PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8

Calneon
2nd June 2011, 02:58 PM
Looks like i'll be sticking with Windows 7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I&feature=youtu.be

katakuna
2nd June 2011, 03:42 PM
Saw this earlier, looks too much like xbox

Hutch
2nd June 2011, 03:51 PM
Some of the icons in the browser look scarily like iOS

katakuna
2nd June 2011, 05:39 PM
I also noticed, based on how he spoke about 'new fullscreen applications' that this is going to completely fuck up every application that ever existed for windows ever.

Kiliv
2nd June 2011, 08:27 PM
Saw this earlier, looks too much like xbox

lol my first thought was surely its windows phone 8 xD

Paper Tiger
2nd June 2011, 09:38 PM
Well, that's horrible. I'd rather run a Linux distro than that! Much rather. It's too clicky!

Few thoughts I have on it are:
How will it run with dual screen displays? How is it 'faster to switch between apps' when you have to cycle through them one by one. What if you're a program-whore and have lots of 'apps' running, it'll take a long time to find the one you want. Why are they calling them 'apps' now, instead of programs? Too much like Apple and iOS.

Things I like, however:
The splitting of the screen made simpler. Though it's just a lazy way of doing it, it does make it easier, as all you have to do is click and drag, rather than resize both of the windows, and you can easily swap out the windows you wish to view. I'm glad they're keeping some of the old features

There's not much I can think of that I like to be honest... As people have said, it's too much like the dashboard on the 360...

Colonel Mitch
2nd June 2011, 09:42 PM
This looks like what I was expecting Windows 7 to be when they said they were revolutionizing everything.

Either way unless there is a reason I must upgrade, chances are I wont.

That said, if there is an easy way to use it in desktop mode and alternate between the two modes i would probably quite like that, especially with the server in the living room using the kinect to operate it (which will probably be integrated into the OS) would be great for media etc

Calneon
2nd June 2011, 10:07 PM
The splitting of the screen made simpler. Though it's just a lazy way of doing it, it does make it easier, as all you have to do is click and drag, rather than resize both of the windows, and you can easily swap out the windows you wish to view.

In Windows 7 you can drag a window to the side of the screen and it will automatically fit to that half of the screen.

Paper Tiger
3rd June 2011, 12:50 AM
In Windows 7 you can drag a window to the side of the screen and it will automatically fit to that half of the screen.

I know it 'snaps' to that half, but the fact you can simply resize it to more or less and the other windows will resize at the same time is just a fair bit easier than having to snap one, then resize, snap another, then resize that too.

Calneon
3rd June 2011, 01:44 AM
I know it 'snaps' to that half, but the fact you can simply resize it to more or less and the other windows will resize at the same time is just a fair bit easier than having to snap one, then resize, snap another, then resize that too.
Yeah, it does look easier.

VoX
3rd June 2011, 12:18 PM
Looks very tablet orientated.

Chalex4
6th June 2011, 12:56 AM
Guys, the traditional windows is there too! You can switch between the two interfaces completely seamlessly. Of course, the traditional non-tablet interface has also had a LOT of work done to it. Just check out the beta leaks.

Either way, W8 looks like an incredible OS by Microsoft and I seriously can't wait for more info.

Target
6th June 2011, 01:33 AM
This is clearly because your working at Microsoft over summer, such a bum boy. I reckon your just going to be a tea boy and your like omg guys I work at Microsoft...have you told them that its taken you almost a year to make a 1hr and a bit video???

Hutch
6th June 2011, 01:34 AM
Guys, the traditional windows is there too! You can switch between the two interfaces completely seamlessly. Of course, the traditional non-tablet interface has also had a LOT of work done to it. Just check out the beta leaks.

Either way, W8 looks like an incredible OS my Microsoft and I seriously can't wait for more info.

I seriously can't wait for the i40 video

Chalex4
6th June 2011, 10:10 AM
While I'm at university, my priorities are university and everything that surrounds it. The i40 video, because it's been on and off around uni life, has taken a while. Of course, way longer than I'd have liked. Either way, now I have 3 solid weeks of exams, starting today. There is no way the video will be produced until they are completely over, so please just get over it.

Any more off topic posts in this thread will be deleted. Windows 8 rocks, and I have no extra info than you guys do about it. Massively hoping I get early beta access though :D.

Calneon
6th June 2011, 11:27 AM

Either way, W8 looks like an incredible OS by Microsoft and I seriously can't wait for more info.
But, it's something I'd never use on my desktop, so even if I can switch between them seamlessly it's still bloated crap taking up my system resources for no benefit. Unless you can completely uninstall the tablet stuff and boot into the traditional interface, I don't like it.

ez64
6th June 2011, 01:01 PM
But, it's something I'd never use on my desktop, so even if I can switch between them seamlessly it's still bloated crap taking up my system resources for no benefit. Unless you can completely uninstall the tablet stuff and boot into the traditional interface, I don't like it.

Just like the crock with windows xp media center edition I'm sure it will be just a services disable run through to sort it all out.