig I was sitting next to some randomer and had an absolutely awesome time with him over the weekend playing a bunch of games. We still chat on Steam every now and again. So, just because you don't chat to the 2980 other people, doesn't mean others won't.

You can probably tell, but my opinion now has most definitely swayed to being in the main hall.

Also, although the clan boxes aren't bad, I absolutely loved how everyone really knew there was an ATK presence at i40. You can see 20 people sat in red shirts a mile off, and it's great promo. Sponsors simply wouldn't get as good a deal if were were hid away in a room.

Finally though, ATK is a community. We are open to everyone and need to appear that way. If we're sat in the main room, we're a hell of a lot more approachable. Anyway, didn't we meet ez64 that way? If we sat in a clan box that year, he wouldn't be a member!

http://images.dailyfill.com/229418f17a8340cc_92bb2cded7a50752_o.jpg

Isphera
24th May 2011, 07:59 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/1/26/youweakminded128458908497515000.jpg

Have a poll when all the information comes out, then see.

Target
24th May 2011, 08:29 PM
You mad VH? . .. . its pretty unlikely we will even get a clan box as other teams/groups will get there first....not bothered either way i43 will be epic

Vicious Horizon
24th May 2011, 09:12 PM
You mad VH? . .. . its pretty unlikely we will even get a clan box as other teams/groups will get there first....not bothered either way i43 will be epic

no u

Chalex4
25th May 2011, 01:18 AM
Hahaa nice one guys. At the end of the day, they're called clan boxes for a reason. The real community vibe is going on in the main hall. Who would really want to miss that?!

katakuna
25th May 2011, 01:19 AM
No clan box it is then :)

CILLIT BANG
25th May 2011, 01:57 AM
now we gta masturbate in public ;(

Isphera
25th May 2011, 06:38 AM
No clan box it is then :)

I still say have a poll once all the information comes out. From what I gather, if some of the boxes turned out to be about 100-150 people in a seperate area as well, I know at least two people on the 'OMG Clan Box - no plox' would change their mind. Even it stays as it looks, I'd still say a poll just to make sure.

ez64
25th May 2011, 12:34 PM
Great hall was good for all the winners still up at 4-8am which were pretty few and far between so we just made teams on css with each other :)

VoX
30th May 2011, 12:50 PM
£10 extra per ticket for a clanbox. Yeah, main hall it is.

Vicious Horizon
30th May 2011, 01:35 PM
^ - Truth has spoken.

Isphera
30th May 2011, 02:19 PM
£10 extra? Seriously WTF. As much as I want it, it's not worth that.

ez64
30th May 2011, 03:13 PM
£10 extra per ticket for a clanbox. Yeah, main hall it is.

Need an apt multiplay money grabbing picture :D

If we all bring one of these on the day though you can have the clanbox seat for free,

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/4de/34e/4de34e52-aaa9-4233-9d39-2b3a6e22dd24

Chalex4
30th May 2011, 06:50 PM
£10 extra? Seriously WTF. As much as I want it, it's not worth that.

Although I didn't really want to be in one anyway, I totally agree. £5 would be reasonable, but on top of an already pricey ticket it's a shame they have to charge so much.

Isphera
1st June 2011, 08:02 PM
Although I didn't really want to be in one anyway, I totally agree. £5 would be reasonable, but on top of an already pricey ticket it's a shame they have to charge so much.

http://www.funinblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/money_grab.jpg